Rock/pop artists you think survived/didn't survive the 60s

Blue Jinn

Rider of the ARPocalypse
(Maybe this has been done before--and I'll do one for the 70s and 80s too)

Artists you think transcend the 60s and those that didn't, as in your opinion the music does/doesn't seem automatically 60s for whatever reason. +1's encouraged, so that there is a sense of who did better. If it's a mixed bag, (like stuff from 1964 wouldn't but 1968 does) then they count. Whether you like or hate the music now, that's not the criteria. Just because you hear it on the "Classic Rock Station" vs "the Oldies station" also doesn't mean anything. You don't have to actually have been old enough or alive in the 60s. Try to dismiss recording techniques. Also, they could have come back to life or died in the 70s, we're just talking about the 60s now. -1's encouraged too, if you disagree. Your definition of Rock or Pop can be as broad as you like, although I'm not sure how you'd classify something like Herb Albert. Do need some significant name recognition. I'm not sure how famous e.g. the Sonics or the Wailers are outside of the Pacific Northwest.

Here's my first takes

Survived:

The Doors
The Who
Rolling Stones
The Beatles, because they're the Beatles and because of Sgt Pepper
Moody Blues on the strength of Days of Future Past

Didn't survive:

Herman's Hermits
The Hollies
The Byrds
Jefferson Airplane, just way to hippie
Pink Floyd psychedelic era
Petula Clark
Lulu
Strawberry Alarm Clock
Tommy James and the Shondells

Last edited:
It's funny to see your no list as we just went to a dinner theatre and they played a song from every one of those groups/people. Some of them are probably still touring - in their wheelchairs. They're as old as my parents - one of whom has already passed. That Herman guy was on that PBS music show a few months back.

I could care less if I ever heard a Beatles or Doors song again.

The Who and Rolling Stones I'm still OK with, in moderation.

Lulu?

Back