Windows 10 - How do I default MP3's to use Windows Media Player?

ido1957

9K Gold Member
Don't like the sound of the new player they have in W10 Groove something or other- it basically sucks. I set the default in Control Panel to WMP but if I click on an MP3 that stupid new player kicks in. I have to right click the file and "play with WMP" . Help!

Can't you right-click on an MP3---Open With---Choose Program---Media Player.
You should also see a check box to tell it to always use Media Player.

Or...go into Media Player properties, settings...and make it the default player for MP3 files.

I just moved to a Win10 machine and saw exactly what Ido describes. Is the old Media Player still there? I haven't seen it yet in this new version of Windows.

I am staying away from W10 until they make me change or my W7 computers die. Till my last breath...

Just sayin...

Google found a link. May be helpful...

I am staying away from W10 until they make me change or my W7 computers die. Till my last breath...

Jesus Harold Tap Dancing Christ, me too. If it aint broke, don't fix it, and my win 7 shit aint broke. I'm nowhere near computer savvy enough to just jump into win 10.

Just sayin...

At my day gig...we have a Sept 2017 deadline to switch to Win 10...so I expect sometime next summer we'll be doing that tango...but at home...I'm staying on Win 7 (especially my DAW) straight through to 2020, which is when MS extended support ends for Win 7...and maybe even well beyond that, 'cuz my DAW runs offline, so I really have little need to switch to 10 for the DAW.
Only if my DAW apps drop 7 support down the road...and there are some to-die-for upgrades that I just can't live without (seriously doubt it)....I not upgrading to 10 just to upgrade.

There has to be a very compelling reason to upgrade a system, at least for me....though I know that a lot of people just want the "new shiny thing".

I am sure there will be conflicts with drivers and such, but right now there is more chaos that I have seen from manufacturers trying to keep up with the W10 updates.

I'm hiding in my cave....

Don't like the sound of the new player they have in W10 Groove something or other- it basically sucks. I set the default in Control Panel to WMP but if I click on an MP3 that stupid new player kicks in. I have to right click the file and "play with WMP" . Help!

Start menu --> Settings --> System --> Default Apps --> Choose default Apps.

HTH. :)

I am sure there will be conflicts with drivers and such, but right now there is more chaos that I have seen from manufacturers trying to keep up with the W10 updates.

I'm hiding in my cave....

I haven't updated my recording PC from 7 and I'm not going to, but I updated my laptop from 8 to 10 - it has every program I use for recording on it as well, and they all work just fine.

Yes, you can set Windows Media Player to be the default program for opening MP3 files.

I switched to Windows 10 as soon as it became available and haven't looked back. The only issues I experienced with it were that a few of the Arkadium games I liked to play every day had some glitches and wouldn't work-- e.g., "Microsoft Solitaire Collection"-- but I was basically wasting a lot of hours each day on them, so once I got over my hissy fit about them I actually started getting more accomplished each day! :thumbs up: Of course, now those issues have been fixed. :rolleyes: But my DAWs all worked under Windows 10 with no problems.

I switched 6 months ago, maybe. It was a lot of work to set preferences back to what I like. Then I recently bought a new computer and loaded it with Win7. I'm staying here for a while.

You're mistaken, Chili. It wasn't. ;)

you're right, but I'm still glad I switched back. There was a lot of frustration at first, when I upgraded to Win10, because it didn't import my settings and preferences right away.

The big reason I switched back was the new computer is an old workstation and when I switched to Win10, even though I had Win7 Pro, it gave me Win10 Home and didn't support dual processors.

Thanks Bubba - all fixed.

Anyone using Lexicon plugins - see my post in the Cakewalk Forum and DO NOT UPGRADE if you use them.

My Lexicon MPX plugin made the transition to Win10 seamlessly. What happened with yours?

Eww, that's ugly! Hopefully they fix that all up soon. Luckily mine doesn't display chicken scratch as preset names in Reaper. Or maybe they went to an all-Morse-code language pack :)

Back