Those were the days

Pass us by a mere 44 years ago...once upon a time in a far away place in space n time I was in a pretty bad ass band....and yes those were some pretty salad days....

Same lead guitarist and I @ 8 years ago...maybe those were the days... He kinda does some bad ass stuff starting @ 3 minutes

Same lead guitarist and I @ 8 years ago...maybe those were the days... He kinda does some bad ass stuff starting @ 3 minutes...

Picked a good song there. How'd you like it if your band's debut single was 'Creep'... Great song, IMO.

Listening to Creep, the points where the singer goes into falsetto sounded familiar in some way. It sounded like a song from the early 70's but I couldn't recall exactly. I kept thinking Radiohead was ripping this section from an old rock band hit from yesteryear, and after looping it in my head for a long time it finally came to me. I was sure it was The Hollie's The Air That I Breathe - 1974, and it is the song I was thinking of but it's not an exact match. Yet every time I hear Creep that section sounds like The Hollies' hit to me.

Listening to Creep, the points where the singer goes into falsetto sounded familiar in some way. It sounded like a song from the early 70's but I couldn't recall exactly. I kept thinking Radiohead was ripping this section from an old rock band hit from yesteryear, and after looping it in my head for a long time it finally came to me. I was sure it was The Hollie's The Air That I Breathe - 1974, and it is the song I was thinking of but it's not an exact match. Yet every time I hear Creep that section sounds like The Hollies' hit to me.

Yeah, I heard it too. It's the chord progression, the part where it goes up.

Hey TAE, 'do you know what I mean'? :D

Now I've got that one stuck in my head.

Oh, well, could be worse. At least it's one I like.

... 1975

Our first country/rock band, we had just hooked up with an acoustic player who was writing some really nice material. After 6 months or so we got invited to play at the Birchmere - the original hole-in-the-wall small venue in an old shopping center. Place wasn't much bigger than a small 1 bedroom apartment. The sound system was Bose 901 speakers dangling from the ceiling in all the corners, and they sounded good.

There were a lot of bluegrass acts playing there and we were worried the crowd wouldn't like our music. While waiting in the back room, a waitress kept bringing pitchers of free beer so by the time we went on we weren't as concerned whether or not we'd be accepted.

We opened that night and after the first song, an original country rocker, everyone applauded- even a few whistles. People were just finishing up their dinners and ordering more drinks and we played on.

Everyone enjoed the show and we were invited back. We never managed to play there the same nights as any of their big names - many of the same ones playing their new location today - but some of us managed to be in the audience to see them on several occassions.

birchmere '66.jpg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/goin...fe0bf8-f145-11e5-89c3-a647fcce95e0_story.html

Last edited:
Wouldn't you love to have all the money us old farts have blown on weed over the years? And I didn't even smoke that long - late teens to early 30's, but when I did it, I went all out.

I got really lucky and dodged a bullet with coke. There wasn't much around my small town at the time. Well, not in MY circles anyway. I only did it a couple of times, and I'm positive that it wasn't really coke either time, because I'm pretty positive I would have liked coke. I mean REALLY liked coke. Really, really liked it. From all accounts, that was just what I was looking for. I was also lucky that whatever it was I was given wasn't something nasty that might have killed me.

My best friend really liked shrooms, but they never did anything much for me. I think I just would have needed 4 times the quantity to achieve the desired effect. I've always been like that.

I really dug acid, though, but none of my friends really liked it because it was too intense for them. For me, there was no ride more fun than a journey to the center of my mind. But it left me pretty burnt for about a week, so I just drifted away from it, and I could tell it wasn't particularly good for me so I thought I'd better quit while I was ahead, instead of waiting until I was a head.

But some days, I still would kill for a joint.

Funny to see people post things from 8-10 years ago as 'the good old days', guess its all perspective.

My good old days were the 70s for sure. 3 pics of me with friends in 74/75 in Montreal. Chuck's gone (brain aneurysm), Maria's gone (cancer), Mary is an artist in Vermont, Jon a professor in Iowa, and me a poor working schlep posting on HR.com!

mcgill1.jpgmcgill2.jpgmcgill3.jpg

It's legal all over the place now, go for it!

Everywhere but here! I promised my wife when we first got together that I'd stop. Her only real objection to it at the time was that she didn't want to be married to a guy who was going to prison. And it was time anyway. The onlt thing that I ever really developed a 'problem' with. Plus it actually just kind of stopped working. No matter how much I smoked, I couldn't get high enough, it would only last for about 45 minutes, and then I felt like crap for the rest of the day. Yes, I actually got a hangover of sorts from pot. I really don't need to go through all that again.

Funny to see people post things from 8-10 years ago as 'the good old days', guess its all perspective.

My good old days were the 70s for sure. 3 pics of me with friends in 74/75 in Montreal. Chuck's gone (brain aneurysm), Maria's gone (cancer), Mary is an artist in Vermont, Jon a professor in Iowa, and me a poor working schlep posting on HR.com!

View attachment 106842View attachment 106843View attachment 106844

Damn hippies! Love it! Dems was the daze....but so are these ;)

Good old days? This was 1975. As the song says, "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now!" I've still got both the S100 and the Thunderbird amp. The Kustom PA is long gone. The shiny blue shirt is also gone.

Apparently there was a recording being made. Note the two microphones hanging in front of my amp and the bassist's cab. Maybe the other guitar player did it with his cassette deck. I can't remember.

Talisman 1975 B.jpg

Man :thumbs up: Those shots bring back memories. That's the same period we were playing festivals and other outdoor gigs. We ran everything through a Traynor PA system with large horn cabs, which I mixed from stage.

Back