All encoders are not created equal!

I think this might have been discussed before but...

Man, I've been using BladeEnc for creating mp3s because it's free and is integrated with n-Track. I figured that there couldn't be enough of a difference between various freeware encoders to really warrant my time investigating them.

Well, let me tell you that Blade sucks...at least with my music. I downloaded SCMPX and man, what a difference! The ride actually sounds like a ride! The hihat doesn't get washed out! At 128kbps SCMPX encoded mp3's are so much clearer than those created with Blade.

I'm so glad I found this out since I'm going to be adding another song to my mp3.com page today. I just wish I had known this before I posted the Window. Live 'n learn!

Off hand I can't remember where I found SCMPX, but it's out there and easy to find with minimal searching. If you're using Blade then please check it out. I should probably post this in the n-Track group...

Slackmaster 2000

I use Winamp (with a plug-in) to go mp3 to wav and Audiograbber (via the Fraunhofer IIs codec) for wav to mp3 with what seem to be great results. Takes a few minutes to mp3 encode but I'm assuming that's to be expected.

One reason which blade may sound inferior at 128kb/s: it was designed with higher bitrates in mind. Try encoding something with blade at 256kb/s, and the same with SCMPX, and compare. Might be worth checking out, butI've been known to be wrong before.

Good luck!

William Underwood

Back