Rush

Rush was a pretty darn good movie, close to the classics Lemans and Grand Prix.

I'm glad I got to see both James Hunt and Niki Lauda in their glory days. I remember the days when F1 drivers would be running F5000 and Can-Am cars on the off weekends. It was really common to see Chris Amon, Keke Rosburg, Alan Jones and David Hobbs pounding around tracks with Unser, Andretti, Johncock, and Redman.

.... and that little ol' band from Canada wasn't too shabby either!

Yeah...great movie.
I use to be into F1 racing up until Senna died...then I kinda kept up with it for the next couple of seasons, but eventually lost interest.
There is a really good documentary "Senna" that covers his career.

Did you see the recent movie "Ford vs. Ferrari"...? I thought it was pretty good overall.
One of my all time favorites is the one with Steve McQueen - "Le Mans"...but "Grand Prix" with James Garner is also great.

Yeah...I was heavily into both Indy and F1 racing for a long time.

Oh boy...here we go again off-topic! :D

You're talking about just the spiritual side of life in general...I'm talking about the physical side of getting older...two different things.
Not really. The two bleed into one another and the spiritual directly affects how I view, respond to and deal with the physical. And because for me life is a journey, the physical side of aging is perfectly normal if not exactly always something I hold parties about. So I enjoy life as it goes on and that which comes with it is that which comes with it. Aging doesn't suck to me ! I'm not saying that anyone or everyone else has to like getting old, just that I do. There are books to read, films/videos to watch, children to see grow, situations to monitor throughout the world, relationships to negotiate, matters to deal with, things to do, songs to work on, more to learn, character to develop, tests to engage in etc, etc.

Yeah...great movie.
I use to be into F1 racing up until Senna died...then I kinda kept up with it for the next couple of seasons, but eventually lost interest.
There is a really good documentary "Senna" that covers his career.

Did you see the recent movie "Ford vs. Ferrari"...? I thought it was pretty good overall.

Oh boy...here we go again off-topic! :D

"Senna" was really well done. Ford vs Ferrari was good, but the directors need to understand that when you are running flat out in top gear and hitting redline at 7000RPM, YOU CAN'T JUST GRAB ANOTHER GEAR AND GO FASTER! I know, it's artistic license, but its like a cowboy shooting 15 shots from a 6 shot revolver.

If you have nothing to do in the morning, the Portugal F1 race is tomorrow morning at 9am EDT on ESPN2. Its been nice getting the SkySports feed, which comes across without commercials.

On the other hand....
I would say my FAVORITE Rush albums seem to be the live albums for some reason. ATWAS, R30 and Show of Hands were all great. For studio albums, I really like Moving Pictures and Signals, but have albums going all the way back to Kings and 2112.

I haven't really listened to Rush Limbaugh for quite a few years. Like most political commentators, they get their talking point and just can't let it go. After a week or so, it just too repetitive. Still it's a shame he's got what appears to be terminal cancer. I don't wish that on anyone...

There are books to read, films/videos to watch, children to see grow, situations to monitor throughout the world, relationships to negotiate, matters to deal with, things to do, songs to work on, more to learn, character to develop, tests to engage in etc, etc.

All those things you could still do also if/when you were younger....they have little to do with getting old.:)

I get that you're trying to put a positive spin on aging...and I get that there is nothing we can do about it, so no use yearning for yesteryear...which is not what I was suggesting.
My perspective has always been about moving forward...no matter how much I might look back at some things from the past...but no one here can deny that feeling physically great like when you were in your 20's or 30's or even 40s, is in NO way going to outdone by how you or anyone feels in their 50s, 60s and so on.
We can't just imagine away (no matter how much incense or meditating one does) the fact that physically...it just ain't what it use to be as we get older. ;)

If you have nothing to do in the morning, the Portugal F1 race is tomorrow morning at 9am EDT on ESPN2. Its been nice getting the SkySports feed, which comes across without commercials.

At 9am...I will be rolling over to do the other side for a couple of hours more. :)

I didn't realize that they were still running the F1 season...though TBH, I never kept up on it.
I assume it's without packed crowds in the stands...?

The season started very late, and they skipped a lot of locations, China, Vietnam, Japan, Singapore, Australia, US, Canada. Instead they have run at a lot of classic European tracks that have been off the calendar. Nurburgring, Imola, Portugal, Mugello. They also ran two weekends at Silverstone and twice in Austria. It's made for an interesting season.

As with anything this year, limited attendance is the key to Covid era sports. Early races had no fans, but the big money is from TV these days anyway. At least they aren't piping in artificial crowd to make the TV sound like there's a stadium with 60,000 people. Gearheads just want to hear the engines anyway.

I guess unlike a basketball or football game...cheering from the crowds isn't really noticed by the racers, so it probably has little impact on their performance.

One of the other reasons I sorta gave up on pretty much all sports, unless it's something unique/special, like the World Cup, as opposed to following an entire season, etc...is just that, not wanting to devote specific time and time slots to watching sports for an entire season to see who wins.
I kinda figured as I got on in age...and didn't have to go to work anymore, etc...I would have more time for that kind of stuff, but so far I haven't been compelled to dive back into any regular sports watching.
Honestly....my only TV viewing these days amounts to catching one movie at the end of the night...and on the rare occasion, two in a row if there's really something good to watch. I'm a big fan of movies, as opposed to the other types of viewing choices.
If no movies, I might surf some of the "Discovery" stuff...but even those only have a couple of interesting topics, the rest have become just staged "reality" TV.

I get that you're trying to put a positive spin on aging...
We can't just imagine away the fact that physically...it just ain't what it use to be as we get older
I don't recall making such a point.
I remember when I was 21 {or maybe it was just before I turned 21}, my friend and I missed a bus and we were pretty pissed off. As it was such a cold day, we decided to walk to the next stop to at least try to keep warm and as we were doing so, we noticed the traffic was building up and that same bus was just ahead so we ran and tried to get to the stop before it but the driver overtook us and rather than stop and wait for us, he drove off. By this point we were taking it personally and determined that we were going to chase the bus to the next stop as the traffic was moving pretty slowly. But he drove on. The same thing happened two or three more times, so much so that people on the top floor of the bus had started to notice what was happening and I guess it became some in-flight Saturday afternoon entertainment for them. Patsy and I chased that bus for a mile before we eventually reached the stop before it and we were pouring with sweat with steam rising from our heads when we got on, glaring daggers at the driver as he feigned innocence. These were days when we were both pretty heavy smokers too. By the time I was 28 or 29, I couldn't have done that, even though I was at the peak of soccer playing fitness. In fact, at 28, I began to specifically notice a slight slowing down physically. But I didn't think "getting to my 30s sucks."
This stream of conversation began when Super said
nobody likes to see the familiar landscape of their younger years just disappear: getting old sucks
to which I replied that I rather liked it. I do. You asked me to explain why. It's not an argument or a debate. I've explained why, without going into what would probably be laboriously effortful detail for whoever has to read it. I've not put forth the view that there are no difficulties. I can't argue against someone that says that for them getting old sucks because I am not them. That's precisely why I put it in terms of "I rather like getting old" rather than "no it doesn't" ~ I do. For me the fact that there were things I could do when younger that I still can do now doesn't militate against the fact that for me, getting old does not suck. Nor does the fact that there are some things I can no longer do.
I get that you're trying to put a positive spin on aging...
We can't just imagine away the fact that physically...it just ain't what it use to be as we get older
I'm not really trying to put a positive spin on it. That I don't like specific aspects of aging is no big deal because I didn't like specific aspects of all the stages I've gone through in my life. Breaking my toes three times and all the other injuries I accumulated playing football didn't stop me liking the game. In a way, it's a bit like recording. There are some aspects I really could do without, for whatever reason. But I like the overall bag.

OK...got it...you actually don't mind how your physical body is deteriorating as you get older. ;)

You keep missing or avoiding the point...it's not that "getting old" sucks...I was specifically talking about the "getting old physically" sucks.
Now if that has no negative impact on all the things you like to do while getting old...then maybe you don't notice it...but I would say that 99.9% of people who are older than me, complain about the physical aspects (not the spiritual/emotional, whatever).

You keep suggesting that it doesn't bother you getting physically old...that it's "no big deal"...OK. :)

I cracked my shoulder during one skiing mishap about 20 years ago...and it hurt for a few weeks, but it didn't stop me from continuing to ski, and I was actually back on the slopes as soon as I could move my arm a bit, with the pain, because there was no cast they could put on my shoulder. I just had to make sure I didn't hit it again until it healed.
Now...20 years later...that shoulder injury wakes me at night sometimes, and hurts some days when it's colder...and I certainly would be much happier without that, not to mention the worn out hip, lower back issues, etc.
Getting old without those physical issues would be much more enjoyable. That was really my point...and I don't think anyone can just ignore their physical deterioration as they get older...instead, you just get use to making daily adjustments because of it.

Last edited:
He keeps having to reiterate his opinion 'cos you won't let him have it.

:facepalm:

He doesn't have to reiterate anything.
He dissects all my posts it into multiple quotes...extending the conversation, when he can just as easily let me have my opinion without replying...
...but thanks for caring, Steen.

As usual...you always want to make it about me not wanting to let it go...while everyone else can keep posting.

:rolleyes:

Ok. Trolls get put outside so do what you want, Miro.

You're baiting this guy hard, like you always do, then playing dumb.

No I'm not "bating" anyone...no matter how much you keep insisting.
Again...grim always replies by dissecting posts and creating multiple new perspectives...so the conversation goes on.
There is no trolling...we are having a conversation that either one of use can walk away from...and it ends.

You always want to single me out.
Also...this is Prime, where banter tends to be more loose and extended.

Honestly...what is your problem with that?

You know...if it wasn't for the few of us who still post here regularly...this place WOULD really be the HR graveyard, yet you seem to look for reasons to limit conversation where no one is attacking anyone...we are just discussing, no matter how long it goes.

It is 'baiting'.
Take a month and review it, man.

To anyone else who thinks that's heavy handed, it's a pattern and it's been discussed ad-nauseam in dm.
Refusing to back down in an intense debate is one thing but, damn, an opinion's an opinion.

Not everything has to be 'won'.

...an opinion's an opinion.
Not everything has to be 'won'.
Wise words indeed.
Aside from the spiritual and physical deterioration aspects of growing older there is one aspect of getting older that neither Miro or Grim have not yet debated. Wisdom.

In some ways getting older at 57 kind of sucks, in some ways not. Although I do feel those aches and pains we all were warned about as we get older, I can still do most everything I could do when younger. Or probably more accurately I can still do the things I want to do. Many friends, many lifelong from my younger years, they cannot say the same....because they are dead. It's unbelievable when I start counting, and when I do I always miss a few who at a later random time it will pop into my head, "oh yeah, I forgot him, and him", etc. I guess that's part of getting older as well, huh? Then you go to funerals, see old friends, and talk about how we all shouldn't wait until a funeral to get together. Only to get the word that there's another funeral to attend, and someone is missing...if you know what I mean. Oh well, ain't I a bundle of joy this morning, heh. In many ways, at times I have lived life hard, and still do, at times. I feel blessed to still be around.

Speaking of still being around. A friend from back in my 20s commented on my hairline after I got out the shower. My brother very apparently began thinning early in life, and in my 20s I overheard someone comment "you know who's next" in reference to me. The years have passed and even I am surprised, although thinner, I still have hair on the top of my head where it's not necessarily that noticeable. The "you know who's next" guy is almost completely bald on top. Many guys my age have caught up with me, or even passed me in thinning. I used to be sort of self conscious about it, now at my age it's pretty much par for the course. Although i'm an old bastard I still got hair on me head. So there's that. :p

As for Rush, the band. With the exception being 2112, which I liked, I never bought any of their albums or followed their career. I heard plenty of it from other friends who were into the band. I was more into the likes of Zeppelin. The band Rush, and those friends and acquaintances who were into Rush seemed ultra serious. "Hey man, this is serious music played by serious musicians." Listening to them butcher Rush songs didn't help, and those types rarely if ever gigged. It wasn't my bag. Later, as we all gained more media access to artists, interviews and such, and through my own purchase of the Rush Live in Rio dvd, it became more apparent that they didn't take themselves as seriously as I once assumed. They actually seemed to have good senses of humor, and Alex Lifeson as absolutely hilarious! They all seemed like pretty down to earth nice guys. I would highly recommend that Rio concert dvd. There's no wonder why bands love to tour South America, the crowd enthusiasm is unbelievable. Wow.

As an aside, a thought occurred to me many moons ago. The ultimate drummer would be John Bonham on kick, Stewart Copeland on hat and cymbals, and Neil Peart on everything else. ymmv

You keep missing or avoiding the point...it's not that "getting old" sucks...I was specifically talking about the "getting old physically" sucks.
Not before you said you said you'd like to hear why for me getting old doesn't suck. How in the world can I be missing the point or even better, avoiding it ? My statements in the conversation preceded anything you had to say on the subject.
but I would say that 99.9% of people who are older than me, complain about the physical aspects
Sure. I already agreed with that. Of course, we human beings complain about just about every aspect of life.
But I don't care. Just because the majority of people may feel a particular way doesn't make it right or mean I have to do likewise.
As I said before, I've always had to deal with something that I would rather wasn't there, bodily. But that doesn't or didn't define my life at that time and at least at this point in time, I cannot subscribe to getting old sucking. For me it doesn't and I rather like it.
That was really my point
Actually, you asked me for my explanation of why I like getting old before you made any point other than the one about Limbaugh which I said nothing about as I didn't know what you guys were talking about. Then you proceeded to find objections to anything I brought up as a reason, a reason that you specifically asked for in support of the comment I made to Supercreep about rather liking getting old.

He dissects all my posts it into multiple quotes
If you make 3 or 4 points that I find interesting enough to want to make a comment on......then I'll use the multi-quote function and deal with them one by one.

Back