"roll-call 2021"

Well, what are you looking for that your Bose don't give you?

Never mind. I shouldn't even ask. I've been out of the game so long I don't know jack about today's offerings.
Well, I don't know, it's like some folks will get a new car, although the one they have is fine. Maybe cause I spend so much of my life in the studio, and when there, it's Pandora or Youtube on my 48" tv running thru my stereo system, and may like trying a new sound.

Dan

Dude I've got 5000watts on the stage, and I can run lines from the house for medical devices. You do not need to haul a generator across the country.

Well, I'm more likely to have something much smaller, like in the 2200W inverter range, and I've got a van, so it won't be a big deal. And this time, I'm not going to haul 25 guitars and 3 amps 'just in case' like I did last time, so I should have plenty of room. If you fold the seats into the floor, a Grand Caravan has more cargo room than a Chevy Suburban.

Good deal. How did you get over it?

Well, it's a story. Get comfortable. lol.

I had been getting epidurals in that disc for a few years because of persistent pain. But I was running marathons, climbing mountains and cycling a hundred miles at a time so I was REALLY pushing my old man body. In December of 2019 I started training for a marathon that was supposed to take place in March of 2020. On January 24th I was running in the hills and stepped in a small hole and felt a little something. Again, my back always radiated pain so I didn't think much of it. The next day I went to the Roadster Show in Pomona with a buddy that was showing his car. At the end of the day I sat down to wait for my wife who was working the event. My back was REALLY sore. When I went to get up it felt like I got hit by a lightening bolt. It dropped me. I hobbled to the car and pretty much was like that for all of 2020. I stopped exercising altogether. It SUCKED!

I had two MRI's and an X Ray over the last couple of years. Their diagnosis was a bulging L4/L5/S1 disc and that it may never improve. So the depression set in.

One day I rode the Harley out to Santiago Canyon and ran in to a friend that I had been getting sports massages from for years but hadn't seen her since the lightening bolt thing. She recommended I go see a sports medicine doctor friend of hers so I made and appointment.

I walked into that appointment two weeks later with the MRI's, X Ray and Kaiser's diagnosis reports. I handed them to him and he said he didn't need it, and asked me what they were saying it was. I told him the L$/L5/S1 thing. He said no it wasn't. I asked him how he could make that diagnosis without seeing the images and he said he's seen hundreds of me and fixed them all. He gave me a series of core strengthening exercises and within two weeks I as about 90% better. I'm still working on that last 10% and it there are days when I can't feel the injury at all but at 90% I can still hike as much as I want.

So, basically, core strengthening exercises. lol

Last edited:
...He gave me a series of core strengthening exercises and within two weeks I as about 90% better. I'm still working on that last 10% and it there are days when I can't feel the injury at all but at 90% I can still hike as much as I want.

That's frickin' amazing. Great to hear!

within two weeks I as about 90% better. I can still hike as much as I want.

Joe that is an awesome happy ending dude! Frickin doctors...:facepalm: Are there any youtube video's of these core strengthening exercises? I learned a cool set of core exercises from Arnold palmer that he did every day but I would like to hear / see what you did that made such a dramatic difference..I'm lucky that I was built like a Neanderthal and still very rarely have an ache or pain anywhere on my fat ass body at 67..I have several musician buddies who's backs are all screwed guitarist and drummers...weird..My old compadre blames it on slinging that guitar...me as a keyboard player can only talk about moving 400+ pound hammonds around in my early days...

Joe that is an awesome happy ending dude! Frickin doctors...:facepalm: Are there any youtube video's of these core strengthening exercises? I learned a cool set of core exercises from Arnold palmer that he did every day but I would like to hear / see what you did that made such a dramatic difference..I'm lucky that I was built like a Neanderthal and still very rarely have an ache or pain anywhere on my fat ass body at 67..I have several musician buddies who's backs are all screwed guitarist and drummers...weird..My old compadre blames it on slinging that guitar...me as a keyboard player can only talk about moving 400+ pound hammonds around in my early days...

Definitely! I won't link them all here but I'm doing clam shells with a resistance band, and I think that has helped the most. And mini crunches are a close 2nd. I'm also doing glute bridges, modified or regular planks and side planks and diaphramatic breathing.

Also being mindful of my posture all the time.

That's frickin' amazing. Great to hear!

Dude, you have no idea. Much of my identity is wrapped around the outdoors and being in them. Not being able to enjoy them puts me in a pretty deep funk, which affects every other aspect of my life. Not good.

Upstate checking in....
Lost my passwords for that handle so got another one...
So hope to see everyone at this years event.... It is MANDATORY I think..? nut we had better ask QQ

S

EZ, howdid you start doing core exercises when you were in that much pain? My L5/S1 is bone on bone. Rupture at L3/L4/L5, and a couple more between my shoulder blades. The only options I've been given were fusions and implanted stimulators, and even then they only gave that a 50/50 chance of working.

EZ, howdid you start doing core exercises when you were in that much pain? My L5/S1 is bone on bone. Rupture at L3/L4/L5, and a couple more between my shoulder blades. The only options I've been given were fusions and implanted stimulators, and even then they only gave that a 50/50 chance of working.

Well, my injury varied on the pain scale from about a 4 to a 9. Some days were manageable and some days if I took too deep of a breath it would drop me. I saw the sports doctor guy when it was on the lower end of the scale and just started doing what he told me to do. But he checked to make sure I could do the exercises before sending me home for the week.

And again, my medical provider's diagnosis was L4/L5/S1, and they based that on a bulging disc. Sports doctor guy said it was a stability issue and had nothing to do with the disc. And based on the results I tend to believe him. Have you read any of the Dr. John Sarno books? This one is most relevant. He studied thousands of backs. Some were mangled based on the images and those people had no pain. Some people had no visible injuries and were nearly crippled. Backs are weird. And brains are weird. Maybe look at reading that one.

I also quit drinking a few months ago. AGAIN. lol. 2020 wasn't good for me in that area. And alcohol is an inflammatory. I think it was probably a combination of the core exercises, being told it wasn't a disc issue, eliminating alcohol, and being able to hike like crazy again. My guess it was a combination of all of those things.

But again, backs and brains are weird. I hope you find relief, brother. That was a TERRIBLE thing to live through. I'm not 100% right now but I've done 25 miles a week for the last month and only rarely do I even feel the injury. And when I do it's barely there.

But honestly, if your only options are continue on like you have been or get a surgery with a 50 % success rate I would absolutely get that surgery if all other options have been tried. FUCK living with that pain. I know a few ultrarunners that had the surgery and were back to running three days after the surgery. Absolute game changer. I read an article about another runner that got it and died on the table. If it came to that, and I thought mine was at that point, I told my doctor I'd rather be dead than to live another 20 years with that pain. Thank God I found a fix without the surgery.

Back