Star Wars ~ The Rise Of Skywalker

grimtraveller

If only for a moment.....
Well, I didn't want to see it. I only saw it because my older son wanted to and I'd said I'd go with him if he didn't see the midnight showing on Thursday....and he didn't. So I had to.
And I found it awful. What a crock. A 3 legged dog of a movie.
Happy new shirt !

I remember when the FIRST Star Wars movie came out. There were cars lined up on the interstate trying to get off the ramp to the road going to the movie theater. The special effects were MIND BLOWING... in 1977.

I'll wait until it shows up on HBO or as a $10 DVD. I've got to complete the movie collection, along the the Godfather, Lord of the Rings, Back to the Future. (y'know, it seems like the last one is always the worst).

I'll wait until it shows up on HBO or as a $10 DVD. I've got to complete the movie collection
I've been into the whole Star Wars thing since '79. I loved the original trilogy but it took some persuading for me to get into the prequels. But I did. I wasn't sold on the sequels, I thought, why can't they just leave well alone ? I hated "The Force Awakens" when I first saw it......but it made sense and I grew into it when "The Last Jedi" came out. I thought that was a really good film even though it was probably the most divisive movie ever made. But as soon as the plot was leaked on this one {I hate leaks. I like to view a film cold. I won't even watch trailers} and I heard the Emperor was in it, I wanted nothing to do with it. It was like Bobby coming back in Dallas or Dirty Den coming back in East Enders. Stupid.
But I felt that way initially about "The Phantom menace" {I fell asleep 6 times the first time I saw it} and "The Force Awakens" and now I quite like them. I have them all on DVD as well as the two "Clone wars" {the 120 episode animation is underrated and superb and highly worth it} and "Rogue One" but "The Rise" is the first one that I won't even countenance watching again. It really had no redeeming feature. It felt all the while I was watching it like a fan fiction !

y'know, it seems like the last one is always the worst
That was certainly the case with the original trilogy although it contains some of the best Star Wars moments. It's certainly the case with "The Rise of Skywalker." But it wasn't the case with the prequels. I thought "Revenge of the Sith"
was far and away the best of the prequels. It's actually 3rd in my list of the 9, bettered only by the original 2.
That said, I think sequels have been overdone to death. I liked "The 4 Musketeers" but the "Return of the Musketeers" was skid marks in the underpants. I'm not easily satisfied when it comes to films.

Yeah, I did the movie thing with my niece for Captain Marvel. It was supposed to be a billion dollar movie,we went opening weekend.The theater was empty. 4-5 families in the whole showing. How did it sell so many tickets to be a billion dollar movie? I would expect a packed house on multiple screens. Then lines out front. Nope. Empty.

Star wars 76' was lines around the block. You would see it, and get back in line again. Blockbuster of all time.

The new ones they just made. I would be pissed if I was Disney. They spent billions on them , and that was the best they could do? Ouch. They suck at it.

Yeah, I did the movie thing with my niece for Captain Marvel. It was supposed to be a billion dollar movie,we went opening weekend.The theater was empty. 4-5 families in the whole showing. How did it sell so many tickets to be a billion dollar movie? I would expect a packed house on multiple screens. Then lines out front. Nope. Empty.

I feel bad... I'm so behind the times. Over the holidays, I watched Green Lantern on HBO. Released in 2011, eh? I must have missed it!

I just don't get into the whole Marvel Universe thing. CW has about al half dozen superhero shows, plus the movies. I've watched a few episodes, but that was all I could take. Maybe it's because I quit reading comic books in the
mid 60s.

On the other hand. Ford Vs Ferrari was pretty good. I don't think it was as good as LeMans for the racing scenes, but it was a better story line.

My kids like the whole Marvel CU thing but I've never been interested. I enjoyed the comics in the 70s and early 80s and I actually liked the Sam Raimi "Spiderman" trilogy {well, I liked 1 and 3. 2 was "meh"}. I liked the live action Spiderman from the late 70s even though there was enough cheese in them to make pizzas for the whole of Guatemala and the Fox Kids Spiderman is 65 episodes of pure gold. Some great drama. But for some reason, all the others I've seen just don't translate out of my imagination. I liked the first Superman movie, despite it being so slushy and feel good. Its sequel was like walking through a manure filled grass field at night with no moonlight.

Back