Stone Temple Pilots with Jeff Gutt

Supercreep

Lizard People
Thoughts on this? I used to dig on STP back in the 90s. Scott Weiland died unsurprisingly. Jeff seems to be doing a pretty good job covering old stuff and writing new stuff too.

I tried to make a poll, but somehow ate a bag of dicks.

I'll have to check that out.

I was never really into STP back then, but since. There's a "STP on latenight" thing on Youtube. Shows all of their performances on the latenight shows, Letterman, Leno, etc. Good songs, and the Deleo brothers are an awesome team. But it also documents the rise and fall, the many faces of Scott Weiland(don't do drugs, kids). I've watched it over and over...perhaps partly out of morbid fascination. Sour Girl is a personal favorite....a version of which has Junior Brown on lap steel.

Did you know they have an album entitled "Purple"? :thumbs up:

I've had a listen.

I've not been a big fan from the beginning, so this is all hindsight. I think, if memory serves, in the beginning STP(or Weiland) was somewhat dismissed as a poser in that whole Seattle sound thing. An imitator of those who were basically imitating the sound and vocal delivery of Kurt Cobain and Nirvana. Any truth to this is in the eyes/ear of the beholder, I reckon. But from what I have just observed, and realizing many STP fans may not be interested in a new vocal interpretation, Gutt is leaning more towards sounding like Weiland than doing his own thing. An affected delivery. An imitation of an imitation of an imitation? A little pitchy(live), as well.

Weiland started out with that throaty sort of growl. Later, things such as Vaseline, he had dropped the growl in favor of what could be said to be his normal voice, less affected. Later, by the time of the above mentioned Sour Girl, he at times had moved into a more vulnerable head voice delivery. I suspect affectations by Gutt to follow those changes well come off as less than sincere to a lot of STP fans.

Haven't listened to any of STP's new original work, yet.

Although the Deleo brothers are a power house(and probably contenders for the loudest ever guests on those latenight show appearances), for me STP just isn't STP without Weiland.

I encourage you to watch that STP On Latenight video. It totly rocks and is excellent documentation of the changes that took place throughout their time together.

Happy New Year, KC.

I've had a listen.

I've not been a big fan from the beginning, so this is all hindsight. I think, if memory serves, in the beginning STP(or Weiland) was somewhat dismissed as a poser in that whole Seattle sound thing. An imitator of those who were basically imitating the sound and vocal delivery of Kurt Cobain and Nirvana. Any truth to this is in the eyes/ear of the beholder, I reckon. But from what I have just observed, and realizing many STP fans may not be interested in a new vocal interpretation, Gutt is leaning more towards sounding like Weiland than doing his own thing. An affected delivery. An imitation of an imitation of an imitation? A little pitchy(live), as well.

Weiland started out with that throaty sort of growl. Later, things such as Vaseline, he had dropped the growl in favor of what could be said to be his normal voice, less affected. Later, by the time of the above mentioned Sour Girl, he at times had moved into a more vulnerable head voice delivery. I suspect affectations by Gutt to follow those changes well come off as less than sincere to a lot of STP fans.

Haven't listened to any of STP's new original work, yet.

Although the Deleo brothers are a power house(and probably contenders for the loudest ever guests on those latenight show appearances), for me STP just isn't STP without Weiland.

I encourage you to watch that STP On Latenight video. It totly rocks and is excellent documentation of the changes that took place throughout their time together.

Happy New Year, KC.

It seems in the grundge movement, anyone who played in that style were posers except for Nirvana.

I am sure Les Claypool would be pleased to know he is a poser. But then his name is 'Mud'.

I think that was a bit of sarcasm. Could be wrong, but I think STP were considered more of an imitator of Pearl Jam, who were considered an imitator of Nirvana. I wasn't really a fan of any of it at the time, "grunge". Although I had to play some of it at the time in the 80s, hair band crap, grunge in the 90s was an answer to that genre. It went from party and get laid in the 80s to deep depressive pity me self-loathing darkness in the 90s. I didn't care for it, thought it was sad that that was the alternative younger people were subjected to as the in thing. Thought it was dangerous. Don't care for Nirvana to this day, creeps me out. You invite and entertain depression, it can take you places that are not easily escaped. It can become very much not cool if you're not careful.

Dylan said, "Little boy lost, he takes himself so seriously. He brags of his misery, he likes to live so dangerously.....He's sure got a lot of gall, to be so useless and all. Muttering small talk at the wall, while i'm in the hall. How can I explain when it's so hard to get on!"

Of course it is all subjective, but my interpretation of those lines is just that. Toying with depression, celebrating it, even. Which can then lead to self loathing and withdrawal, a self imposed prison of darkness and an inward narrative that you're useless, a creep loser and life is not worth living.

Sorry, got off on a tangent there. Has nothing to do with the 90s or Grunge.....except possibly Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, Scott Weiland, Chris Cornell, Chester Bennington, and who knows how many fans of that genre.

Admittedly I haven't delved very deeply into STPs catalogue, but contrary to what I may have thought at the time back in the 90s, I don't really consider them a grunge band. ymmv

I think that was a bit of sarcasm. Could be wrong, but I think STP were considered more of an imitator of Pearl Jam, who were considered an imitator of Nirvana. I wasn't really a fan of any of it at the time, "grunge".

My comment (as usual) was a joke. Tongue in cheek kind of stuff. But I am coming to the conclusion that Americans do not have a sense of humour.

I dont do the depression thing. I find it just gets you down.

I lied!

Hey, anybody heard this new guy they have singing for the band Stone Temple Pilots? What say ye?

(wouldn't want the OP to return to find his thread in such chuck amuck. can't imagine how things went so far astray :D)

I lied!

Hey, anybody heard this new guy they have singing for the band Stone Temple Pilots? What say ye?

(wouldn't want the OP to return to find his thread in such chuck amuck. can't imagine how things went so far astray :D)

I bid you goodnight ............ I may be some time. :eek::eek:

Last edited:
I always thought that was weird, because none of those bands sound anything alike. Also, STP > Pearl Jam.

Yeah, I can see what you're saying, but can also sort of understand the pigeon hole. Maybe, coming out of what came before with the hairband thing in the 80s, and even further back into the 70s, the goal vocally was often stratosphere. Even DL Roth, arguably baritone, rather than melodically coping, VH tuned down a half step to give the illusion of following that stratospheric blueprint. The 90s came and the blueprint changed...w/ Cobain, Vedder, Weiland, Stapp, etc. Even guys like Layne Staley followed the new blueprint, though vocally he likely had the ability and range to follow the old.

Anyway, i'm rambling and probably full of shit, who cares.

Back