D160 or D1624??

Cratinus

given a price difference of less than $200 (on the used market) is the D1624 worth the extra cash??
i'd be mixing through an analog desk and was just wondering if i'd notice the benefits of "24-bit" clarity.
i've also heard that the 1624 is a bit noisy.
i record alot of acoustic instruments. thus extemporaneous noise is not a good thing...HOWEVER 24-bit clarity is probably to my advantage.
24-bit recording hogs up more disc space.
have any Fostex users had experience with BOTH machines?? using an analog mixer,..will the 24-bit capabilities of the 1624 really "outshine" the 160?? let me know what your thoughts are. cheers.

Cratinus,

Hopefully Skippy will see this and reply, as he is probably the best qualified and experienced with the "D" series.

I use a D160, a Soundcraft 24/8 analogue console and various other bits and pieces, (Not as many as I'd like to have:D ), and to date, for our purposes the D160 has been fine, although I have no doubt that the 24 bit facility will give better definition to certain subtleties within the music.

If the price difference is minimal, I would go for the 24 bit without hesitation.

The D1624 apparently had a noise problem in the H/drive cooling fan.........something which Skippy dealt with in detail here, possibly 18 months ago (do an extensive search on "D1624" or on Skippy's past posts).

Personally, already having a D160, my wish is to add an 8 or maybe 16 track analogue recorder, synched to the Fostex.............but that is going to cost me $3 - 4k Aust., that I don't have lying around at the moment.

Hope this helps.

ChrisO :cool:

Yes, it is worth it. I have 2 D1624s and am very glad for it- I did quite a bit of modification to mine to allow them to be used in the control room or in live location tracking situations without causing acoustic noise issues. You will find that the 24-bit capability will prove very useful for acoustic music: that will be a clear win.

For more info on the silencing mods I did, look here:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19703

I just finished up a 2-day location session tracking a 150-voice women's chorus in a very nice church venue, using one of my 1624s as the recorder. Every time I use the thing, I'm more happy with it- I can now pull the drive out of the one in the road rack, stick it into the one in the studio, and mix my brains out. After making the noise mods, the units have far exceeded my expectations- and they've been stone reliable.

skippy and ausrock,..many thanks for the responses. as i record ALOT of acoustic instruments i "figured" that the 1624 would be a better bet. i prefer the flexibility of mixing on an analog desk and i'm really not concerned with having "250 virtual tracks" per project. kudos to skippy for the "noise solution" on the 1624. if needed i'll consult your referenced post on the subject. cheers.
p.s. where can i purchase (if necessary) Dynamat??

Back