Coincidence? I Think Not

Snowman999

Early this morning, I have the air conditioning on, and the flow is pointed at the rocking chair in front of the computer. I'm checking out a video on-line and as I rock back I get a high pitched sound in my right ear. When I rock forward it stops. I rock back, high pitch, forward it stops. I stop rocking and just move my head back as it would when I rock, and nothing. I did it over a dozen times, and only when the rocker moved back did the high pitch sound happen. I stood still for a few moments, and it was still there. It was the oddest thing. Since I always have some form of ringing in my ears, it didn't really bother me. It was just strange, because it was so distinct.

I wrote an email to my friends asking what it might have been. None had a clue. Today, Karen tells me about 4 people being shot a few blocks from our house at a hotel. It happened around 2:30am. When I was reading my friends responses, I saw I was emailing them a few minutes after the shooting. So, the high pitch was happening at the same time as the shooting.

Coincidence? I don't know.

Coincidence?
Maybe....or maybe there was some kind of alarm going off that you only picked up / could hear when you leaned back. In the realm of possibilities what do you think the high pitch could have been? Since it was only in the left ear maybe it was a real audible sound that only your left ear could hear OR maybe a pinched nerve that only effected the left ear.. Have you tried to recreate the experience? Was in your head or real physical audio or........cosmic audio like dead people sliding through to the next dimension...angels screaming in horror.....o_O

Maybe....or maybe there was some kind of alarm going off that you only picked up / could hear when you leaned back. In the realm of possibilities what do you think the high pitch could have been? Since it was only in the left ear maybe it was a real audible sound that only your left ear could hear OR maybe a pinched nerve that only effected the left ear.. Have you tried to recreate the experience? Was in your head or real physical audio or........cosmic audio like dead people sliding through to the next dimension...angels screaming in horror.....o_O
I actually hear sirens all the time. It wasn't an alarm, because it only happened when I rocked back in the rocker.

As I'm sitting here now, that sound is no longer happening. I never think too much about the ringing, because there's always something going on with my ears. Right now there's a crackling noise that sounds like crickets. Over half a century of blasting music with and without headphones will do that to you.

"the next dimension... angels screaming in horror"

Another coincidence. I can't record, because we're selling the house, and everything is located at the townhouse, except my guitars. They're going when we're leaving. I'm visiting screenwriting sites, and one is holding a contest for sci-fi scripts. I hate Sci-Fi. But, since I can't do anything with music, I thought I'd write a sci-fi script to enter. I have two months to do it. Years ago when I worked at a theatre, an actor was a physics teacher during the day and wrote a book about dimensions. He said "one day we'll be able to toss our garbage out a window and it'll disappear into a another dimension." Being ME, I responded "So, you want to pollute another dimension? What about the species living there?" He just looked at me like I was insane. That idea of going from one dimension to another is going to be the basis for my script. Now, the high pitched ringing when something awful is happening is going to be a point for the protagonist. Ideas come in the oddest manner.

About 40 years ago inspired by MC Eschers Another world I wrote a song called Other Worlds that had this set of lyrics in it.. FWIW before Pink Floyd did the wall.

I don't believe them
Don't trust them at all
They don't mean to deceive you
But with words they build up the wall
Climb over climb over
Come see for yourself
Life is one dimension
Don't get stuck on a shelf

other-world.jpg

MC Eschers Another world was made/drawn in 1947.

That man was Dutch. Well that figures. A great place for inspiration it seems. :-)

Last edited:
I have never even seen an episode of Star Trek. So, TNG is not for me. I'm already rethinking my screenplay, and whether it's worth the time. Though I have to say, the story is coming along. The only sci-fi I like is Star Wars and old 50s films. I consider Aliens and films like that horror more than sci-fi.

Though I do have to tip my hat to HG Wells and Jules Verne for their magnificent inventive minds when all they wrote weren't even ideas being floated around.

About 40 years ago inspired by MC Eschers Another world I wrote a song called Other Worlds that had this set of lyrics in it.. FWIW before Pink Floyd did the wall.

I don't believe them
Don't trust them at all
They don't mean to deceive you
But with words they build up the wall
Climb over climb over
Come see for yourself
Life is one dimension
Don't get stuck on a shelf
That's pretty nice. I can see how you have to preface it with before The Wall.
You got a cat?
One inside and many outside. I feel bad. We're only taking the 3 legged outside cat with us when we move. It'll die without us. It never leaves our property. But, Marti's been here since we moved in 2007. I've been feeding her all these years. She eats many other places. But, I'm gonna miss her. I hope the other people are around to feed her. I'd hate in her last years for her to starve to death.
Or a ray gun.
I'm working on it.

BTW: The shooting of 4 people at the hotel. It was a BACHELORETTE party. Man, the world has gone to absolute shit.

I have never even seen an episode of Star Trek. So, TNG is not for me. I'm already rethinking my screenplay, and whether it's worth the time. Though I have to say, the story is coming along. The only sci-fi I like is Star Wars and old 50s films. I consider Aliens and films like that horror more than sci-fi.
Jeez Snowman how old are you?

If you want inspiration on sci-fi. Then after the war for some reason the world went sci-fi mad for about 20 or 30 years and produced some excellent stuff largely forgotten about now. So have a look at the black&white 'Twilight Zone' tv series. Excellent stories and a new one each episode.

Yep most of the old 50' and 60's sci-fi films were quite original and good.

As an off shoot..........the old kids tv stuff Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlett, even Joe 90's specs, including Star Trek. It's amazing how much stuff in those programs that we use today. Mobile devices, supersonic passenger planes, hand held types of computers and scanners. They weren't even invented in the early 1960's when those programs were produced..........or were they?

Ah, but Gerry Anderson never envisaged a few things. Clocks, for example. Futuristic designs, weird shapes, but hands. No notion that 10:21 on a display would be the norm. He did use digital moving counters in count down to zero scenarios, but never a four digit clock. He never thought about glass panels you touch and swipe. Star Trek made leaps, and from the first series became about issues and even the big ones. Racism, gender stuff, history and even differences in speech and thinking we’re all subjects. Sci-fi history is incredibly interesting, even if the individual movies and shows were sometimes terrible.

Trouble was those series like 'Star Trek' just became silly. 'Space 1999' went the same way. 'UFO' was class, but not really futuristic. The puppet shows didn't have to do politics so they could carry on beating the baddies and inventing things.

There were others........ 'The Invaders' .....say a Quinn Martin production in a deep strong voice. :-) That was good showing how aliens can be just like us to take over the world.

'Invasion of the body snatchers' and 'The Thing' were both early 1950's creations and the remakes just a rehash of the same story. 'The Thing' story comes from a book of 1938!!!!

Jeez Snowman how old are you?

If you want inspiration on sci-fi. Then after the war for some reason the world went sci-fi mad for about 20 or 30 years and produced some excellent stuff largely forgotten about now. So have a look at the black&white 'Twilight Zone' tv series. Excellent stories and a new one each episode.

Yep most of the old 50' and 60's sci-fi films were quite original and good.

As an off shoot..........the old kids tv stuff Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlett, even Joe 90's specs, including Star Trek. It's amazing how much stuff in those programs that we use today. Mobile devices, supersonic passenger planes, hand held types of computers and scanners. They weren't even invented in the early 1960's when those programs were produced..........or were they?
I'm old. I was around for the original Star Trek first run. I watched about 15 minutes once at my friend's house. Her brother was a fanatic. I just couldn't get into it.

I love Twilight Zone. I guess that's sci-fi. Though I don't really consider it that. I put it more horror. Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlett and Joe 90s specs, I might have read the names when they were on. But, I never watched. They don't even ring a bell. I'm a horror fan.

I would gather that once the phone was invented and TV, that someone thought "wouldn't it be great if we could see the person we talk to on the phone?" Along with all the other inventions that followed.

When we'd go to Disney each year, one of the best places at MGM is the SCI-FI Diner. If you ever go, I highly recommend this restaurant. The food is good (Disney style). The ambiance is AMAZING. They show old sci-fi trailers, cartoons and News of the Future. They have a report on an image telephone, except it's from the future because it would cost thousands at the time. By the clothing, it's from the late 50s. They also have a really cool report from France. It's an egg fryer that is suspended in air by magnets. They fry the egg by the magnetic field. I still don't understand how that works.
1626195997917.png
You were daydreaming while you ran over you dog/cat tail.
Never. Though I do believe my cat is trying to kill me (I'm sure I deserve it). Whenever I'm walking down the stairs, she's sure to run in front of my feet to try and trip me.

Back