Barking Dogs

60's guy

I'm surrounded by four neighbors who own one to three dogs each. The barking is incessant. My town used to have a "barking dog" nuisance ordinance. But no more.

I'm considering purchasing a couple of silent dog whistles and hose them up to fish tank air pumps 24/7 outside.

Will it work?

I hear you.

I live in a nice neighborhood in McKinney, TX. However - my neighborhood is damned noisy. Power tools, lawn mowers, leaf blowers, DOGS, motorcycles (I own two), etc. I've been here going-on four years and it is so much noisier than my old neighborhood. I bought this house so I could have a dedicated music lab area. Ya just don't know until you move in. It's manageable - I just never know exactly when a good time is to fire up the LDC and record acoustic guitar. Hit and miss.

It's all about getting my free time to align with quiet periods.

Let us know if you get good results.

I'm surrounded by four neighbors who own one to three dogs each. The barking is incessant. My town used to have a "barking dog" nuisance ordinance. But no more.

I'm considering purchasing a couple of silent dog whistles and hose them up to fish tank air pumps 24/7 outside.

Will it work?
How about placing some loudspeakers outside and running some lion roars through them.

I saw that on an episode of Adam-12. The neighbor's yappy poodle (is there a non-yappy poodle? I think not.) wouldn't shut up so out came the lion.

No more yappy poodle.

I hear you.

I live in a nice neighborhood in McKinney, TX. However - my neighborhood is damned noisy. Power tools, lawn mowers, leaf blowers, DOGS, motorcycles (I own two), etc. I've been here going-on four years and it is so much noisier than my old neighborhood. I bought this house so I could have a dedicated music lab area. Ya just don't know until you move in. It's manageable - I just never know exactly when a good time is to fire up the LDC and record acoustic guitar. Hit and miss.

It's all about getting my free time to align with quiet periods.

Let us know if you get good results.
I was in the same predicament with my LDC. There's a constant stream of emergency vehicles outside my windows, not to mention all the loud vehicle exhausts. So I pack my window opening with Roxul when I record. I hate using that really because it also shuts out ALL the light and I have to use indirect table lighting, which I also dislike. But I tell myself I'm in someone's basement studio and just get down to it :guitar::D

The dogs are only barking for a reason. Why not find out the reason first?

Dowsing the dogs or doing anything to them won't solve a thing except possibly harm the dogs. The neighbour who possibly cares for no one else may be your problem.

Last edited:
Have a similar issue at my shack...Coolest neighbor ever, 2 of the most annoying dumbass, big ass german shepards and a 3rd mutt that isn't quite as bad.
Our driveways run together and we both have these 10' wide wrought iron gates and a block wall that separates our back yards. The dogs have full run of the yard and both sides facing the front have wrought iron...Anyone walking by and the dogs are going ape shit. The wife or I pull up in my driveway and they are barking at us like they want to eat us...ANNOYING! I downloaded an app for my iphone called itrainer which I use to try and get the Alpha to obey to. I sit there while it's barking at me and call her by name, say stop barking and press the buzzer which I can't hear but she can and eventually she'll stop and then start again. I'll mess with her for a few minutes and go again and again and again ...It's gotten better but she and her buddies still drive us ape shit. I can get her to stop but I have to get her to stop...very rarely does she not bark at me but it happens and when it does I tell her good girl when she happens to be cool. It's been a never ending revolving door of neighbors left and right of us over the years with annoying pets....One had this damn Cockatoo that they'd leave out on their backyard patio to drive us whack. We have lived here for 35 years and our first neighbor to the left had a little barker. Single Mom with a kid and Grandma living there... Our girls were little then and that little piece of shit would be barking because it wanted in. They'd just let it bark..We tried to get them to do something when we were trying to get the kids to sleep...and the women told my wife it isn't 10 pm yet so it isn't a problem ...I knew we were in for a long run when I heard the wife respond "Listen bitch" ( she's a feisty one) Dozens of calls to the police...assholes finally moved and then the Cockatoo moved in...Oh Damn! Not sure what the right answer is ...I bought a anti barking unit that goes off when it senses barking and when triggered emits that high pitch sound...but it never worked...

First world problems.... :laughings:

FWIW the cool neighbor knows we have the issue and when they are around and the dogs bark at us they tell them to stop and they do...but...they aren't always around and I get it that the dogs need to be able to roam the yard. Just sucks that they have to be such annoying butt heads.

The dogs are only barking for a reason.
Nope. Dogs bark for absolutely no reason at all most of the time. They will bark because they feel like it, because there is a leaf floating by, or because a nearby dog is barking - which in turn triggers some other nearby dog to bark - and so on.

OP you are stuck with it. Move out before your sanity is lost permanently.

Nope. Dogs bark for absolutely no reason at all most of the time. They will bark because they feel like it, because there is a leaf floating by, or because a nearby dog is barking - which in turn triggers some other nearby dog to bark - and so on.
Well there is at least one reason. Strange been around and had dogs most of my life and never experienced dogs suddenly bark for nothing. Just me then.:unsure:

Dogs bark because they are pack animals and they want to be with their owner, or they are warning you or something from territory considered "theirs". All dogs can be trained to not bark but most owners don't want to pay for the training which can be over 2k US in some areas. I hate barking but I don't blame the dogs-it's an owner issue.
Note: dogs sense of smell means they could be scenting a coyote or a cat half a mile away and their hearing is good enough that they can hear another animal within a block or two so don't assume that just because you aren't aware of anything to rile them that something is not out there.

Reactions: TAE
Note: dogs sense of smell means they could be scenting a coyote or a cat half a mile away and their hearing is good enough that they can hear another animal within a block or two so don't assume that just because you aren't aware of anything to rile them that something is not out there.
Exactly my point. They bark at anything and everything, so trying to find out of there's a 'reason' for their barking is futile. I never saw a dog yet whose owner had successfully trained it not to bark. One knock on that front door and if there is a dog inside it will go crazy. EVERY time.

Yep, just you. Unless, of course you're inventing reasons that don't actually exist.
No not really you said a dog will bark at anything.

I said a dog will bark for a reason. Someone knocking at your door or mooching around the place is a reason to bark. They are warning you and them that the visitor has been detected. Barking at a person they can see in the distance is another warning. Barking at another dog barking is just answering back or joining in their warning.

Going crazy is their way of communicating to you.

We have sensors that detect people at our gate. Our dogs bark and come and tell us when these sensors go off, because they know what they are detecting visitors/intruders, thus warning us the sensors have been tripped.

All reasons to bark and warn or communicate. But they never bark at any other time. They never bark for the hell of it or because its Tuesday, which is basically what you are implying.

And I fully respect anybody who doesnt 'like' dogs or any other animals. Just as they understand I probably don't like them. But everybody has a choice.

As I said I have been around and had dogs most of my life which is a quite long time. So at very least I am experienced and at most an expert:LOL::thumbs up: Animals I have found are quite intelligent. Perhaps the dumbest is the two legged variety that cause all the worlds problems.

Please tell us aj113, what is your experience/expert knowledge being as you made such direct statements on this topic?

Last edited:
My daughter in law had two small dogs who barked all the time, untrainable, she was told. She moved away and her new partner couldn’t stand it, so he trained the dogs properly himself. They were unable to be let off the lead either, and now they sit, come, stay and don’t bark. It took three months and they’re different dogs now. It wasnt that they had different training, they’d just not had any training before.

There you go Rob. Some people assume they are like a new printer or a cordless drill. The animal will do exactly as they wish straight out of the box.

An animal is no different than ourselves, also an animal. We need time and training to learn and adjust.

A sheepdog pup could be obtained for a hundred £$. A fully trained 1 year old sheepdog can cost £20,000 and more. No Border Collie ever fetched the sheep in without being trained.

The AKC has what might be the politically correct answers as to why dogs bark and how to deal/cope.
https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/training/neighbors-dog-barks-constantly/#:~:text=The%20Neighbor’s%20Dog%20Barks%20Constantly%21%20What%20Can%20I,may%20be%20a%20way%20to%20express%20...%20

It's all bullshit! Speaking with neighbors is useless. They aren't the least bit concerned whenever I have spoken with them. Fair enough, I suppose. It's been 15 years since I've had a dog of my own. That dog never ever barked at anyone or anything because I had trained her to only bark on my command.

Perhaps it's time I should consider getting one or three dogs to outbark the neighbors. The main problem with that is feeding the dogs. It could be problematic because the supply chain of dog food is floating offshore of California.

Using silent dog whistles and air pumps could potentially help, but it might not guarantee a complete solution. Dogs can have varying responses to such devices, and some may eventually get used to them.
It's always a good idea to have a friendly conversation with your neighbors about the issue and see if they can address it on their end. Sometimes, they might not even be aware of how disruptive the barking is.
If you ever have a pet that's causing a ruckus, you might want to consider the best CBD oil for dogs. It could provide some relief. You can find more details on the OrlandoMagazine webpage.

So two years ago now and no more bitchin. Did ya shoot em? Only way to make them stop really. Not all that neighborly or nice but it is effective.

As this thread is alive again, I've suffered with neighbour's dogs.
You just have to suffer till they move, or die.
I had a small 'yapping dog' next door. Any sound would set it off.
Even me walking down my own garden would set it off.
Yap bloody yap bloody yap, all day long.
Our dogs never did that.

One of the main reasons I sold my last house and moved. The dog owners were no better. You can judge a man by his dogs behavior. Another reason I don't have dogs anymore, cats are much quieter. Now the nearest dog is at least two acres away in any direction.

Back