Springsteen on Broadway

dachay2tnr

One Hit Wonder
So, anyone watch this yet? Your thoughts?

I must start by admitting I’m a Jersey guy. That said, I’ve never been much of a Springsteen fan. I saw him at the local haunts well before he became famous. He was obviously talented even when he was a nobody. In fact, i liked his song material better then, than after he’d “made it.”

All of that said, this show is pretty good. He has always been great at holding an audience. Surprisingly, to me at least, the music is the weakest part of it. It’s mostly stripped down versions of his songs. Maybe if I was more familiar with his material, or maybe if I liked the songs better, I might appreciate it more. But there is more dialog than songs, and that is its strong suit.

I found it pretty entertaining. What was your take?

Edit: should I have mentioned it’s available on Netflix?

Last edited:
I just noticed it was on netflix, it started out ok, but then he goes on and on and on about being a kid under his tree and his neighborhood and his hometown, and it was extensive and pointless so I had to stop watching it, me, me, me, me, me ok ok ok already. I'll resume it maybe in a week for some more. I was a huge fan for a couple of years, way back.

I was a huge fan for a couple of years, way back.

Kudos that you managed to hang in there that long. ;) :D

For me, it was only one year maybe, during the BTR heyday...but having to cover a few of his tunes in a band setting, I quickly got over The Boss, and after that it became almost annoying to listen to him.

I was never a big fan but the huge stadiums filled and a long run as some Boss thing, was impressive in a perseverance way.
the E street Band and all that.

Ill definitely check it out!

Im a huge Beatle fan but every song wasnt that great either. Their story was bigger than that, and the changing times and evolution, for better or worse and the simple times of having one big roadie Mal all those years ago is crazy to think.

I thought Bruce was like a folk dude and he supposedly did an album/cassette on 4track....so I recall buying that one for that reason.
He was kind of larger than just the music too, or was made larger by the "machine" of fame?

<ADD> ok I tried watching it, it wasnt for me. It was really different, Ive never seen a Broadway show? It seemed really really long even when I fast forwarded it. But I give him 5 stars for the balls to do it and its something really different and hes totally opening up about himself.
Its a show, like a piece of art theatre imo...hell what do I know. Its definitely not a stadium with 80,000 people watching him play his hits.

Last edited:
I saw more of it and my GF actually watched about 30mins of it with me, only because he refers to Elvis without saying Elvis and she's a huge Elvis fan and never could listen to Bruce, so I was in shock watching her like it. But it's so much about Bruce, I can only handle about 2 songs w/ story each session, eventually I'll probably see all of it but 2 1/2 hours at once will never happen.

I saw more of it and my GF actually watched about 30mins of it with me, only because he refers to Elvis without saying Elvis and she's a huge Elvis fan and never could listen to Bruce, so I was in shock watching her like it. But it's so much about Bruce, I can only handle about 2 songs w/ story each session, eventually I'll probably see all of it but 2 1/2 hours at once will never happen.
in fairness it’s based on his book, which was an autobiography. So, of course, it’s gonna be “about Bruce.” That’s what an autobiography is.

You can choose to like it or not. But saying it’s too much about Bruce is like saying you didn’t like the Eagles concert cause all they played were Eagles songs.

I thought it was a bit self-deprecating. He admits to not having had a drivers license and not knowing how to drive, but then making a fortune writing car songs. And also about being from a boardwalk town where everything has a tinge of “fraud” about it, including by reference, him.

Of course he’s actually from Freehold, which is not a boardwalk town. Lol. But he did work the Jersey shore bar scene.

As I said earlier, I was never much of a fan. I still thought this was worth watchIng.

I still thought this was worth watchIng.

I will probably catch it at some point...because I like most anything that has historical content, and that's about music..plus, I grew up in NJ, and lived down in Central NJ, not far from Freehold, Englishtown and the shore...and was surrounded by that music for years.

.plus, I grew up in NJ, and lived down in Central NJ, not far from Freehold, Englishtown and the shore...and was surrounded by that music for years.
I’m from the same general area. Grew up in Old Bridge. Kinda next to Englishtown. They still have the auction there, although it’s been many years since I’ve gone to it.

A band I was in played the Chatterbox in Seaside Heights, Memorial Day weekend 1966. Used to also play the clubs on Rte 35 in South Amboy if you’re familiar. The names escape me though. Captain’s Garter might have neen one. Or the Mousetrap on Rt 9. In fact, Springsteen played there as well.

I’m from the same general area. Grew up in Old Bridge. Kinda next to Englishtown. They still have the auction there, although it’s been many years since I’ve gone to it.

A band I was in played the Chatterbox in Seaside Heights, Memorial Day weekend 1966. Used to also play the clubs on Rte 35 in South Amboy if you’re familiar. The names escape me though. Captain’s Garter might have neen one. Or the Mousetrap on Rt 9. In fact, Springsteen played there as well.

I didn't move down to Central Jersey (Jamesburg) until '76...before that we lived up a bit, in Rahway, before that up a bit more in Hillside, and before that up in Newark...and now I've been up in NY since the mid-'80s. :D

Back