Social Media's part in election manipulation........Yikes!

He has a 1 hour lecture explaining the Search Engine Manipulation Effect...though the lecture is kinda dry and drags.

If you really want to spend 2 hours being both entertained and seriously informed about just how much we are manipulated by technology...watch this:

I'm convince that "social media" will be the downfall of civilization. Everyone thinks that they can put up anything they want, and espouse whatever ill conceived philosophies, or prejudiced ideals they can dream up, without regards to the effects on society at large.

... aka anarchy!

Not to worry, the next gamma ray burst will knock out all the electronic gizmos we love, along with a good chunk of the atmosphere, and enough radiation to decimate surface life on earth. Problem solved!

Last edited:
I think if we just eliminate people it's sufficient. Of course, there's a lot of collateral damage getting there, but it seems like we've got most of the process worked out...

If only Ted were as dismayed by a few right-wing billionaires (and Russian oligarchs) having so much influence on our elections and political system in general.

You’re kidding, right???
Social media is heavily left leaning, supports SJW culture, political correctness, loves to censor anything not in lockstep with liberal values.

Why should we confine our concerns to "right wing" billionaires. Aren't left wing billionaires just as much of an issue as right wing billionaires? For Google to influence from 2.6 to 15 MILLION votes is as much of a concern as any Russian interference. Are right wing billionaires "bad" and left wing billionaires "good"?

Too many people today are ruled by the click bait stories and the twisted narratives in the media (both sides). Things must be black or white. There is no middle ground anymore.

Why should we confine our concerns to "right wing" billionaires. Aren't left wing billionaires just as much of an issue as right wing billionaires?

Yup.

Left wing, right wing, same bird. And that bird is a bird of prey that is preying on us by creating the division. This division of the people only serves to weaken us.

I’ll bet at the end of the day, lefties and righties have more in common with each other than we think.
But by pitting us against each other we can’t have good dialog and come to terms on a level everyone can agree with.

But you came here to point that out about the 'right wing'. That makes you just part of the crap. Misinformation. Propaganda. My dads bigger than your dad. Normal folk are sick to death of this shite and sick to death of being told that they are white privileged and racist or/and homophobic and sexist if they don't believe the same as the 'leftie's. Truth is very few people are any of those things.

What ever you or your leftie chums keep spouting, it won't change my mind about anything. It just makes me believe and do or vote 'other' than you and I will vote the opposite to your agenda even if I have no idea what it is.

Anyway I saw another reptilian down at Tesco's today. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Yup.

Left wing, right wing, same bird. And that bird is a bird of prey that is preying on us by creating the division. This division of the people only serves to weaken us.

I’ll bet at the end of the day, lefties and righties have more in common with each other than we think.
But by pitting us against each other we can’t have good dialog and come to terms on a level everyone can agree with.

IMO RFR is correct about the exploitation of right and left social media extremists by the media. The media (social and otherwise) only uses whatever they want to please their "fans"....either left or right. The "news" is not the news anymore. We tune into a network or open a media page that "soothes" our personal feelings. We like to think...or hope.....that what we're watching and or reading is correct. It must be....right? Oh those bastards liars on the other network or site. Bastards!! Uh...huh. Hmmmm.......yup.....if you say so.

While we blithely soothe our feelings........the real problem in social media is most certainly foreign interference. We're naive if we think it's not there or isn't consequential in our politics. "Oh.....grow up.......it makes no difference." Right? Maybe they're trying to help your candidate. Or maybe you don't think people actually believe what they read. Oh sure.....uh huh. Hello !! Whether you're left or right or in the middle or whatever........nothing good can come of foreign interference in our elections......and that's just what it is. If we can't unite around such a thought.......then they win and we lose. There are lots of things we need to do for the future of our children and our country. Getting this fixed is paramount.

A minor example of how to twist the news:

From Yahoo News, Headline reads Trump on coronavirus: 'If we stop testing right now, we'd have very few cases, if any.' Why he's dangerously wrong.

Actual storyline from the article:
On Monday, President Trump added his voice to this soothing chorus. “Our testing is so much bigger and more advanced than any other country (we have done a great job on this!) that it shows more cases,” Trump tweeted in the morning. “Without testing, or weak testing, we would be showing almost no cases. Testing is a double edged sword - Makes us look bad, but good to have!!!”

“If we stop testing right now,” the president added during an event for seniors at the White House, “we’d have very few cases, if any.”

Here's a word the author needs to learn:

Sarcasm

Sarcasm is "a sharp, bitter, or cutting expression or remark; a bitter gibe or taunt". Sarcasm may employ ambivalence, although sarcasm is not necessarily ironic. Most noticeable in spoken word, sarcasm is mainly distinguished by the inflection with which it is spoken and is largely context-dependent.

Reactions: TAE
The extreme left is exploiting Floyd/BLM for their own political purposes...but the far left is NOT made up of black people, but predominantly entitled, elite-thinking white people.
TBH...I think many of the media talking heads are also being exploited by extremists, on both sides, but very prominently on the left at this time, because of the upcoming election.
The general public, including much of the general media, think all that is a bunch of conspiracy junk about the "deep state" and all that stuff...
...but their strings are being pulled.

I get the feeling that at some point in the near future...there will be a middle/working class revolt...and all the people who are caught in what is truly the majority middle, will rise up and push back at the extremists on either end who are pulling the country apart and not really helping anything...it's just a power play.

Back