game system

May I recommend, for rpg...nothing beats a pouch full of dice, a good set of updated AD&D manuels, some graph paper and extra sharp pencils, some refreshments like pizza, yoo-hoo and pork rinds....and your imagination...can't be beat!

What about Space Hulk or Hero Quest???

yeah it looks like we're going to try to get a Wii. but i hear they can be difficult to find. hopefully we'll have a bit of luck :)

I own all three systems. The Wii is a blast and the motion controllers works great. The graphics are fine but dont compare to the xbox 360 or playstation 3. Yes the Wii graphics on Metroid are fantastic and compare to the others but it doesnt do HD. Now with the PS3 you get a game system that will play blue rays. The xbox 360 wont do hd dvd out of the box. So in my opinion your choice should be either the Wii or PS3. The PS3 is gaining ground on the others as far as game releases. Plus it plays blue ray !!!!!! And its price is getting better. Oh hell get the Wii !!! Bowling is so cool and you can download all the old classic games. And it will play Gamecube disks.

thanks for all the input everyone. :) the Wii just sounds like too much fun. maybe at a later date we'll get one of the others but we're going to start with the Wii :)

A PC.

Consoles become obsolete and you can't upgrade them. A decent PC will keep you going for a lot longer, they will always be ahead of the game, and you can put together a decent gaming pc for pretty much the same price as a PS3.

Also PC games usually cost less than console games.

That said, I really like my Dreamcast.

This guy has NO idea what he's talking about. Sorry dude....

PS3 - 500
360 - 479 (elite)
Wii - 250

PC - 100-250 for a decent mobo
300-400 for a decent video card (mine was 500 at the time I got it *X1900XTX*) Now they're DX10, so you need a DX10 card and board
my processor was 468 when it was new (X2 4400+)
Fast Hard drive (raptor 10krpm - 100-200 bucks)
You need a case, monitor, peripherals, drives, etc. For a rig that will even be comparable to a next-gen rig would cost at LEAST double...and games are usually only 10 dollars cheaper........I mean c'mon.....:rolleyes:

I paid about 2000 for my rig when I got it all brand new(not including monitor(~300) or peripherals(~100)). It was the best of the best, and is already outdated HEAVILY ( Now there's: DDR2 hyperdrive chips, quad cores, directX 10, etc. etc.) My rig is only 1.5yrs old. the PS2 came out in 1999 and STILL has games launching for it. The normal life expectancy of a console is around 10 years (which wasn't the case for legion's beloved failed dreamcast...) So, not only do you get that, you get this:

Uniformity. Because so many computers are running so many components, developers can't optimize for one rig. They have to make it run evenly across the board, which hurts most high-end rigs... *Remember the Oblivion Framerate nightmare?* Consoles are made EXACTLY the same, so developers can squeeze every ounce of power out of the consoles, and make them run smooth as silk every time (because they can't test 10 million different hardware configurations).

Get a Wiii for the kids and be done with it.

/end rant

PS3 - 500
360 - 479 (elite)
Wii - 250

300-400 for a decent video card (mine was 500 at the time I got it *X1900XTX*) Now they're DX10, so you need a DX10 card and board
You need a case, monitor, peripherals, drives, etc. For a rig that will even be comparable to a next-gen rig would cost at LEAST double...and games are usually only 10 dollars cheaper........I mean c'mon.....:rolleyes:

I paid about 2000 for my rig when I got it all brand new(not including monitor(~300) or peripherals(~100)). It was the best of the best, and is already outdated HEAVILY ( Now there's: DDR2 hyperdrive chips, quad cores, directX 10, etc. etc.) My rig is only 1.5yrs old. the PS2 came out in 1999 and STILL has games launching for it. The normal life expectancy of a console is around 10 years (which wasn't the case for legion's beloved failed dreamcast...) So, not only do you get that, you get this:

Uniformity. Because so many computers are running so many components, developers can't optimize for one rig. They have to make it run evenly across the board, which hurts most high-end rigs... *Remember the Oblivion Framerate nightmare?* Consoles are made EXACTLY the same, so developers can squeeze every ounce of power out of the consoles, and make them run smooth as silk every time (because they can't test 10 million different hardware configurations).

Get a Wiii for the kids and be done with it.

/end rant

Uhhh....never mind!

Anyways, I think the PC vs Console debate isn't gonna be settled any time soon. I really miss high-end RTS games like company of heroes on my PS3 :(

How much are PS3 games with you? They run at 100 bucks over here.

:rolleyes:

PS3 - 500
360 - 479 (elite)
Wii - 250

I paid about 2000 for my rig when I got it all brand new(not including monitor(~300) or peripherals(~100)). It was the best of the best, and is already outdated HEAVILY ( Now there's: DDR2 hyperdrive chips, quad cores, directX 10, etc. etc.) My rig is only 1.5yrs old.

You don't need to buy the best of the best of the best to get a decent gaming PC. If your rig is 1.5 years old, then I'll be pretty sure it still runs most games pretty good, and I'm pretty sure that it would cost a hell of a lot less to build. My PC is at least twice as old as that. I'm still running new games. It cost me about £100 to get a better video card.

You can build a decent gaming rig on a budget of £400. That's pretty much what you'd pay for a PS3 over here. It won't be the best in the world ever or anything, but it will be able to pull off what a PS3 can pull off, and it'll be future proof. You certainly don't need a £300 video card.

And I'm not including a monitor in the cost that the same way as a TV isn't included in the cost of a PS3. And yeah you could say "well everyone has a TV", but I don't have a TV, and I'm sure I'm nt the only one. :)

And games over here cost around £50 for consoles. £25 for PC. That's a big thing for me. I still use consoles aswell as PC's, and I dont have half as many console games as I do PC games.

the PS2 came out in 1999 and STILL has games launching for it. The normal life expectancy of a console is around 10 years (which wasn't the case for legion's beloved failed dreamcast...)

Yeah, and the PS2 is looking pretty dated. And you can't upgrade it.

And the Dreamcast failed because of shitty marketing.

And we've been through all of this, and I conceded that a Wii was probably better for Nicole's needs anyway.

Last edited:
Probably too late, but I'll throw in my two cents. I would have gotten the Wii if they were easier to find last xmas and if I wasn't such an HD whore. I think my girlfriend and I would play together a lot more had I gotten it instead of the Xbox360, so the Wii definitely isn't a bad choice.
That said, I couldn't be happier with the xbox360. IMO the biggest thing they have to offer is the online community, which is light years ahead of anyone else. Yeah, you have to pay, but it's $60 for the whole year which is well worth it considering the amount of entertainment it provides. It's a blast playing with people online, whether it's long distance friends, or people you meet randomly online (to avoid the punk ass kids, there's a few websites for older gamers like adultgamingenthusiasts.com (AGE) with cool people that are mostly casual gamers). AGE also organizes racing, shooter and golf tournaments/leagues. It really is quite a blast.

But you're wrong.... You need a DX10 board AND graphics card to get what the ps3 has to offer, not to mention hardware sound (SB X-fi for example). They're running at 30fps on 1080p which is pretty impressive, not to mention you need decent peripherals... The logitech g9 gaming mouse I'm getting is 90 bucks...sure you could run bare minimums on a semi-decent rig, but that's NOT comparable in any way to a console. Consoles are configured to run at max graphics.... Ever wonder why there are no "world detail" and "player detail" sliders on consoles? cause there's no need to turn things off in order to get it to play decently. Albeit far from me to say PC gaming is bad (I prefer it actually).....it's just FAR more expensive when you take it from 20fps casual 1024 X 768 to dual 1680 x 1050 running 90fps and up....

Also, convert to external drives, and completely submerge your internals in mineral oil or baby oil.....you will be EXTREMELY impressed. you can overclock HUGE, and run UNDER normal temp....it's pretty sweet...

If you buy an older system like a regular Xbox, you will be able to get tons of games cheap! You can get games off ebay all day long for $5.00 to $10.00 instead of the $60.00 or so for a newer game system. Besides the regular Xbox is a very fun system.

Good luck!

F.S.

But you're wrong.... You need a DX10 board AND graphics card to get what the ps3 has to offer, not to mention hardware sound (SB X-fi for example). They're running at 30fps on 1080p which is pretty impressive, not to mention you need decent peripherals... The logitech g9 gaming mouse I'm getting is 90 bucks...sure you could run bare minimums on a semi-decent rig, but that's NOT comparable in any way to a console. Consoles are configured to run at max graphics.... Ever wonder why there are no "world detail" and "player detail" sliders on consoles? cause there's no need to turn things off in order to get it to play decently. Albeit far from me to say PC gaming is bad (I prefer it actually).....it's just FAR more expensive when you take it from 20fps casual 1024 X 768 to dual 1680 x 1050 running 90fps and up....

Also, convert to external drives, and completely submerge your internals in mineral oil or baby oil.....you will be EXTREMELY impressed. you can overclock HUGE, and run UNDER normal temp....it's pretty sweet...

Nonetheless, I still prefer PC's for their upgradability. This in turn enables developers to push the envelope in games making without being stuck with the eventual limitations of a non upgradeable platform.

But it's horses for courses. You get different things from different machines. While PC's have the benefit of posssible customisation, consoles have the benefit of simplicity and the ability to play straight out of the box. Personally I love gaming, but I still can't justify buying any machine just for gaming. Not until I'm earning more money at least.

If you buy an older system like a regular Xbox, you will be able to get tons of games cheap! You can get games off ebay all day long for $5.00 to $10.00 instead of the $60.00 or so for a newer game system. Besides the regular Xbox is a very fun system.

Good luck!

F.S.

that's what I was gonna recommend. staying one generation behind is much easier on the wallet.

That said, I couldn't be happier with the xbox360. IMO the biggest thing they have to offer is the online community, which is light years ahead of anyone else. Yeah, you have to pay, but it's $60 for the whole year which is well worth it considering the amount of entertainment it provides. It's a blast playing with people online, whether it's long distance friends, or people you meet randomly online (to avoid the punk ass kids, there's a few websites for older gamers like adultgamingenthusiasts.com (AGE) with cool people that are mostly casual gamers). AGE also organizes racing, shooter and golf tournaments/leagues. It really is quite a blast.

I agree. Xbox Live is the shit, and at 50 bucks a year for a subscription, it's more than a deal. Tons of games are Xbox Live compatible now so there's something for everyone. I love it.

When you guys get it all worked out as to which system is the best, tell my wife....I want one...:D

Back