Tripping out in the desert...."Dead Men Rocking"

TAE

All you have is now
Well almost or soon to be dead.... Pretty amazing line-up of some of the greatest rockers / rock bands of the late 60's and 70's

desert-trip-lineup-dates.jpg

This once-in- a-lifetime concert will take place in Indio, California on October 7, 8 and 9 and October 14, 15 and 16 when six of the world’s most iconic and influential rock and roll artists come together for Desert Trip​.

Both weekends will feature three nights of concerts, including Friday night with ​The Rolling Stones​ and ​Bob Dylan and His Band​, followed by Saturday night with Paul McCartney​ and ​Neil Young + Promise of the Real​, and closing on Sunday night with ​Roger Waters and The Who​.

With performances starting after sunset, each artist will play a full set, serving up three incomparable nights of rock ‘n roll each weekend. Located at the home of the critically acclaimed Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival this is the only time and place to see this incredible lineup.

The three-day general admission passes to the Oct. 7-9 festival at the Empire Polo Club start at the same $399 price as the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, promoter Goldenvoice announced Tuesday. They go up to $1,599, including seats in two sets of grandstands. In addition to the three-day passes, single-day tickets will go for $199.

Ticket prices for this event have been a huge source of speculation on social media and at Goldenvoice’s just-concluded Coachella and Stagecoach festivals. Some experts suggested the general admission three-day price could start closer to $1,000 with single-days close to $400 just to cover the costs for such a mega-rock concert.

Goldenvoice President Paul Tollett said he was originally thinking about starting ticket prices at $599, which would have been $300 less than VIP passes at Coachella, until he spoke with a colleague.

“Why are you doing this?” the colleague asked Tollett.

“You know me,” Tollett replied.

“Yeah, you want the poster. So don’t let the ticket price be the story.”

Tollett collects festival posters. He has one for each of his Coachella festivals dating back to 1999 framed and hung in a hallway of his Indio home at Eldorado Polo Club, which he purchased less than three years ago to ensure adequate space for his music events such as Coachella and now Desert Trip.

The poster of Desert Trip will feature six names that have never been on a concert bill together even though they have all performed professionally for more than 50 years each.

As iconic as they all are...probably the only one on that ticket I would want to see is Young.
He still rocks out.

McCartney...meh...it's just a lot of OblaDi OblaDa nostalgia.
Stones...meh...tripping down memory lane with MIck trying to act like he's still 25.
Dylan...he's just a twisted up old man who mumbles so bad you can't understand him anymore.
Waters...ahhh...don't much care. He didn't do shit after Floyd...so what's he going to do now...?
The Who...should be "The What"..I mean, without Moon and Entwistle, what do you have...?...Townshend who can't hear anymore and Daltrey who can't sing anymore.

That said...having them all on the bill is certainly a once-in-a-lifetime event, so purely from a historic perspective, it will be a big event...but had they put this bill together back in the day...then it would have truly been a monster event.

I can't imagine paying that kind of money to see any show.

If you adjust for reverse inflation, what would this ticket cost, say 40 years ago, when these guys were relevant?

Never mind, just googled it - $95. And then subtract for original member deaths and talent-waning geezer factor, the ticket is worth about $20. Seems reasonable.

I can't imagine paying that kind of money to see any show.

It is stupid expensive...but most big shows are stupid expensive these days. Being as it is a 3 day ticket to see 6 iconic rock shows at $133 a day for a GA ticket..it isn't that crazy for 2016... I probably won't be going as the venue absolutely blows. I know a dude who's brother is on the road crew for McCartney right now..It's a loooong shot but he might be able to get some passes..in that case I would go but shows like this are a bloody zoo and not really all that great to "watch" a 1/4 mile away from the stage... You watch the big screens placed all around the venue, not the stage where these little ant sized people are bouncing around.

I would never do it again but one of my old bros ( who is no longer kickin ) called me up about 5 years ago and asked me if I wanted to go see Buffalo Springfield at a pretty small venue here in L.A. called the Wiltern...Ticket was $350 yeeeeouch! But it was a small venue and Crosby, Stills and Young were all going to be there... Great Show wouldn't normally spend that much for a ticket.

Maybe you can have him sign your Pono. :D

Naa...I'm still using a cassette Walkman. ;)

I know you're not a fan of his music...that's cool...but I think it's hard to deny that he's always gotten some great guitar tones.
To me, he's very much like Jimmy Page, only the other side of the coin.
Page has the classic British Rock tones, while Young does that American Tweed stuff...and both can be super sloppy, but there's a raw intent to their playing that transcends the sloppy playing...even makes it sound good in many ways, IMO.

Naa...I'm still using a cassette Walkman. ;)

I know you're not a fan of his music...that's cool...but I think it's hard to deny that he's always gotten some great guitar tones.

To be honest I have no idea what his guitar sounds like. I've never paid attention to Neil Young longer than it takes to turn him off.

Hah ! Unless its punk, you're such a fucking hater. :D

@ TAE. I had a chance to see the Stones at on the steel wheels tour for free. Shitty seats at the LA sports arena. Nah, passed, they were already done.

The Wiltern is nice, saw Petty there a few years back.

Another great venue to see some of the 'classic' acts is the Canyon Club out in Agoura Hills. Saw the Doobie Bros, Blue Oyster Cult and Johnny Winter there.

Last edited:
Back