Cat Facts...

true-eurt

Maneater
New email...perhaps I should have checked the facts to make sure they are all true...before I get flamed for NOT doing it.:D

CAT FACTS

95% of cat owners admit they talk to their cats.

A cat can either be left pawed or right pawed.

A cat can jump as much as 7 times its height.

A cat can spend 5 or more hours a day grooming itself.

A cat can sprint at about 31 mph.

A cat cannot see directly under its nose.

Cats have 230 bones in their body, whilst humans have 206.

Cats have 4 rows of whiskers.

A cat can see about 6 times better at night than a human can.

A cat that bites you from rubbing its stomach is often biting from pleasure, not anger.

A cat will almost never meow at another cat, this noise is targeted for humans.

Cats will never break a sweat because they have no sweat glands.

A cats brain is more similar to a humans than a dogs.

A cats ear can pivot 180 degrees.

A feline's jaws cannot move sideways.

A cat's normal body temperature is about 101.5 degrees Fahrenheit.

A 15 year old cat has probably spent 10 years of its life sleeping.

A group of adult cats is called a clowder.

A group of kittens is called a kindle.

A large majority of white cats with blue eyes are deaf.

All cats are born with blue eyes.

Americans spend more on cat food than on baby food.

Black cat superstitions originated in America. In Asia and England, a black cat is considered lucky.

Cats average 16 hours of sleep a day, more than any other mammal.

Cats can donate blood to other cats.

Cats can predict earthquakes. We humans are not 100% sure how they do it. There are several different theories.

Cats can see color. Studies have shown that cats can distinguish between red and green; red and blue; red and gray; green and blue; green and gray; blue and gray; yellow and blue, and yellow and gray.

Cats have a homing ability that uses its biological clock, the angle of the sun, and the Earth's magnetic field.

Cats have five toes on each front paw, but only four toes on each back paw.

Cats love to hear the sound of their own name and your voice, so talk to them often.

Cats purr at about 26 cycles per second, the same frequency as an idling diesel engine.

Cats use more than 500 muscles to leap, jump, and sprint.

Human painkillers such acetaminophen (Tylenol) are toxic to cats. Chocolate is also poisonous to cats.

In relation to their body size, cats have the largest eyes of any mammal.

It has been scientifically proven that stroking a cat can lower one's blood pressure.

suprstar

It aint ez being green
CAT FACTS - Cats can predict earthquakes. We humans are not 100% sure how they do it. There are several different theories.

Anyone ever hear of a cat predicting the phone ringing? I swear when I was a kid our family's cat would go by the phone and meow a second or 2 before it rang. Happened way too many times to be coincidence. Did old phones circa 1980 emit some EMF or inaudible high freq's or something while initializing the connectino or something? They musta did something, cuz it freaked us all out..

Oancient1

Anyone ever hear of a cat predicting the phone ringing? I swear when I was a kid our family's cat would go by the phone and meow a second or 2 before it rang. Happened way too many times to be coincidence. Did old phones circa 1980 emit some EMF or inaudible high freq's or something while initializing the connectino or something? They musta did something, cuz it freaked us all out..

I had friend in those days had a phone that would give an audible click 1 or two seconds before the phone rang -- and not everyone could hear it. (I never did, but more than once the guy told me ahead of time that the phone was gonna ring. As opposed to these days, when the ringing voltage (around 80V AC) from the phone company is detected by a phone, which then generates its own ring tone, in those days ringing voltage was actually applied to a coil which rang the bell in the phone. The click in question was probably the ringing generator being connected to the phone line before ringing, and was audible due to a defect in the phone.

true-eurt

Maneater
Unless you live in southeast Asia then it's called a "chowder" :D
There is a Chinese guy who gives me Pedicures and we were talking about that sort of thing a few weeks ago. He said dog was much better than cat, so I asked him what dog tasted like....and yah, he said Chicken...I think he was just trying to being funny though.:D

Thurgood

Love the cat facts! We have a cat who has six or so names but is most interesting by any title. I am a dog person but have enjoyed the feline over the years. I once was owned by a Maine Coon Cat, he was very cool. Animal companionship is a powerful thing. be well all.

true-eurt

Maneater
Thurgood, I love how you correctly said, you were owned by a Maine Coon cat once...yep, they own us.:D

Why thank you Up-fiddler for trying to rep me...you've already been too kind with that already.:)

I mainly like how your cat can choose you...dogs will buddy up to whoever feeds them...but a cat will have a personality...and if he dont like you...he dont like you.

Ive seen news stories about nursing home cats that will visit the dying hours before they pass...Buster can sense when I need him to cheer me up...why is that?