Rush

probably the death of Neil Peart. Or James Hunt. One of the two. Unclear at this time.

NP. But more generally that the band I loved above all others is gone. The last several albums were kind of shit, but nobody likes to see the familiar landscape of their younger years just disappear. Tl;dr: getting old sucks.

I rather like it.

I would love to hear your explanation as to why...? :D

Here's my take (nothing that others have not said before)...if I could take my experience/knowledge (what little I have) and my current life/economic situation that I have now...and then step back, oh...about 15-20 years...that would be great.

Sure, being in my 20's was a lot of fun, but I had a lot still to learn. Of course, getting old comes with a lot of pain that I could live without. There's the pain of seeing people fade away around you, but also physically, it's a lot harder to do the same things we did when we were in our 20s/30s.

I'm looking at over a dozen pairs if high-end racing skis, and a pile of ski clothing and peripheral gear...and I sue do miss those days when I could bomb down the hill all day long and get up the next day and do I all over again. I stopped doing that because my hip/back/knee joints were getting completely destroyed...and I didn't want to end up with replacement surgery...so now I do some work, and then I limp the next day.

No...I think in the end, maybe being young-n-stupid was more fun than getting old and beat up...but I'm still hanging in there, though some days it's hard getting up. This past year + of work around the house and the construction...has taken its toll on me. It's not easy anymore.

AFA Rush (the band)...I could watch/listen to Neil Pert play for hours...he was a masterful technician that also played with a musical feel, and not just a beat keeper. That said...I could never get past Geddy Lee's voice to listen to Rush for more than 5 minutes...unless Neil was doing an extended solo.
Man...that voice...when singing he sounds like someone is perpetually stepping on his toes...otherwise, he is a great bass player and his keyboard playing ain't too shabby either.

Alex Lifeson I can't help but like...we're from the same old country of former Yugoslavia...or now I guess I should say, we are both from Serbia.

I would love to hear your explanation as to why...?
Because I like living.

Here's my take (nothing that others have not said before)...if I could take my experience/knowledge (what little I have) and my current life/economic situation that I have now...and then step back, oh...about 15-20 years...that would be great
It wouldn't be for me. Not because I wouldn't have been able to handle it or whatnot, but simply because it's not where I was. I learn {sometimes slowly} from the past and live in the present and try to apply the combination of both for the future. Which, by the time it arrives is the present but not long after will be the past.......

No...I think in the end, maybe being young-n-stupid was more fun than getting old and beat up...but I'm still hanging in there, though some days it's hard getting up. This past year + of work around the house and the construction...has taken its toll on me. It's not easy anymore.
No particular period of my life thus far has been more or less fun. All periods have had measures {by no means equal} of both ~ sometimes within the same day.
Being a Christian who takes life, God and love seriously as realities probably has something to do with it but I genuinely like living and I can honestly say that even where there were shitty points to a day or a week or period or whatever, I'm enthralled with being alive, even if the world isn't exactly how I'd personally like it to be !
Granted, some things really aren't easy anymore, but rolling with the punches has long been a way of life for me. I'm in middle age and maybe I'll change my views by the time I'm on the cusp of old age {if I make it} but I don't find anything about old age that sucks. My teens had major suckage. My 20s had major suckage. My 30s had major suckage. My 40s had major suckage.
But I still loved them. Because they also had major wonders.

AFA Rush, I could watch/listen to Neil Pert play for hours...he was a masterful technician that also played with a musical feel, and not just a beat keeper
I saw Rush play at Wembley back in '83 and I was most unimpressed. I can't explain why. And I particularly disliked Neil's solo. In fact, that was probably the start of my disdain for drum solos although I tried to dig them for the next 20 years or more. To this day I can't stand them.
But one performance I didn't like doesn't impinge on my love, respect and admiration for Rush as a band or Neil Peart as a drummer. Not only was he one of heavy rock's outstanding lyricists and thinkers, he elevated heavy drumming to places Ginger Baker had been veering towards and guys like Ian Paice and Bill Ward were changing, that concept of being a musician who happened to play music on drums as opposed to being a drummer. That's not to denigrate drummers because I love both and both have a crucial part to play. They do come with different approaches, though.

I could never get past Geddy Lee's voice to listen to Rush for more than 5 minutes...Man...that voice...when singing he sounds like someone is perpetually stepping on his toes...otherwise, he is a great bass player
By the time I got around to hearing Rush and Geddy's voice, I'd already heard Robert Plant ~ an important stepping stone for me on the way to learning to appreciate vocalists, particularly in heavy rock. Up until I heard him, for me, any bloke with a high pitched voice was kind of laughable because in the world of a boy growing up in 1970s England, men and high pitched voices was just not an equation that would help you pass a maths exam. I was literally shocked when I first heard Plant.....by the time I'd got to the end of "Physical Graffiti" the voice was no longer a concern. So when I heard Rush some 9 months later Geddy's voice was no big deal to me. I'd read about it being like Jon Anderson's but as I didn't listen to Yes for another 22 years, it was a moot point {I like his voice too}.
I actually really like Geddy's voice. "2112" was the 2nd Rush album I heard, just after "Waves" and I thought some of Geddy's vocalizations on the album {both on the concept side and side 2} were so funny. I still love 'em. "Don't ♫♪♫annoy us♫ further !♪♫" :laughings:
His bass playing has long thrilled me. Very melodically underrated and able to rock with the best of them.

Alex Lifeson I can't help but like...
From the first Rush LP I ever heard back in 1980 {Permanent Waves}, I just loved Alex's guitar playing. He doesn't always get mentioned when discussions of the great guitarists come up.
I do not know why.
His acoustic, electric, 6 and 12 string playing were top notch for me. I always found him inventive, a veritable wellspring of ideas. He could keep it simple, he could be confusingly complex. He could sound accessible and charming, he could be thunderously heavy. Simultaneously one's Mum could love his playing while one's Dad could hate it. His lead work was exemplary while his rhythm playing is perhaps the most underrated in heavy rock. Yet no less creative. Some of his riffs are among the most memorable I will ever hear while some of his solos are among the most musical. He's the kind of guitarist I'd want in a band. I'd fight tooth, fang and claw to keep him.

Because I like living.

That doesn't say why you enjoy getting older...we all like living, but I'm sure most people given a choice, would rather be on the younger side, rather than older...if it was possible to have a "Groundhog Day" kind of existence. :)

IOW...we take getting older as it comes, and of course, make the most of it...but while there can be a certain kind of enjoyment with every phase of life, getting old isn't it. Maybe some things you do when you are older are enjoyable...but physically getting old holds little enjoyment for most.

I gotta go outside and cut some wood pieces with my miter saw, and do some final outdoor paint touchups...and the thing that is holding me back from getting up off my ass to go do them...my sore back and my aching hip.
In my younger days...I would have already complete those things and moved on to something else today. :D

...physically getting old holds little enjoyment for most...

In my younger days...I would have already completed those things and moved on to something else today. :D
I'm approaching 72. I certainly don't possess the physical strength and stamina that I had 30, 20, or even 10 years ago. It aggravates me that I don't but I accept it. I pace myself.
On a related note concerning your snow blower, my driveway is 80 feet long. It was only 3 years ago that I finally bought a two stage Club Cadet snowblower. It works well in spite of the fact that isn't always as easily maneuverable as you may think. It's still a workout on your arms and legs.
If my driveway was 300 feet long....I'd buy a plow to put on the front end of my truck.

I'm approaching 72. I certainly don't possess the physical strength and stamina that I had 30, 20, or even 10 years ago. It aggravates me that I don't but I accept it. I pace myself.
On a related note concerning your snow blower, my driveway is 80 feet long. It was only 3 years ago that I finally bought a two stage Club Cadet snowblower. It works well in spite of the fact that isn't always as easily maneuverable as you may think. It's still a workout on your arms and legs.
If my driveway was 300 feet long....I'd buy a plow to put on the front end of my truck.

Not sure which model you have and if they changed much since you got yours, but these new 3X models have power steering so that you can basically operate and turn it with one hand by pushing a button on either handle, and the wheels will run independently of each other for making turns...so right side button push causes the left wheel to stop turning, and the right wheel keeps going and you turn right...etc...when you release both buttons, both wheels turn and it goes straight.

Granted...if you have to back up a lot and then forward in tight spaces, it's going to take a bit more work, but you don't need to physically muscle these around to maneuver them and turn them.

Here, check out the guy in this video...he has that 3X Pro, 34"...I have the 3X HD 30"...the main difference besides the width of their chutes, is that the Pro has 14" auger blades and mine has 12", plus he has the drift cutters, which I didn't get, but could add later. Also the Pro has hydrostatic transmission rather than specific speeds...which I guess is nice, but not a big need-to-have.
This guy also has a pretty long driveway which circles around...so he's got about the same amount of work as I do. The larger auger blades will move a bit more snow...but the real key to these are their 3 stages...so even the 12" moves plenty. If I was using a blower (or I guess thrower is the proper term) for commercial work, then the 14" would be the better deal...but the Pro is like another $1k more.

Anyway...I will know how great it is when it snows...but I feel pretty good about this one getting the job done, and I will most likely still keep my plow guy on tap for the really big storms, and then use the thrower to follow-up if I need to widen things...or when there are lighter snowfalls and I don't want him to rip up the driveway unnecessarily.

Last edited:
I just realized that this isn't the Snow Blower thread I started...when I posted the reply above, I thought it was...I guess because the previous post mentioned snow blowers and Cub Cadet.

Anyway...didn't mean to change the direction of the OP.

That doesn't say why you enjoy getting older...we all like living, but I'm sure most people given a choice, would rather be on the younger side, rather than older...
Not everyone does like living. It's a curious thing but one can not like living, yet not want to die.
But I like living. And getting older does not diminish the love I have of life. Aches and pains ? I got those playing football for 24 years.
I've been trying to think of anything that I could do when I was in my teens, 20s or 30s that I can't or don't currently do that I wish I could still do and I can't think of anything. I loved playing football. I could play in a variety of positions and I was quite a commanding player. But I don't miss it. By pacing myself and not going to extremes either way I try to keep in fair condition. Of course there are things I wish didn't happen, but then, I've always felt that. Hayfever was no fun at 12, 15, 37 or now ! And conditions, illnesses or discomfort isn't going to stop me enjoying life. Even when it feels like some people I run into are determined to prevent me from doing so.
I have enjoyed getting older because I like living. It's not just a case of putting up with it. I find that life holds endless joys. Now, maybe if I'm around in 20 years time I might look back at these pages and think what a twat I was, who knows tomorrow ?
But no, I don't long for yesteryear and all that came with it. I've not yet reached a point where I feel that life holds nothing more for me to delve into and enjoy. I do agree with you though, that {at least, I suspect it} most people given the choice would rather be on the younger side than the older side of life.
I'm just not one of them.

You're talking about just the spiritual side of life in general...I'm talking about the physical side of getting older...two different things.

Rush was a pretty darn good movie, close to the classics Lemans and Grand Prix.

I'm glad I got to see both James Hunt and Niki Lauda in their glory days. I remember the days when F1 drivers would be running F5000 and Can-Am cars on the off weekends. It was really common to see Chris Amon, Keke Rosburg, Alan Jones and David Hobbs pounding around tracks with Unser, Andretti, Johncock, and Redman.

.... and that little ol' band from Canada wasn't too shabby either!

Back