Food gardening

Why the fuck would you put a car in a garage?
who said anything about a garage? We're talking barns here, get with the program. Lots of critters living in there. Not sure I want to interfere with there ecosystem. Groundhogs, mice, bird nests, snakes, lots of spiders, all kinds of critters, like a mini zoo. The guys who mow the hay asked if I wanted to have their goats come over and clear the hillsides. There used to be goats here. I told them no, I want it to revert back to nature. Why? I was asked. I told them how much better it was for the environment and they had to agree.

Last edited:
One ornamental and two food plants planted within the hour:

Ornamental succulent and here flowers fell off re: too much time in the container with no water

Papaya. Wayyyyyyyy too long in a container and innate-rooted it getting the 3 stalks out so we’ll see. She has a slow trickle of water that I’ll keep steady as she goes through shock of bare root. The chick that owns the house and my little ‘casita’ behind it buys plants in containers or has her maintenance guys pot cuttings and stalks, all to make the place look better for the 30 mins she stops by every couple of weeks, and then just leaves them. I recently took up the planting role though the El Saladoran family of 6 in the house is supposed to donor as part of a reduced rent agreement, but they don’t.

IMG_0959.jpeg

Third is a banana and fairly recent purchase (2 weeks ago) and I’ve been watering its 3 gal container until just planted. It will shoot up pups and spread into a little grove when it gets acclimated.bit will give the little dwarf bananas. Just like what you see in a major retail chain but about half the size. They shoot out a pretty bulbous flower when they do then the little bunch of bananas develop under it.

Several fruit trees grow beautifully in south Florida including banana, Papaya, Mango, Florida Avocado (not the little Hass variety, the big ones), Starfruit, Citrus, Sapodilla/Sapote, Breadfruit (never actually tried breadfruit but islanders love it) and it’s in every Jamaican market, Coconut Palms ,love coconut, both the water (when the first fall) and the meat inside the nut (when they are brown). Date palms and Medjool dates.

IMG_0960.jpeg

Last edited:
Even better!

The slab alone is worth its weight in concrete 😁 Actually and then some…prep, form, deliver, screed, finish. $$$$

Geek spoiler alert, but concrete is my favorite of the many construction materials out there. Steel/aluminum/titanium are next but I’ve never worked with them except as fasteners or rebar.
It isn't a slab, dirt floor, concrete foundation around it. I do have a slab about 15'x25' running up to the "greenhouse". There was probably a trailer on it at one time? Now it sits at about a 7 degree tilt!

It isn't a slab, dirt floor, concrete foundation around it. I do have a slab about 15'x25' running up to the "greenhouse". There was probably a trailer on it at one time? Now it sits at about a 7 degree tilt!
Lol, that’s a hell of a slope! Concrete foundation is still good to have but I assume if the floor inside igniting sloping that the foundation is as well.

If the outer foundation is somewhat even you could also remove the dirt, pour a slab and have a nice concrete patio or open walls and a roof for a nice tiki type chill/grill area
That would be a lot of cement. I would have to have a cement truck come up here. It is a bit away from the house. I already have a patio area we rarely use. You can see it in the pic after the carport and patch of grass. You can see the barn up on the hill.
crprt2.jpg

Back