CALLING ALL DOCTORS!

dogooder

Do any of you doctors know if there is any pain medication that is not an opioid but stronger than over the counter? Asking for a friend.

In the UK, our pharacists in the places you get drugs from are the best to ask. 4 yrs/5yrs in university and they're pretty expert on drugs. They do free advice here, and well worth talking to if you don't want a doctor's advice. To be fair, they know more than a doctor about drugs anyway.

Thanx, i didn't think of that. There was time I had a cast iron stomach and could take anything, that ship has sailed. I take one opioid now and I vomit.
My back is killing me and I can't imagine what that would do to it. There is a pinched nerve somewhere sending the pain down my right arm to the elbow
anytime I try to raise it. I have never been to a chiropractor but am considering it. I wonder if my insurance covers that, I will have to look into it.

Gabapentin.
Upon further research, that won't do. Not recommend for the pain in question and the side effect to the liver would be dangerous for me. I may be SOL. I can bear it but it ain't no fun and nothing over the counter does Jack.

Alcohol baby, Alcohol...well that's what my ol guitarist tells me about his back pain....but then again he may be an alcoholic just using it as an excuse, I don't know. He was serious when he told me that it is the only thing that works as good as the opioids..but he's a pretty good liar and I'm pretty gullible.

Since you mentioned liver issues.....MAYBE you can try acupuncture cost more than booze but is way less taxing on the liver...that or a "good" Chirocracker ( they are one in a 1000) but luck of the draw you might find one that can help ya. Read the yelp reviews on both of these witch doctor type healing sources and roll the dice...Good luck brother...

I have always had minor back pains but never had REAL back pain until I pulled a muscle in my back several years ago....a whole new appreciation for back pain...and the great fun that goes with it it..like trying to move, or get up or lay down...laying in bed having to piss really and contemplating wetting the bed rather than getting up

No fucking way. That is a nerve blocker. I noticed no benefits whatsoever. It did literally nothing for me at any dose.
I have had chronic back pain for years. Popped it in yoga Quit yoga but did marathons, long distance cycling and mountain peaks through it and none of that helped. I have been WAAAAY less active for a year now and rest hasn't helped it. Nothing helps it. It just fucking hurts.

I have had chronic back pain for years. Popped it in yoga Quit yoga but did marathons, long distance cycling and mountain peaks through it and none of that helped. I have been WAAAAY less active for a year now and rest hasn't helped it. Nothing helps it. It just fucking hurts.
I have had herniated discs that flare up ever since the mid 80. Three times it has become so bad I have had to have help walking. Put me down the first time for 3 months, the other two time, two weeks and one week. This is not near as painful as that and I have pulled muscles in my upper back in the past but it would usually go away in a day or two. Never did it pinch a nerve where the pain is running down my arm like it does down my legs with the discs? This has been going on a week and a half now. Like I said, this is bearable. When I get the pain in the lower back I have sometimes literally screamed out in pain. This is just making me curse. If it gets any worse.. I am a bit better today.

The only reason I asked here is I am primarily a loner, I just moved here and it's been a year and a half and I know one person superficially.

Not for nothin..

Consider laying off anything flammatory. Sugar, white bread.....I'm not the expert, that would be my wife (somewhat). Might not help, but couldn't hurt.
I never eat white bread but I am kind of a sugar junkie. Funny, my wife has the diabetes and I don't. I have the high blood pressure
and she don't.

I used to have bad back problems, the pinched nerves with pain in my lower back and shooting down my left hip. I had scripts for ibuprofen and naproxen, and had a TENS unit for several months. The doc told me that the key was to strengthen my stomach muscles. I started playing golf about 20 years ago, walking 99% of the time. My back issues have diminished to an occasional strain. Sometimes sitting too long will make things sore. It goes away within a day or so, and helps if I get out and get active. Since retiring 4 years ago, I've dropped about 25lbs which helps even more. I will still take an ibu or naproxen before I play a round, but that's more for the knees and shoulder pain.

It sucks not being 20 yrs old any more!

Prescription strength naproxen is 500mg vs the OC version at 200mg. Ibuprofen comes in at 800mg vs 2x200mg OC level. It can be tough on the liver, I don't seem to have the stomach problems that some people do.

Reactions: TAE
I have had back issues for a long time and at times totally debilitating. Long story short, when i started having back and leg pain doctor took all kinds of images and prescribed all sorts of things ranging from PT to meds to nerve blocks and nothing worked. I finally went to a chiropractor and he has been able to keep me out of surgery. I have several bulged disks and disk degeneration and if not for him i'm pretty sure I would have been in a wheel chair years ago. The down side is that you need to do what he says and once you start going you don't stop.

I have had back issues for a long time and at times totally debilitating. Long story short, when i started having back and leg pain doctor took all kinds of images and prescribed all sorts of things ranging from PT to meds to nerve blocks and nothing worked. I finally went to a chiropractor and he has been able to keep me out of surgery. I have several bulged disks and disk degeneration and if not for him i'm pretty sure I would have been in a wheel chair years ago. The down side is that you need to do what he says and once you start going you don't stop.
I went to visit an orthopedic surgeon who was on the Denver Brocos staff in the eighties. He told me as long as I can bear the pain don't have an operation. He gave me these following reasons. One, I could die from the anesthesia, If I slip you could be paralyzed from the waist down, even if everything goes smoothly you could come out dragging a leg, even if completely successful you will never be one hundred percent again. Those are the four I remember. I have taken his advice. I have learned for me personally, don't stay in bed, get up, move, do something, stand the pain and it eventually goes away. If I just lay in bed it last way longer, so I just fight my way through it. I though he was a pretty doctor to admit that he could slip and I could be paralyzed. My neighbor across the way came back from the hospital paralyzed from the waist down from the same operation.

I was better yesterday. Now it is three am and the pain has woken me up and I am back to the same old same old. I could raise my arm above my head yesterday
but not now. I thought the body was supposed to recuperate while sleeping lol. I am in meth country, maybe I should score some and stay up for a week?

Last edited:
I have thought of chiropractors but my problem with the disc thing is when I am in that much pain I am not letting anyone touch me, and when I am not in pain I am not about to let anyone touch me, if your picking up what I am putting down. Last flareup started when I bent over to pick up my cat. It didn't put me down but I was in pain for about a month and kept up and moving but in slo mo. If bending over to pick up my cat and the like can cause it, I am not letting anyone manipulate my back. The women always tell me ah, that's nothing, try childbirth. I finally ran into a women coworker who had the same disc problems and had children and asked her. I was told the discs were much worse? That is just one sample though.

Back