Crazy sad accident at this weekends gig

TAE

All you have is now
In the middle of our 911 memorial concert at Horsemens Park in Apple Valley 9-11-21 the huge American flag which had served as an incredible backdrop for the stage for our first set, suddenly was blown up over the drum riser...then down onto the stage where it picked up a mic stand and Brent Payne's 20 year old custom made Taylor 12 string and lifted bot 40+ feet into the air like they were nothing. For several minutes both the mic stand and guitar flew above the crowd seating area and the stage...This video captures the mic stand falling to the ground and the sad ending to Brents precious old friend. Hopefully repairable...maybe

That's effin' unreal, man! Before you mentioned the mic stand and guitar, my mind was racing with thoughts of a person or persons being fatally injured. I'm sooo glad that was not the case.

That's really a freaky thing to have happen. Just seeing that guitar hanging in the air was quite strange. It's the very definition of "if it can go wrong, it will go wrong". Hopefully he can get a luthier to restore it to glory.

In the middle of our 911 memorial concert at Horsemens Park in Apple Valley 9-11-21 the huge American flag which had served as an incredible backdrop for the stage for our first set, suddenly was blown up over the drum riser...then down onto the stage where it picked up a mic stand and Brent Payne's 20 year old custom made Taylor 12 string and lifted bot 40+ feet into the air like they were nothing. For several minutes both the mic stand and guitar flew above the crowd seating area and the stage...This video captures the mic stand falling to the ground and the sad ending to Brents precious old friend. Hopefully repairable...maybe

Holy fkn shit.

The Aspect ratio of the Taylor body provides the lift necessary for take off.

A Martin does not have this feature. Their guitars cannot fly...obviously.

Notice how strong the Taylor 1/4" machine heads are. The Martins 3/16" shaft would have bent causing a fall mid flight..

Those Taylor pieces held on for the whole ride. Bravo display of aerial superiority in acoustic guitars.

Last edited:
That's effin' unreal, man! Before you mentioned the mic stand and guitar, my mind was racing with thoughts of a person or persons being fatally injured. I'm sooo glad that was not the case.
Same thoughts

That was something that Hollywood would have made up.
Absolutely......I saw the whole thing happen from the moment Old glory slipped over the drums and in slow motion gently glid down onto the stage. Then she swooped up and out into the crowd with the mic stand and guitar ,then up up and away. One of the first things I thought of after it all happened, running the whole ordeal though my head was how absolutely unlikely and incredible that such a thing could occur. In Hollywood it would have taken dozen of takes to get that to happen but here in one fail swoop...gone with the wind.... Brent did call Taylor guitar...They'd never seen one so smashed... I mentioned Quickstraw McGraw and El Kabong to Brent but he's too young to know what I was talking about. Taylor recommended some Luthier out in Riverside who is called the guitar whisperer....He believes he can bring it back to life and make it still look pretty unbashed...

I'll do the thinning round here Bobalooie!

The Aspect ratio of the Taylor body provides the lift necessary for take off.

A Martin does not have this feature. Their guitars cannot fly...obviously.

Notice how strong the Taylor 1/4" machine heads are. The Martins 3/16" shaft would have bent causing a fall mid flight..

Those Taylor pieces held on for the whole ride. Bravo display of aerial superiority in acoustic guitars.
Yeah, but if it had been a Martin the poor guy would have lost an instrument that actually has a good tone.

Geezus.......being the owner of a Taylor 12 string, I really feel for Brent and regardless of someone else's opinion they're a damn fine splendid guitar.

You can tell Brent that some old guy "down under" feels for him.

8-)

Reactions: TAE
Way harsh Shep...way harsh ;)
Seriously though, it wouldn’t matter if it were a $99 Chinese shit box. If it is yours and you love it, watching it take flight wouldn’t be easy. No man should have to bear witness to the death of a loved one, even if that loved one is a Taylor.

Someone has a masters, passed the bar and has been studying Murphy's Law for way too long.. :)
Sad, though. Wouldn't want to see one of my guitars do that.

Back