Films - Good or Bad

Just got this in the mail yesterday... plan on watching it this weekend.
ARMOUROFGODBLU1_1024x1024@2x.jpg

His best film ever, but you wouldn't understand it unless you were British or Irish and over 40. A great film and a great piss take.

You will enjoy it even more so if you understand the subject matter. :-)
Looks like a good film from the trailer. But..... I don’t understand why you’d have to be British or Irish to comprehend it.
Care to elaborate?

You don't. It is full of action with twists and turns all over the place. But it helps if you know of the subject matter a little.

For the true movie lover.

MAY: starring Angela Bettis. This film would suck without her. But, her performance is so perfect and excellent, Roger Ebert actually campaigned to get her nominated for Best Actress in 2002. 2019 - 2022 she'd have been nominated and won.

CAMILLE: starring Sienna Miller and James Franco. If you like off-beat. Don't even watch this trailer. The twist in this is spectacular.

KAJILLIONAIRE: One of the best strangest films I've seen in a while. It wasn't till my second viewing I was able to tell the mother is Debra Winger.

FIGHTING WITH MY FAMILY: The best film I've seen in years.

OK this is starting to become a pretty cool thread....

So I watched this movie Once when I was on an flight back from China...fricking broke my heart, made me laugh n cry....Love the the theme song for it..I do a cover version of it...

Oh yeah the movie is called Once...

I want believable action and adventure or even action horrors. I don't want to think and I don't want to be depressed when watching a film. I want to be entertained.

Any ideas or suggestions?

OK this is starting to become a pretty cool thread....

So I watched this movie Once when I was on an flight back from China...fricking broke my heart, made me laugh n cry....Love the the theme song for it..I do a cover version of it...

Oh yeah the movie is called Once...

I bought this for a dollar. It was AMAZING. I didn't particularly like the music. It was good, not great. But, it's amazing what you can do with a little ingenuity.

This was shot on a Sony HVR-Z1 which was probably about 4 grand in 2007 or less. Here's one for sale now on ebay

Movies prior to Pieces of April, which showed that a movie shot on video could bring in audiences. Film stock and developing ate a nice portion of a lo budget film. A hell of a lot more than $4,000, probably closer to $20 - $30,000.

This won best song at the Oscars.

BANDITS: A 1997 German musical. Excellent soundtrack. A group of female prisoners start a band, and become overnight sensations. After seeing this, I flew to Germany twice to see the star Jasmin Tabatabai in concert.

NIAGRA, NIAGRA an almost forgotten film. Excellent performances by Robin Tunney, and Henry Thomas (Elliot from ET). Besides being a great film. It has one of the best folk soundtracks. I found both Lucinda Williams and Patty Griffin from this film.

it's amazing what you can do with a little ingenuity.

This was shot on a Sony HVR-Z1 which was probably about 4 grand in 2007 or less.
Why is the camera shaking all around? In a drama no less.

I asked why the marvel movies had so much camera shake. I was told it was to achieve a MPAA rating, they shake the camera to disconnect the kids from the movie's violence. So shaking the camera disconnects the viewer from the movie. Just to be clear. Something you absolutely would not want.

I asked why the marvel movies had so much camera shake. I was told it was to achieve a MPAA rating, they shake the camera to disconnect the kids from the movie's violence. So shaking the camera disconnects the viewer from the movie. Just to be clear. Something you absolutely would not want.
Camera shake is usually an age thing. Meaning that only new cameras have image stabilization. In old days about 6 years or more, they would use a Glidecam which you had to be skilled to use. Today they use computerised gimbals. But image stabalisation is improving all the time and very soon the camera will not need a stabalisation device.

When the camera shakes, they're shooting hand held. It's a "look". In the old days, they used tracks, and cranes and all kinds of other stuff. That's why nothing bobs while the camera moves.

Now there's all types of image stabilizers. There's another fancy name that escapes me. Some look like this -
1644094368920.png

Because cameras are so light weight now, keeping the image steady, while walking makes it shake a lot less. In a movie like Blair Witch Project, where they're running with the camera on, and there's no tripod, it can literally make you nauseous while watching.

Marvel does it sometimes, to add dimension of action. I just find it annoying.

I've said this a thousand times. A well written and acted movie, will probably go a longer way, than a beautifully shot movie with bad acting and a horrible script. Once Pieces of April was released. The movie game completely changed.

UNSANE: This hit film (which is excellent) was shot with an iphone 7. An IPHONE 7!

OK this one popped up after watching Once.... Frankly this seems like it is a pretty franking good movie about musicians making music. Frankly speaking, or is it Frank speaking?...I don't know because I can't see his lips moving. :laughings:

It's simply called Frank and is about a band and lead singer who wears a fake head all the time, on stage, off stage, all day, every day, day in and day out it is totally weird and entertaining..I'm about half way through it and I'm liking it..but I'm weird and wear a mask...when I am told to.

Wow and it is based upon a true story...that is bizzare and very cool...

Last edited:
I've never heard of that movie. I'll have to check it out.

I tend to enjoy films about musicians, That Thing You Do, One Trick Pony, Ray, The Jazz Singer, Music and Lyrics, Dreamgirls. I've got all of them.

OK this one popped up after watching Once.... Frankly this seems like it is a pretty franking good movie about musicians making music. Frankly speaking, or is it Frank speaking?...I don't know because I can't see his lips moving. :laughings:

It's simply called Frank and is about a band and lead singer who wears a fake head all the time, on stage, off stage, all day, every day, day in and day out it is totally weird and entertaining..I'm about half way through it and I'm liking it..but I'm weird and wear a mask...when I am told to.

Wow and it is based upon a true story...that is bizzare and very cool...

I have not seen this. I used to see it at BigLots for $3. One day I'll see it. It looks like my kind of film.

I have not seen this. I used to see it at BigLots for $3. One day I'll see it. It looks like my kind of film.
I did not realize that the link was a dead end once posted here on HR.com so Here's the address to the free youtube version...weird ...it does have a few "adult" parts but this is a dang cool movie

Back