So - what's with the notable usage of cassette based recorders in the Tascam forum?

PorterhouseMusic

Mitakuye Oyasin
I certainly don't mean to be disrespectful - and hope this doesn't come off that way. But if you look at the Tascam forum on this site.... there are a lot of threads regarding different Tascam cassette recorders. A basic small digital recorder can be found cheap and easily these days. I'm wondering why - it seems anyway - that so many folks are working with old tech?

Any thoughts?

People like it. Just that simple. :)

Also, a properly functioning machine is simple plug and play. No menues, no windows. Just old fashioned tactile goodness. Plus, one skilled in recording can make radio quality recordings. Cassettes don't have to sound like crap, and can often sound better than a digital recording. (If you know what you're doing)

Funny thing is that I just read this article 20 min ago

LINK

Alan

Ha! Interesting. Good article.

I have to admit that while I moved on from my PortaOne 25 years ago - I still am very happy to stay inside my DP-32SD. I'm slowly warming up to and getting better with Cubase - but I still love the straight forward workflow of the Tascam DP - even with it's considerable limitations. And it's looking like I will begin a hybrid process of tracking in the DP and then moving tracks into Cubase.

So yeah... I guess in that sense - I'm a little hypocritical.

for me my iphone has replaced my cassette recorder, it does a pretty good job of recording ideas without the issues of tape and noise, I've used it to record band rehearsals as well.

I like them because it forces you to simplify everything. And I grew up recording on them...so some nostalgia.

Back