Zappa A film by Alex Winter...

Well just finished it and it did not disappoint!

Zappa was just a bizarre gift to that place and space in time that we baby boomers got to benefit from..

Growing up in LA I got to hear a little more about the REAL ZAPPA than the GP

Had a friend who played keys for him for a while with some inside stuff.

When I was @ 13 my friend turned me onto FREAK OUT

Who could imagine? Suzi Cream Cheese, Go cry on somebody else's shoulder...Holy shit this guy was FUNNY!

I don't know just so many layers to the Frank Zappa onion...

So through out my life he and his music has influenced me...

One size fits all ...oh damn!

I didn't know he was influencing me when I first heard Alice Cooper and Flo and Eddy at the San Bernardino swing in 1973 but his fingerprints were all over it...

Got to finally see him in 1981 with Steve Vai as a puppy performing...wowzer..

I remember buying 200 motels and being dissappointed...it was just too weird for me in my little narrow minded prog rocker mind...It was strictly not commercial...

There is just a ton of cool trivia and insight into this national treasure...

I think I've mentioned my one daughter lives walking distance from where his Z studio's $13.50 an hour recording studio once stood...magical ground there...wipeout was recorded there...woo hoo! EZ Willis also lives very near...I'm telling ya that area is magical for music...

Some of ya's know that I spent a lot of time in Czech and I gotta tell ya the Czech's LOVE Zappa...I really didn't know why until I watched this doc...Damn Zappa was the unofficial American Ambassador to CZ much to the horrid chagrin of mainstream American politicians ..screw them...

This doc gives you insight into how he ran, as a task master, as a husband, as a father, as a very passionate man who marched to his own drum...

He had a vision and definitely was true to himself ...which can make you look like and be an asshole to a lot of people including the ones you love...not judging right or wrong ...he did it his way and because of that we the people got a lot of good things from it...

He was an activist for the recording industry and stood up when no one in the industry was willing to lay it all out on the line..

For me one of the weirder / sadder things that I personally identified with was his relationship with his wife n kids. Frank and his music came first. Later in life he definitely got to enjoy playing with Dweezil...but Dad was a touring rock star and that was that...

Valley Girl, how it came to be is pretty sad...strange...A letter from his 13 year old daughter slipped under his studio door asking for a little me time and a chance to maybe do a song / recording...It was the impetus to the birth of the only #1 pop song he ever produced...And Moon was really responsible not only for getting him to write it but then walked it into KROQ in Pasadena where it went viral.. I remember it so well when it came out so cute...the lovey dovey Daddy and Daughter duet...I had just become a Dad with my first daughter...How cool would that be to do a song with her someday...Little did I know the story behind it...

Here's what the note said....
Moon Unit note 1.JPG
Moon Unit note 2.JPG

Who'da thunk?

Back