Cicadas

DM60

This was recorded with just my phone. When I measured on the phone, it was showing around 70dB. But I think you will find the frequency is what is piercing.
I thought I would share so others know what a true love song is. My understanding, they wait 17 years, come out, look for a mate, breed and die. The noise is to attract a mate, this is done with their wings.

What a life ;)

Attachments

• Cicada2.mp3
    970.2 KB
Last edited:
Yeah...lot noise..two or three weeks ...then they are gone. And the regular Cicadas come out.

LOL yeah it was about 17 years ago that Dobro posted about dealing with these little buggers I think in Singapore...17 years buried in the ground only to rise , procreate and then die within 60 days of emerging. I guess some "hatch" annually

They were all over our property the last time they were around. Nothing this year. I don't like bugs. They're the devil's spawn.

We are still having them although the volume had dropped some. I first posted about them May 26th. That's 3 weeks worth of carcasses on the driveway, noise all afternoon and early evening, and swarming around the trees while you try to cut grass. The other night I had one on my pants when I came inside from letting the dogs out. Walked into the kitchen and it jumped off to the floor. I also took my H4n out a few days ago to record them. It's interesting to listen to their song modulate up and down.

I remember an emergence in Illinois circa 1990, I think. My area had almost none, but a bit east and south, there were so many the road felt greasy while driving, and the volume was deafening.

TR, consider yourself fortunate having only one in your britches!

~dk

Back