Rush

Aside from the spiritual and physical deterioration aspects of growing older there is one aspect of getting older that neither Miro or Grim have not yet debated. Wisdom
I have to say, considering the number of old people that I have known or currently know or hear, I've long found wisdom to be in worryingly short supply. I don't believe it automatically comes with aging and I don't believe it can't be found in people very much younger. One rarely hears of aged immaturity but it's a lot more common than many of us would like to acknowledge.

I have to say, considering the number of old people that I have known or currently know or hear, I've long found wisdom to be in worryingly short supply. I don't believe it automatically comes with aging ... One rarely hears of aged immaturity but it's a lot more common than many of us would like to acknowledge.

I may be getting old but I refuse to grow up! :D Sadly a lot of us old farts just get more stubborn and ornery as we age.... My Pops said it best.."The more I know the more I realize how little I know" It is a sad circle we run...in the end sure we may know a bit more not make as many mistakes...... but wise?.....Hell no....definitely a rare find...a wise man that is....

You mean life isn't a bowl of cherries? ;)

Wisdom is the application of intelligence, right? It makes sense that in gaining it one might surrender a little certainty. There's too much to know.

Wisdom is the application of intelligence, right? It makes sense that in gaining it one might surrender a little certainty. There's too much to know.[/QUOTE
I chose the word "Wisdom" for a reason.
I think you know why.
Wouldn't it be awesome if the members of Congress and the Senate utilized the intelligence and wisdom they purportedly possess to work on behalf of the people they represent.
They don't.
Surrendering even a "little certainty" will never occur unless term limits are imposed on politicians to limit the amount of time that they can serve in The House or the Senate.
The Presidential seat is limited to two terms in office.
Fortunately, the American people do have the the ability to vote their congressional representatives and Senators out office regardless of the lack of term limits.

I'll just leave this here...

Ecclesiastes - A short book written to the man (no gender implied) walking under the sun (us). There is nothing new under the sun. Everything is vanity (emptiness). What goes around comes around.
Also, Wisdom speaks in this book.
Talks a lot about aging, etc...
And there's a Byrd's song in here.
Short book, easy read, I highly recommend it.

Ecclesiastes - Short book, easy read, I highly recommend it
It's an easy book to take the wrong way though. It's only the final part that makes the whole book make sense.
I still recall that day, sometime in the mid 80s when I was reading it on a train station platform and burst out laughing in the early section {I think the first chapter} when the writer realizes the wise person and the fool both reach the same ending and asks what has he to gain in being wise if this is the case.
For some reason, that really tickled me. But it actually provides the key to the book and particularly the book's conclusion.

Wow sad to hear about Miro...I warned him about talking shit about Geddy's voice :laughings:

On the whole getting old sucks thing I really dig Grim's perspective and also get Miro's about the physicality deterioration part..

As Einstien Magoo mention the Byrds song Turn turn turn...That's the deal... My Mom @ 88 joked that getting old isn't for sissies...
My Gramps @ the same age told me...Son if I had known I was going to live this long I'd of taken better care of myself.

At 67 other than the skin cancer torture, physically on the joint side of life I am still doing awesome considering my very body beating career as a tile setter between 25 and 45....Definitely have lost some strength, bruise a hell of lot easier and wrenching on the cars is a little more painful...

The skin cancer thing really grabbed me by the balls, threw me on the ground and let me know dude your days are numbered. I am REALLY grateful I have been able to close deaths door temporarily and recognize I might only make it a year more or I could go another 20...Hoping I can get at least 10 decent ones in before I have to say adios.

Just spent the night with my 2 daughters and 6 grandkids doing the Halloween thing and I can attest that on that level getting old does not suck.

Wrote a song @ 1987 after my Pops passed reflecting on time.

It's funny when we are young we can't wait to grow up, ride a bike, drive a car, buy alcohol and then poof your 30 and going whoa...time is starting to fly, and by 60 I describe it something like this....They hold up your birthday cake and it has 60 candles you turn around and there they are with one with 61 :eek: SHIT time speeds up as we get older.....It took forever for me to be able to turn 16 and be able to drive...

The song runs in the vein of of Ecclesiastics and turn turn turn

There's a time in life when your just too young
There's a time in life when life is just no fun

Chorus.....
Time
Ticking away
Year after month after week, day after day
Time is the enemy
It ticks past you becomes a memory
Time's an illusion
But it sure feels real

There's a time in life when your just too old
There's a time in life when life is just so cold

Chorus.....
Time
Ticking away
Time is the enemy
Time's an illusion
But it sure feels real

There a time in life when there's no more time
There's a time in life when you must cross the finish line

Chorus.....
Time
Ticking away
Time is the enemy
Time's an illusion
But it sure feels real

I'll leave on this

Getting old sucks, but until the alternative truly seems like a better option, savor and enjoy the time you have here to the fullest of your ability.

Any day above ground is a good day!

Good night to the Euro dudes and to all the North Americaer's here get out there and seize this awesome day!

Last edited:
Back