Silly, amusing thought of the day.....

RFR

Amusing to me anyway. :D

Watching some live videos, the importance of a lead singer playing an instrument became very apparent. :)

What does a singer do while the band is jamming away and guitarists are exchanging solos? Nothing. Except to do the stupid white boy dance, possibly beating on a tambourine. :D

Even the lowly bass player is active during the whole song, providing something of substance to the song and performance.

Even the background singers (often female)
can at least dance and groove along to the tune all while looking good.

But the lead singer? When not singing, just looks goofy.
:D

He does a Freddie Mercury with half a mic stand whilst the lead guitarist scowls at him with a "don't be a wanker!" look...

It's like something Cary Grant (I think it was) used to bring up - what to do with your hands when you're seated in an armless chair on open ground (not at a table or counter).

Watching Mick Jagger, he seems to run from side to side making faces at the audience.

Now Bon Scott had it down! Just put the guitarist on your shoulders while he's soloing. :D
But even he had his 'looking silly' moments.

Wow.... just wow. :mad:

Aww, come on! Lets get real. It's a known fact the bass player is last to get laid. Unless..... he's the lead singer as well. ☆
☆ But that rule is void in the case of Geddy Lee of Rush.

Aww, come on! Lets get real. It's a known fact the bass player is last to get laid.

I don't know if that's entirely true. Sounds like the bass player in your band is getting screwed before he even gets on stage. :p

Of course, when in doubt, fire the drummer. :D

But yeah, getting back to your original post.
But the lead singer? When not singing, just looks goofy.

Yup. and even when he is singing.

People should post goofy lead singer videos :D

My bass player NEVER gets laid...... He's married. Hell, half the time his wife won't even let him come out to rehearsals lol :D

Here's a typical conversation between him and I.
Me, "We rehearsing friday?"

Him, "I dunno, let me check with the wife. She may have plans."
:eek::wtf::facepalm::spank::rolleyes:

I just told my wife I joined a third band. She's elated. Maybe I need to rethink this.... :eek:

one exception: Janis Joplin. She would literally turn into a fan when she wasn't singing, rockin to the band

I've been in a band with a lead singer...and he was good at what he did. Not a super fantastic singing voice, but a real "front man"...who could work the audience in-between songs when needed, and he never tried to hog the spotlight because he was the singer, like some do.

Also was in a band where even tough a couple of us carried most of the lead vocals duties, we thought adding a female singer might give us another dimension with the type of songs we did. She didn't play anything, so she did some lead vocals, and the rest backups...and she banged on the tambourine when there was nothing else for her to do during songs....until the drummer decided to bang her...and then that was the end of the her singing role, and then shortly after that the band broke because the drummer became pissy when she got booted out.

That said, at all other times when I've either been in a band or thought of being in one or putting one together, I always preferred the idea of everyone in the band playing an instrument(s)...with at least a couple of people being able to carry the lead singing duties, and the others at least some backups, though if everyone in the band was able to take on some lead vocals, that would be even better...as it would really balance out the whole band, and no one person would have any more or less importance.
Not saying that having a great lead singer (male or female) would never be a consideration...because some of them really do deserve to be called "lead singers".

Nice post, but the topic is how lead singers look like idiots when they're not singing. ;)
Miro, you had to go turn it into an almost legitimate thread. :D :D

Nice post, but the topic is how lead singers look like idiots when they're not singing. ;)
Miro, you had to go turn it into an almost legitimate thread. :D :D

Well I did touch on that aspect...and said there was one band the lead singer was a true "front man"....or did you only want examples o the ones who look like idiots when not singing? :D

AFA almost legitimizing the thread...I apologize! I'll see if I can think of something illegitimate to add to it. :p

Well I did touch on that aspect...and said there was one band the lead singer was a true "front man"....or did you only want examples o the ones who look like idiots when not singing? :D

AFA almost legitimizing the thread...I apologize! I'll see if I can think of something illegitimate to add to it. :p

I always had faith in you. :D

I always thought of DL roth as THE poster boy for lead singer syndrome. Well, until axl rose. NO OFFENSE please don't troll me> Don't taze me bro'!

Back