Sofar So Good?

TAE

All you have is now
So in these www times there are sooo many places you can go watch cool acts on Youtube...I stumbled upon this thing called Sofar Music...where they set up these intimate gigs in offhand not normal venues all around the world.. It'd be cool to check one out in my neck of the woods ...even cooler if I could perform..

Anyway.. below is a introduction video to what Sofar Sound is..

And here is link to 100's of these eclectic concerts they've recorded over the last few years...pretty dang cool

that's a lot of original music....to me its showing the path of video and great audio is more and more the norm, the new HR.

the outlet for the art becomes large for the artist too with this SoFar thing...

the three videos I listened to were really well done and the sound was great....the music genre all over the place was pretty cool in the small offbeat settings "in a room".

almost a new form of music, smaller simpler, high quality video and audio. bohemian jazz kind of vibe returns?

The genre's run the world wide musical gamut...but yeah this bohemian jazz thing is catching on around the world..

I am blown away at the extent of VERY TALENTED unknown artist and yet also very famous artist ( like Ed Sheeran) playing these very intimate invite only private jams..

That this has been going down for 8 years and this is the first mention of it here at HR.com is pretty bizarre too. I just stumbled upon it accidentally. I had just read an article in Tape Op about this crazy recording artist engineer that goes by "I am snow angel" wanted to familiarize myself with who and what she did...( she's pretty cool) googled it and there was a video of her doing this cool little gig....it was hosted by sofar...clicked on the sofar icon after watching the video and then clicked on their library...... HOLY SHIT WTF is this? Sorted it by date and it went back 8 years...some with millions of views...

A few side notes...not very many old farts performing..so alas unlikely Tomco is going to get to get a gig....( But I'm going to try!) another as I am a keyboard player I scanned videos where there were keys in the video... as time went on from the early days it was like this reduction to almost 100% Nord keys...I suspect there may be some sponsoring going on here as though I know a lot of people like the nord's, most pro's use Rolands and Yamaha's ...I own an electro 4 so I am in the nord club but I NEVER use it for the piano sounds. My Yamaha MOX8 provides me with a much better IMO feel and sound for the piano.... For my audition video I'll use the damn Nord just in case....

BTW Here is the Tape Op article on "I AM SNOW ANGEL" and the podcast of the same interview HERE and here's another article from a recording magazine I'd never heard of MAGNETIC She's pretty talented and seriously committed to making cool noises.......Never too old to learn and this ableton live thing and the EDM thing kind of meld into my old progrock experimental synthesizer days in the 70's I still possess my first synth a Roland SH3, 42 years later still a pretty bad ass synth... It's a world apart from what I have been immersed in the last few years but I may venture back into the cosmic synthetic world of sound again..."time will tell about the circus and the wishing well"

Last edited:
This is great, TAE. Will definitely be checking out a lot of videos at night. I watch Tiny Desk all the time. I love the concept of an artist who can break their songs down to the minimums and still perform it well.
Thanks for posting this up.

to me its showing the path of video and great audio is more and more the norm, the new HR.
Yeah, that was my vision when I started the Music Video Production forum here at HR. Never took off like I was hoping. But then again, putting together a music video is so much more work than recording the song. I am guilty of not doing much with video lately. Hoping to change that soon.

Yeah, that was my vision when I started the Music Video Production forum here at HR. Never took off like I was hoping. But then again, putting together a music video is so much more work than recording the song. I am guilty of not doing much with video lately. Hoping to change that soon.

I've been doing the one shot very simple live audio recordings for 4 years now... It takes a lot of practice ( at least for me) to get even close to a result I am happy with but I have succeeded to some degree on a few...my hope is to take it to the next level with me recording myself both audio and video with a 3 camera iphone set up ( pretty inexpensive set up) and a green screen behind me where I can go back and mix the 3 camera angles and put visuals behind me on the green screen..but it all takes time and $$...and then more time and more time...to be able for me to truly immerse myself in this project I need to get my finances to a place where if I want to take a few weeks off and just bury myself in creation I can do it without the wife worrying about paying the bills........working on it...MAYBE it is going to happen...if not I just have to crawl along till I get somewhere near the vision...

Back