Do you like living where you live?

Do you like where you live?

• Yes

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • I live next door to my mother in law. Wife says we are NOT moving.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

60's guy

Do you?

If you could move somewhere else....would you move?

I was born and raised in New England.

I still live in New England....don't see myself moving anytime soon. I still enjoy the seasonal changes.

I've entertained thoughts, now and then, of moving south or west to more of a temperate climate but watching the Weather Channel has convinced me that New England is still a good place to live and avoid events like major hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, river flooding, or severe drought.

It's funny, you're third option in the poll is exactly the situation I will be in in about 6-8 months. Right across the street. So yeah...

But isn't there something to deal with anywhere, a possibility of a natural disaster? When I first met the woman I'm married to I was living in Texas; I told her that I wouldn't ever leave Texas and then 2 years later ended up in Indianapolis. I do like the change; there are actually seasons here and I still, after 3 winters, don't mind shoveling snow. Better than dealing with the heat and humidity - not to mention the traffic - of Houston, IMO.

It's funny, you're third option in the poll is exactly the situation I will be in in about 6-8 months. Right across the street. So yeah...

But isn't there something to deal with anywhere, a possibility of a natural disaster? When I first met the woman I'm married to I was living in Texas; I told her that I wouldn't ever leave Texas and then 2 years later ended up in Indianapolis. I do like the change; there are actually seasons here and I still, after 3 winters, don't mind shoveling snow. Better than dealing with the heat and humidity - not to mention the traffic - of Houston, IMO.

I spent one night in Indianapolis in 1974 at a strip joint named the Hungry Eye or something like that. There was about 200 guys there and I swear that most of them were from Kentucky. I kid you not.

I told her that I wouldn't ever leave Texas and then 2 years later ended up in Indianapolis.

Funny you say that!! When I first married my wife, we were in Virginia. I always told her eventually we were going to move to Texas. She would reply, No, we're not. There are too many tornadoes, too many scorpions and too many ex-girlfriends. You're never going back!!

I'm originally from CT. No way could I ever move back there.

I'm originally from CT. No way could I ever move back there.
I was born and raised in Rhode Island and I moved to CT in 1980.

I can understand why you would never consider moving back to CT.

If I were to move....I wouldn't move back to CT either.

If I were to move.....moving back to RI or Maine would be a preference.

I grew up on the seashore of RI.....miss that.

I live in the typical Small Town, VA and I really like it here. A lot of people my age whine about how "boring" it is, but I don't really mind. Big cities are close enough where I could drive there and do "big city" if I wanted. Could see myself staying here my whole life, but in reality I'll probably be moving to a big city eventually due to my computer science background and hopefully career.

Do you?

If you could move somewhere else....would you move?

I was born and raised in New England.

I still live in New England....don't see myself moving anytime soon. I still enjoy the seasonal changes.

I've entertained thoughts, now and then, of moving south or west to more of a temperate climate but watching the Weather Channel has convinced me that New England is still a good place to live and avoid events like major hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, river flooding, or severe drought.

You'd like the whole Maryland/Delaware/Virginia/North Carolina area as well, since it's pretty much the same but less snow and warmer. Can't think of a single natural disaster we've had on that list for the past 40 years. It's a great geographical location...mountains to the west break up most big rain and snow storms, and jet stream helps push hurricanes back out to sea. I hear from a friend in Massachusetts that you guys get amazing weather during springtime up there though, so that's a plus.

I live in the Huon Valley in Tasmania.

It is a beautiful, safe and friendly place, and we've been here for over thirty years. I can't see myself going anywhere else.

I'm from Texas originally. Met my wife while going to school in Austin. Still have a mother and a couple of siblings in Houston, and relatives scattered all over that state. I can't see going back there to live. Too damn hot. Austin is the only Texas city that would really tempt me, but the expense and traffic make it seem like a different place than the laid back town I left in the late 80s. We are not crazy about Chicago, but it's liveable. Two or three months of snow and cold are easier to put up with than four or five months of Texas heat. We live right on the edge of the metro area where suburbia meets the cornfields, and work close by. So no commute in Chicago traffic to worry about. Still, we will probably downsize and leave here when we retire, not sure for where yet.

I grew up in a migrant hostel town called Cabramatta - made famous/infamous by the movie Little Fish. I now live in one of the little villages north of Wollongong. I miss Cabra - the people, the food and the culture. I like where I'm living but it's monocultural and often haughtily so.

All in all, I like where I live. Kansas City is a cheap place to live, relative to other metro areas in the US. My neighborhood is a quiet, low traffic, middle-class affair. Closer to the urban center, crime rate is much higher. Not that this part of town doesn't see its share of trouble, but my neighborhood rarely gets much trouble. I can be downtown or in Midtown in 15 minutes, but I rarely go there. I like my quiet little slice of America, and I don't find many reasons to venture out of it.

As much as I like the cost of living relative to my income, NW Missouri is still pretty redneck for my tastes. My wife and I have discussed moving to the Denver, CO area once her son is out of high school. Trouble is, property value there keeps skyrocketing and I'm not sure that we could afford to live there on our salaries. My company has an office in Denver, so keeping my job wouldn't be an issue.

Southern New England here. We live on a wildlife refuge and it's pretty secluded. I'm going to try to stay on this spot til I die, but I often think of moving to New Hampshire or Maine if we get booted down the road.

Hey my friend. Haven't seen you in a LONG time.
In a small suburb of St Louis here. Semi rural area, my property borders a couple of state parks. Like Tadpui pionted out, Missouri is a redneck state with two islands of civilization, KC and St Louis. Other than that, I love where I live.DSC02926.JPGThe view from my house.

Wow, that's one nice view Track Rat :cool:

I live in the suburbs just outside of Manchester. The town itself is pretty urban and nothing to particularly get excited about, but I like the house, we’ve got good neighbours, we’re close (but not too close) to family, and it’s convenient for amenities and the respective Greater Manchester satellite towns we both work in.

Being an impractical dreamer who grew up in Lancashire countryside, I'd love to move back out to the sticks (probably out towards the Peaks or down Cheshire way), but being a practical realist who’s always lived in the city, my wife wants to remain somewhere central with good shops and transport links.

I’m not sure which will win out when we come to move. Actually, I probably do, but I'd like to try and keep that dream alive for a little longer yet...

I spent 90% of my life in the Chicago suburbs. Two years ago I moved to Vegas and I couldn't be happier. To hell with the traffic, snow, humidity, dirt, attitude, etc... of Illinois.

All in all, I like where I live. Kansas City is a cheap place to live, relative to other metro areas in the US. My neighborhood is a quiet, low traffic, middle-class affair. Closer to the urban center, crime rate is much higher. Not that this part of town doesn't see its share of trouble, but my neighborhood rarely gets much trouble. I can be downtown or in Midtown in 15 minutes, but I rarely go there. I like my quiet little slice of America, and I don't find many reasons to venture out of it.

As much as I like the cost of living relative to my income, NW Missouri is still pretty redneck for my tastes. My wife and I have discussed moving to the Denver, CO area once her son is out of high school. Trouble is, property value there keeps skyrocketing and I'm not sure that we could afford to live there on our salaries. My company has an office in Denver, so keeping my job wouldn't be an issue.

I traveled for work to Kansas City every 4 months for probably 4 years back in 2001-2005. I was visiting a telecom company (Birch) who were bought out and closed shop. On the first weekend I was there I got up early Sunday morning and walked from the Hilton to the Arena (I think that's right). Anyway I walked from one end of downtown to the other and back. The whole area was old, run down, vacant buildings and completely dead. It was like everyone had moved out and abandoned the place.

When I got back to the hotel I mentioned my walk to the concierge and he was shocked I would take the risk of walking alone in downtown (even in daylight). He said he would never take the chance. Needless to say I never did that again, just to be safe.

I grew up in Winnipeg Manitoba until I was 12 (fond childhood memories), moved to Halifax Nova Scotia until I was 22 (depressing weather/boring), then transferred for work to Edmonton Alberta (winter for 6 months but similar to Winnipeg so I like it) where i met my wife and settled down. I doubt I'll ever move unless I win the lottery in which case I will be buying a place in Maui.

First 9 years of my life in the sticks of Quebec, then 5 years a half hour west of Boston, then 4 years (plus college summers) on Cape Cod - while college-monthing in Montreal and Boston. Stayed in Boston for several more years.
Then moved north of Boston, right on the New Hampshire border for the last 22 years.
I love being less than a half hour from the city with all its offerings, a half hour from the ocean, 1-2 hours from the mountains. As I get older (and after bad winters 3-4 years of the last 6), I'd love to move somewhere milder in the winter (Richmond area of Virginia looks nice), but too old now to look for a new job, and my 84-year-old mom still lives on Cape Cod and I need to get down there to help her out regularly.

As someone that was born and still lives in Rhode Island, I can't wait to move. Taxes are through the roof, cost of living is extremely high, not many jobs, etc. Thankfully the music scene here is fantastic. The level of musicianship that I get to jam with at some Open Mics is incredible. I routinely jam with current and former members of Roomful Of Blues, and Jimmie Vaughan's sax player is a frequent guest. And I occasionally get to jam with Duke Robillard. If I can talk my wife into it, I'd move further south (the Carolina's, Virginia, Maryland) and if I could swing it, spend the winters island hoping in the Mediterranean playing in bars for money I could drum up.

Born in Vermont and still here.

I'm in Central Vermont, which means I've traveled all 60 or so miles from where I was born. I was never much of a traveler, although I've seen some interesting places. Been up and down the eastern seaboard of the U.S. as far south as Sanibel Island near Fort Myers, Florida. Been to the Western US as far as . . . Niagara, N.Y. :facepalm: I've been east as far as Ireland and traveled through that country, and as far north and west in Canada as you can get, assuming you're a good swimmer - about thirty miles north of the Inuit fishing village of Aklavik, Northwest Territories, on the east side of the Mackenzie River delta. We were north of Inuvik and on the shores of the Beaufort Sea. I spent a summer on the tundra in the Caribou Hills there, working on a project of my older brother's involving infrared airphoto imagery from military arctic circle flyovers. My job was to act as mosquito bait, which role I acquitted with distinction.

We live in pretty wild woods - lots of black bear, for instance - but at the same time I'm a ten minute drive from the State House. Not bad if you don't need a panoramic view. Our view is pretty much hemlock and beech trees. In the winter my driveway requires four wheel drive or a winch; take your pick. I've been hoping to be able to move to the Champlain Islands at some point, but the bank account never cooperates with most of my plans. Instead I've been fixing up the garage. So we've been here for the last 25 or so years. After that long, a place kind of grows on you.

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 58
  • FIRST COAT OF STAIN.jpg
    FIRST COAT OF STAIN.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
As someone that was born and still lives in Rhode Island, I can't wait to move. Taxes are through the roof, cost of living is extremely high, not many jobs, etc. Thankfully the music scene here is fantastic. The level of musicianship that I get to jam with at some Open Mics is incredible. I routinely jam with current and former members of Roomful Of Blues, and Jimmie Vaughan's sax player is a frequent guest. And I occasionally get to jam with Duke Robillard. If I can talk my wife into it, I'd move further south (the Carolina's, Virginia, Maryland) and if I could swing it, spend the winters island hoping in the Mediterranean playing in bars for money I could drum up.

Lots of the Med is a pretty wet bleak place in Winter, mate.

Back