Take the money and run.....

I always found his films really complicated ........ or I am just dumb?

I will give it a watch though.

I always found his films really complicated ........ or I am just dumb?

I will give it a watch though.
No you're not dumb.

He's a little weird and sometimes hard to follow. Using film as his medium he's good at finding ways of making fun of the absurdities of life, himself and our preconceived stereotypical ways...there is a lot of subtle humor going on in the background that can be missed. Rodney Dangerfield meets dumb and dumber..

I was @ 15 in 69 and it was a lot different than most comedies of the time...It has been 40+ years since I watched it and I have to admit that it kind of drags on for me now at 67 years old.... a ton of great movies that have come since that era. Bananas was pretty funny too and of course Annie Hall... Oh well I had mentioned it previously here and finally found it in this subtitled version so I posted it...

Here's from Wiki

Critical response

The film received mostly positive reviews. Vincent Canby of The New York Times described it as "a movie that is, in effect, a feature-length, two-reel comedy—something very special and eccentric and funny", even though toward the end "a certain monotony sets in" with Allen's comedy rhythm. In his later review of Annie Hall, Canby revised his opinion of Take the Money and Run, stating "Annie Hall is not terribly far removed from Take the Money and Run, his first work as a triple-threat man, which is not to put down the new movie but to upgrade the earlier one".

Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times found the film to have many funny moments, but "in the last analysis it isn't a very funny movie", with the fault lying with its visual humor and editing. In October 2013, the film was voted by the Guardian readers as the sixth best film directed by Allen.

On the review aggregator web site Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds a 90% positive rating from top film critics based on 18 reviews, with one of the two negative reviews coming from Roger Ebert.

Last edited:
I liked Woody. I saw most everything before the allegations came out. As much as I believe he's a criminal, I think Midnight In Paris is a great film. I'll overlook the disturbed artist to watch that.

I saw Take the Money and Run on a double feature with Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex. I was young. I enjoyed Take the Money, I didn't understand "Everything" at all. I never saw either since.

Back