Only diamonds last forever.
Daddy told me long ago.
Don't be fooled by sunny weather.
And don't believe what you don't know.

There must be some kind of way out of here

Said the joker to the thief

There's just too much confusion

I can't get no relief

Can't resist a bit of self promotion, when I was playing in an electronic dance music act (that did play live on stage) back in 2006 we released a version of all along the watchtower, without a guitar in sight. We did have a license and payed royalties.

Oh it starts with drums because it is cross mixed from the previous song on the album. Link

We did have a license and payed royalties.k[/URL]

Is this something you need when home recording? If I am not monetizing anything, why would it matter?

Someone told me that a certain amount in sales needs to be generated before they can do anything. Like $10,000 in sales or something. Otherwise it not civil court but small claims.

How many 99 cent songs equal $10,000?

Last edited:
Over the mountain, take me across the sky
Something in my vision, something deep inside

Where did I wander, where do you think I wandered to
I've seen life's magic astral plane I travel through

I heard them tell me that this land of dreams was now
I told them I had ridden shooting stars
And said I'd show them how

Is this something you need when home recording? If I am not monetizing anything, why would it matter?

Someone told me that a certain amount in sales needs to be generated before they can do anything. Like $10,000 in sales or something. Otherwise it not civil court but small claims.

How many 99 cent songs equal $10,000?

The song was on one of our CD albums. In Australia you have to have a licence to press cd’s with cover songs on. We only had 1 cover song so the royalty fee was not that large per pressing run. Some countries do it differently.

In actual fact if you sell a song that you recorded that is not your own song and under copyright you are breaking the law as soon as you charge any amount.

Alan

Well, yeah you need to. If you are using someone else's material, you should pay for it. That's the law.

There is no dollar amount threshold. If you use someone else's material, you should pay for it. Whether you sell the song or give it away for free, it doesn't matter... according to the law. So, the one caveat that comes into play is when would someone come after you for payment if you used their song.

If you cover a major hit and post it on soundcloud and only 2 people listen to it, would the songwriter come after you for royalties? probably not.
If you cover a song no one heard of before and you sell 100 copies and the songwriter is destitute for money, he might want you to pay him.

The law says if you use someone else's material, you have to pay for it. There is no mention of any type of monetary value or threshold. At least in the US.

Nah, they are professionals in a commercialized game. Its all about money. A true home recording artist is no threat. If you made less than $500 in sales there would be no coarse of action.

Bitch it out in small claims.

Where are you finding your civil attorneys?

the law in the US is very poor.

Justice system only functions on 98% prison occupancy.

Everything else is a prove it game , and pick your words carefully.

A home and a residence isnt the same thing.

If you made less than $500 in sales there would be no coarse of action.

If you made $500 off of one of my songs, you better believe I'm coming after you. lol :D

the law in the US is very poor.

Justice system only functions on 98% prison occupancy.

Everything else is a prove it game , and pick your words carefully.

A home and a residence isnt the same thing.

What the hell are you talking about??

I am talking about spending about $10,000 and months to years in court providing discovery to get that $500.

How many times have you been arrested?

I am against piracy...Make rules that work, and cover all the artists equally.

Except the Dred Pirate Roberts. He sails the pirate ship REVENGE! And always wears a mask! Dude is dope.

Back