WTF has happened.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

ausrock

I've been around here for more than 18 years and have seen this place gradually deteriorate, particularly after the "change of ownership".

It used to be a thriving hub of discussion and quality information, regularly frequented by pro's and semi pro's who were only too happy to contribute and attempt to assist newcomers, unfortunately, it is barely a shadow of it's former self, such a pity. :wtf:

I'm new here (i.e., no knowledge of the glory days), but I think for the few folks that are actually thinking about being creative (vs. simply "leaning back"), they find all the answers they need, and then some, on YouTube first, rightly or wrongly. And, a lot of pros are possibly not finding time investment here paying back, especially as you see the same kinds of questions over and over. Who knows, some might be trying to monetize their knowledge on YouTube vs. putting out where only a small audience can see it, and there's zero hope of reward for that ;)!

I was very active on another forum (firearms)... We had quite a few contributors, all great guys and gals...
And as most people that know their stuff, they would be quite vocal.. and we had a couple of d!ckhats like all forum. They were over moderated, then banned. I always figured we were adults and if we didn't like the venue, we could leave. But they got banned. The site changed hands and a similar downfall of the forum.

I tend to think the forum that allows some bickering, politics and other controversial subjects do better.
They solve this in a couple of ways. paid members have access to premium content, or there are separate, and open sub-forums for this stuff.

Over Moderation can kill a website faster than a power outage.

There's still plenty of good help available from knowledgeable people here. But there's a huge influx of newbies who get *a little* knowledge from youtubes, then come to ask questions on why what they're doing isn't working.

The Cave made HR.com period...no contest...(It really annoyed our fearless founder David "Dragon" Fielder) @ 80% of the traffic was cave related... it was a place and space in time when there was no such thing as Facebook...The cave was the most socially media kind of place a crazy musician type could find 15 / 20 years ago..

With all the other avenues for homewreckers to go to to get answers t or to just BS there is no way it could have sustained it's popularity. Then add the trolls / cyberbullies and dickheads and the bannings and finally the closing of the doors to the cave....leaving us with "Jenny's place" ( The G rated forum made for Dragons girlfriend cause the cave was way too biker bar for her) and you have what we now call prime time...

I still come here and fart around but man I miss some of the awesome funny asses that used to reside in the Cave...Some have past away Frickin Getugrip...and some like Monty just got tired of having to perform...some great comedy though while it lasted fricking EZ Willis what a character....:laughings:

The Cave made HR.com period...no contest...(It really annoyed our fearless founder David "Dragon" Fielder) @ 80% of the traffic was cave related... it was a place and space in time when there was no such thing as Facebook...The cave was the most socially media kind of place a crazy musician type could find 15 / 20 years ago..

With all the other avenues for homewreckers to go to to get answers t or to just BS there is no way it could have sustained it's popularity. Then add the trolls / cyberbullies and dickheads and the bannings and finally the closing of the doors to the cave....leaving us with "Jenny's place" ( The G rated forum made for Dragons girlfriend cause the cave was way too biker bar for her) and you have what we now call prime time...

I still come here and fart around but man I miss some of the awesome funny asses that used to reside in the Cave...Some have past away Frickin Getugrip...and some like Monty just got tired of having to perform...some great comedy though while it lasted fricking EZ Willis what a character....:laughings:

I think you kinda nailed it :thumbs up:, thanks for your thoughts.

The likes of Harvey, Sjoko, Sonusman (God love his style of posts :) ), Blue Bear, UpState, etc., haven't really been matched.

:cool:

Reactions: TAE
I forgot about the Dragon, the home page was about recording on cassettes.
Years flown by for me too 14yrs apprx. Home Recording ….yikes?

Blue Bear Sound, Harvey- Indian Trails studio... cassettes to DAW....

the Cave didn't do anything for me, but it made no sense they shut it down.

Did Blue Bear and Harvey and other more serious folk just tire of the same questions?
Did the students become the mentors and post-doc's?

18yrs...

What is the Level of Progress for Home Recording to....?

0- 5yrs...newbie to solid understanding
5 to 10yrs.... creating some good stuff by now..some friends think Im great
10 to 20yrs.... someone actually paid me? wow..
20-100yrs....

at 18yrs....is this where a person should be heading or there?

Album Credits – Blue Bear Sound Recording Studio

Indian Trail Recording Studio

Here here! :laughings:

So I must ask, why are these guys not back here now? Is there some reason you did not keep contact with them?

I do not see a reason for the 'Prime Time' forum to not be a place to banter about whatever.

The 'Cave' was shut down because some members abused the fuck out of it and brought the banter going on there in to the clean parts of the forum.

We don't need to go into detail her guys/gals if you prefer, just please realize that it was a decision made for the best of the whole community as a "Home Recording Forum". It got dirty and nasty....

So yes, a bit less traffic here now, but the site is on point and I haven't seen but maybe 3 neg reps in the last two years...

Should I bother mentioning the name of the site again and what the topic is? HAHA!

I love some good conversation about politics or whatever in the appropriate forum with educated members that just want to vent. The 'Cave' turned into a circus of disrespect and likely some things said that could have led to prosecution. It had to go...

The 'Cave' turned into a circus of disrespect and likely some things said that could have led to prosecution. It had to go...

Sadly it truly became a uncomfortable place to post in...and worse yet it was just a handful of miserable characters that made it that way...which forced there to be new guidelines and rules and soon the elimination of the Cave..More than anything that pisses me off is that the proof of the pudding that the cave was an awesome place ( The archives ) were just eliminated...There was epic dialog within those threads and a cast of characters and episodes that were on the level of a great TV sitcom..It's like they cancelled Friends and then destroyed all the episodes so you can't even go back and watch the re-runs...As the fly said..."That was some really good shit" and with just a few clicks of a mouse they were gone....poof!...That sucked

That said with regard to where are they now? Some have actually met their expiration date as we all will eventually, a few of us still hang here and some just burned out on this place...As previously mentioned it's a different place and space in time with a whole helluva lot of other options for getting answers to recording questions......There were only a few in the early 2000's now a google search of "Homerecording tips" gets you over a million search results...Hr.com is just an itty bitty fish in a big ass pond these days.......do wa ditty ditty dum ditty dee and they swam and they swam all over the dam....:guitar:

This thread is like showing up at your 50th high-school reunion after missing the last 30, and going "WTF...where is everyone and why are things so different now?"

:laughings:

As the years go on we get more newbies that won't or don't try anything for themselves and don't read a manual.

So we get questions like, what eq should I use on the guitar track? Or is it safe to plug a bass into the instrument input of my interface :facepalm:

Gets a bit tiring after a while.

Alan.

As the years go on we get more newbies that won't or don't try anything for themselves and don't read a manual.

So we get questions like, what eq should I use on the guitar track? Or is it safe to plug a bass into the instrument input of my interface :facepalm:

Gets a bit tiring after a while.

Alan.

Ain't that so true.

There have always been people that don't want to put the time in using a search function and I guess that's human nature but it does get tiring having the same questions asked repeatedly when the answers are all here.

:cool:

This thread is like showing up at your 50th high-school reunion after missing the last 30, and going "WTF...where is everyone and why are things so different now?"

:laughings:

I'm cool with the Cave being closed as it had become a downer cesspool , not so thrilled they found it necessary to delete the forum rather than archive it where we could back and have a laugh and remember an epic era of the internet, home recording and the early adapters to digital recording.

It's similar to 20 years after you graduate you open up your year book to take a look back at " the good old days" and all the pages are blank...ifn ya know what I mean

I'm cool with the Cave being closed as it had become a downer cesspool , not so thrilled they found it necessary to delete the forum rather than archive it where we could back and have a laugh and remember an epic era of the internet, home recording and the early adapters to digital recording.

It's similar to 20 years after you graduate you open up your year book to take a look back at " the good old days" and all the pages are blank...ifn ya know what I mean

You really would spend time going back through old Cave threads and post....?
The only time I've ever done any kind of forum archeology is when I'm looking for a specific piece of information that I remember was discussed in some audio thread. Otherwise I couldn't care less about revisiting old off-topic nonsense threads, even for a laugh. There's enough new shit here and in life to laugh about. :p

The forum has its fits and starts. A lot depends on the minority of regular posters who really are recording music on daily basis, and their willingness to chime in and share information and opinions. There was a problem on this forum that had been allowed to fester for a very long time. It drove away people who prefer a friendly atmosphere, while encouraging those who thrive in an atmosphere of hostility. That "newbs these days..." attitude was part and parcel. When the problem was finally addressed, there was fallout. Some valuable contributors left. That is too bad. Even so, the site is a better place than it was two years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back