a Reverb selling gear story...

On the buying from China thing my brother in law is a computer / electronics geek he buys off of Banggood it takes weeks to get your stuff but for him never a problem. I have only bought two things and both were cool once I got them..sans the Chinese direction ugh!

I paid $355 Total. I lightly used it.
I learned from the past and put it up with $35 shipping.

Got an offer of $325 and accepted it. with $35 shipping. I thought "ok"...Im just trying to get my $375 back ...or close to it.

Went to FedEx and it cost $62 to ship...not $25 (as the previous seller listed shipping to me..they are a business , Im not)
Then after Reverb Fees, shipping and wont include waste of time.....
My net was $268.94.
It's obvious you should of priced the unit within the scope of what you wanted to get out of it - and you should have checked shipping - doing so would have saved you a lot of money. Also why are you deducting shipping out of the sale price? It's usually added to the sale?

Be aware that Aliexpress now add 20% UK VAT to orders under 130 quid or so - nothing you can do about it. In fairness to the Chinese - it's not their fault that the price they receve gets added to by UK VAT and possibly import duty and a handling charge for UPS or Fedex etc.

The UPS and Fedex shipping is also now very complicated - Buying ten of an item might cost me $75 shipping. Buying 20 at double the weight might still be $75 - you must always ask How much for the item and delivery to XXXXX in th UK. This means they will check and often the price has gone up from the price they may have had two days before. I do lots of repeat purchases and the prices for shipping are different every time.

Being restricted to a phone app is a deal breaker for me. I don't like typing on a phone, and I like to edit my images on my PC.

Being restricted to a phone app is a deal breaker for me. I don't like typing on a phone, and I like to edit my images on my PC.
I hear ya it is the one thing that bugs me about it but it is HUGE and easy. You can still search, message and buy from your computer you just can't list anything from your computer . It requires a verified phone number and that's that. It would seem that once verified that account should be able to post ads but (and I am assuming this is a security measure) they only allow posting ads via your phone. It annoyed me at first and still annoys a bit but it's not all that difficult, certainly the gen x and millennials have no problem with it. I gotta say it kicks Craiglist ass...then again at this juncture Facebook marketplace does too.....ALTHOUGH I did get my latest nice paying gig that I'd of never dreamed of getting via the Gigs section of Craigslist

You can still search, message and buy from your computer you just can't list anything from your computer.
That's pretty much the reverse of how it should be. I could stand shopping on my phone, but I strongly prefer doing the posting on a PC.

I'm always tempted to buy from eBay or Reverb but I keep hearing stories of gear being described as excellent, very good or fully operational being received in non-working condition - or being nothing like the product image or description.

I'm always tempted to buy from eBay or Reverb but I keep hearing stories of gear being described as excellent, very good or fully operational being received in non-working condition - or being nothing like the product image or description.
I've bought and sold gear on Ebay a bunch of times and fortunately always went well...no surprises. That being that buyer feedback needs to be at least 99% positive or I don't buy or sell with them...reverb...nothing as of yet but I probably would now that I am seeing several folks here mentioning it.

I've bought and sold gear on Ebay a bunch of times and fortunately always went well...no surprises. That being that buyer feedback needs to be at least 99% positive or I don't buy or sell with them...reverb...nothing as of yet but I probably would now that I am seeing several folks here mentioning it.
I'll use that filter next time I go shopping.

Just looking at some SM57s on Reverb and there are some very pricey used ones for sale. I mean $149 + $12 shipping from Orlando, Florida. The indicated shipping would lead me to believe they expect this to be shipped within the continental US - so who in the US is gonna pay those prices used when they can pick up a cheaper one listed right next to it, or even a NEW one for $99 any day of the week? IDK.

Do people just throw stuff like this up like a shotgun blast figuring to catch that one-in-a-million person who will snap it up? That it's a "WTF, got nothing to lose" proposition?

Last edited:
My latest reverb story...I sold an extension speaker box. It had a sticker saying made in the UK or England. The guy that bought it took it apart and the speakers inside were made in china. I never took it apart, so I think that is how it was from the factory. I swapped nothing out.

Reverb gave him his money back and then again from Paypal. What a mess. I lose it on a Reverb help chat and lost my Perefered Seller status..
You trying to insinuate us English people are a bit dodgy Beaky? Just because we sold an American a bridge once you lot have never forgotten it.:-):LOL:

Orson, it was stock exactly as it came from Amazon. Some part of the inside had a sticker that said made in china(for all I know he placed it there). The guy bought it. Somehow it was my fault. I got pissed, and let Reverb support have it. I have been banned from Reverb for a while now.

I refuse to disassemble everything I sell ...There is a 'I answered to the best of my ability' thing.. It should have been a sufficient defense.

You trying to insinuate us English people are a bit dodgy Beaky? Just because we sold an American a bridge once you lot have never forgotten it.:-):LOL:
Hey Orson.......Beaky's post that you were responding to was more than 4 months ago. Are you just trolling him?

Hey Orson.......Beaky's post that you were responding to was more than 4 months ago. Are you just trolling him?
No just making fun of something that happened long ago in 70's. I would never try and upset Beaky, he has a great sense of humour.:-)

Last edited:
I have been a seller on Ebay for over 12 years, and the only burn was from China. I do not sell anything to china any more. I sell old electronics, gear and mostly tubes. I test every single one on three different testers. All are top shelf machines, Hickok and others, I have 9 testers, and use the easiest to get to. Most i are tested on my Hickok 539C lab quality machine. I sell mostly NOS tubes, but also used if they are something VERY desirable, like 6L6, 12AX7 etc. I have only been burned 3 or 4 times in all those years, and have a 100% Feedback rating
Most of my inventory is from Estate sales, Garage sales, or Craigslist.
I do not like all the recent price hikes for shipping and fees, but as a small seller, I have no choice really.
The other ways to sell just don't work very well for the stuff I have.
Most of the tubes and other parts I sell are for old radios, and HAM gear, the only real action is when I list something that can be used in Musical equipment,
S

Last edited:
Back