Best Cover Songs

Actually the line is "revved up like a DEUCE, another runner in the night" The Deuce refers not to a Duesenberg, but to a Deuce Coupe, which is a 32 Ford that was popular with hot rodders in the 50s and 60s. 1932 was the first year for the flathead Ford V8 engine, the first affordable V8. It's the car that the Beach Boys sang about in "Little Deuce Coupe", and it's the yellow hot rod that John Milner drives around in American Graffiti.

Manfred Mann actually changed the original Springsteen lyric which is "Cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night."

You are such a nerd 🥰 I like you 🥰🥰🤣

You are such a nerd 🥰 I like you 🥰🥰🤣
I will chat about V8s with you all day Rich xxx 😍😍😍 Thanks. Yeh thats something new I know now. The flathead differered from the hemi which had a different head and cam configuration and valves. It was to create a bigger combustion chamber.

Speaking of Duesenberg, I've driven past the Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg museum a dozen or more times, but never stopped. If I get a chance to travel north through Indiana again this year, I might have to stop this time. The past few times, I decided instead to stop at Sweetwater Music, which is a wonderful place for the musician/recordist. The place is huge and they have tons of gear on display in their showrooms.

Watching him wince as Yoko screeches. . . well, John must have promised him lots of money for hanging in there
Actually, Chuck, like John and the rest of us was bewitched by the beauty and tonality of Yoko's dulcet tones......
Any musicologist and expert can tell you that you would be hard-pushed to find a more beautiful voice than that of Yoko Ono.....🥴
So this is a pretty cool cover of Springsteens song by Manfred
Bruce's only contribution to this song is.......that he happened to write it. Manfred's version is so utterly superior in every which way....my spies 🕵️‍♀️ 🕵🏻‍♂️ 🕵🏼 🕵🏽‍♀️ 🕵🏾 🕵🏾‍♂️ tell me that Bruce is actually relieved that he wrote the song because there's no way, once he heard Manfred's lot, that he'd ever truly own that song again. 😹
Actually the line is "revved up like a DEUCE, another runner in the night"
I first heard this song in 1976 and from then till I read this, I always thought it was "wrapped up."

Until I read the lyrics, I always thought it was "Wrapped up like a doosh (douche), Another roller in the night". Even after reading the lyrics and listening back, I still hear my version. That's wack. It's as bad as some of John Fogerty's Credence vocals that are unintelligible.

Actually, Chuck, like John and the rest of us was bewitched by the beauty and tonality of Yoko's dulcet tones......
Any musicologist and expert can tell you that you would be hard-pushed to find a more beautiful voice than that of Yoko Ono.....🥴

Bruce's only contribution to this song is.......that he happened to write it. Manfred's version is so utterly superior in every which way....my spies 🕵️‍♀️ 🕵🏻‍♂️ 🕵🏼 🕵🏽‍♀️ 🕵🏾 🕵🏾‍♂️ tell me that Bruce is actually relieved that he wrote the song because there's no way, once he heard Manfred's lot, that he'd ever truly own that song again. 😹

I first heard this song in 1976 and from then till I read this, I always thought it was "wrapped up."
I agree on all points. I was a big MM fan. Probably "Roaring Silence" my favorite album.

I do like the original as well, if I am honest

There are a few on this list I can't recall hearing, but the rest I have heard many times and I have to say I agree with this listing. There are some covers I'll listen to but don't really care for because they take liberties with the arrangements I'm oh so familiar with, and expect to hear - and the voices aren't right. One of those (not on this list) would be Tommy James' Mony Mony by Billy Idol. I really don't like it when the radio stations play only the covered version, but I guess it's always been that way since the 60's-70's produced quite a few rock covers of old familiar tunes from the 50's.

There is a lovely story.... I dont know if it is true .... but it is nice and I will reiterate it.
Karl Wallinger wrote a song called She's The One as a tribute to his mum. He was the keyboard player in the band The Waterboys in the 80s and was replaced by his friend Guy Chambers. In the early 90's Guy played bass in Karl's wonderful band World Party. They were both fine songwriters.
Around 97 Guy was on his uppers and met Robbie Williams who was on his uppers himself. The parntership was formed and they wrote together.
Guy suggested the song by his friend to do and Robbie loved it. They had a number one and Karl got the royalty money, so all good 👍👍

Its pretty much the same, Guy and Rob wanted it that way. Nothing wrong with that

I do like the original as well, if I am honest
Maybe it was because the Manfred version had insinuated itself into my consciousness over a decade before I heard the original. Bruce's version is like over-watery soup after a decade of Mama's home-made specialities.

Springsteen's original sounds like the vocal track is not aligned with the others. Almost as if the band is playing catch-up, trying to get into the groove with the vocal but not quite making it. In other words, it ain't got that thing.

I am surprised, unless I missed it, Joe Cocker's "With a little Help From My Friends" I like the Beatles version and his.

Reactions: TAE
Joe Cocker's "With a little Help From My Friends" I like the Beatles version and his.
I find Joe's version tolerable, but then, I'm probably the worst person to comment on it because I think the original is unassailable.
Perhaps the most significant thing about Joe's, to me, is that I first came across it in '79 but I didn't get around to adding it to my collection until 2015.

Grim. you need to at least find a used copy of the Woodstock DVD. It's got some great performances on there.

Joe mostly did covers, Feelin' Alright, Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood, She Came In Through the Bathroom Window, and Just Like A Woman. He just put his own spin on them, but they were instantly recognizable.

• Love
Reactions: TAE
you need to at least find a used copy of the Woodstock DVD. It's got some great performances on there.
I think it's a good film. I've seen it quite a few times and certain bits of it many times. Along with the updated version, it's a very long film and it can be hard to keep my attention when groups/artists I don't care for like Sha-Na-Na are on.
I actually went out and bought the original LP back in the 90s because I thought the Woodstock performances of groups like the Who, Country Joe and the Fish and Jimi Hendrix were superior to their studio counterparts. I loved Santana's "Soul Sacrifice" initially {I was stoned} but it never hit me subsequently like it did the first time I saw it. And I think the debut album closer is better. However, as a bonus track on the debut album on CD {or maybe it's Abraxas}, there's a song from Woodstock called "Fried Neckbones" or something like that. It's superb. I don't know why it wasn't on either of the first 2 albums.
Funnily enough, I always just barely tolerated Joe Cocker's Woodstock performance. It's one of those that has passed into legend, but leaves me thinking, "well, not all legends are great !" 😍 I feel the same way about Ten Years After 's "Goin' Home." First time I saw it {I was stoned}, I thought it was out of this world. Every time subsequent, I marvel that I liked it because I think it's a boring song and a pretty tame performance.

Don't take the drugs, kids ! It distorts your perception of reality and makes you like Ten Years After then 10 years later you find you no longer do. 😛

I think it's a good film. I've seen it quite a few times and certain bits of it many times. Along with the updated version, it's a very long film and it can be hard to keep my attention when groups/artists I don't care for like Sha-Na-Na are on.
I actually went out and bought the original LP back in the 90s because I thought the Woodstock performances of groups like the Who, Country Joe and the Fish and Jimi Hendrix were superior to their studio counterparts. I loved Santana's "Soul Sacrifice" initially {I was stoned} but it never hit me subsequently like it did the first time I saw it. And I think the debut album closer is better. However, as a bonus track on the debut album on CD {or maybe it's Abraxas}, there's a song from Woodstock called "Fried Neckbones" or something like that. It's superb. I don't know why it wasn't on either of the first 2 albums.
Funnily enough, I always just barely tolerated Joe Cocker's Woodstock performance. It's one of those that has passed into legend, but leaves me thinking, "well, not all legends are great !" 😍 I feel the same way about Ten Years After 's "Goin' Home." First time I saw it {I was stoned}, I thought it was out of this world. Every time subsequent, I marvel that I liked it because I think it's a boring song and a pretty tame performance.

Don't take the drugs, kids ! It distorts your perception of reality and makes you like Ten Years After then 10 years later you find you no longer do. 😛
We did this as a 3 piece in my band in the 90s and got great reception. I am proud of it. The drummer and bass player were great lead vocalists and I had great backing and arranged the harmonies. The bass player did the high part and the drummer sang the lead. I sang the lower 5th. I played the piano part high on the fretboard picking on the guitar with clean sound and chorus to replicate the piano part.

Back