Repercussions of a failed music industry

Off topic, I wonder how many people our age have been influenced by seeing KISS on the Halloween special in '76??? I've been checking out your sites, & thought it was pretty cool that the same tv show in 1976 was such a big influence on both of us...:D.[\quote]Probably more people than we realize. Most of the guys in the 70's bands talk about The Beatles on Ed Sullivan being the moment that put them on the path, The Paul Lynde Halloween Special was ours. I'll bet about 75% of musicians around 50 years old all have that memory.

Again, I think you did the right thing man, especially since you weren't going to re-track anything....gotta do what you gotta do....
I offered to do it, if he re-tracked the guitars and bass with a single tone. Even if it sucked, I could work with it. The main time-consuming thing about it is trying to get all the different sounds to come together in a coherent album

Talking about seeing KISS on tv, I was only 5...lol...But it had such a huge impact on me, I knew I wanted to be involved with music, even then...

On the re-tracking of the guitars/bass, did he have the di's, or would you have to pretty much start over??? Just curious...

When breaking in a set of new monitors. I listened to Mountain's "Nantucket Sleigh ride". Lousy mix by today's polished standards. Actually quite poor. Funny thing, all these years as a music fan, without my critical listening "engineer" hat on...........I never noticed. It was just a great piece of music!

The song trumps all. ALWAYS. Never forget that.

The irony is that at HR this doesn't apply. Recording technique trumps all (that mix is muddy, the snare needs more snap, the vocals have too much reverb . . . ) and the song itself barely gets acknowledgement.

That's hardly surprising, seeing as it is a home recording site, but curious nevertheless.

The irony is that at HR this doesn't apply. Recording technique trumps all (that mix is muddy, the snare needs more snap, the vocals have too much reverb . . . ) and the song itself barely gets acknowledgement.

That's hardly surprising, seeing as it is a home recording site, but curious nevertheless.

I adhere to that philosophy. That's why I always ignore song "advice". I've said repeatedly that I don't care what anyone thinks of my actual song when I post my tunes. Love it, hate it, don't care. Mix feedback is all that interests me. All I wanna know is how people hear it on their own good or shit setups. And in return, I don't critique anyone else's songwriting. I keep my comments strictly mix related. This is a recording forum.

Every time I've ever shared a song, it's to share the song. I'm not all that concerned about recording science.
I came here to learn how to build a computer.

While it's true, there still has to be a certain threshold of quality. It still has to be able to get the song across. A bad mix can ruin a song.

That being said, we are talking neo-classical progerssive metal with shred guitars. What are the chances that the song is going to carry a bad mix?

I've decided to make him an offer. I will do my best on the mixes, if he pulls down all the scratch mixes from youtube, along with all the karaoke tracks of the songs from the last album with his new singer singing...

He actually took a backing track mixes of the songs off the last album, had his new singer perform the songs, added keyboards to some of them and then posted them on Youtube.

I'm actually proud of the last album, but I don't talk about it because if you search for the songs, you are more likely to find the schlocked up versions than the official versions that I mixed and were professionally mastered.

I think it might be worth the trouble to get him to take all that crap down.

hell, nowadays you can shorten that to "people don't understand" anything!

That's the price of learning something well - loads of people seem stupid by comparison. But despite getting pretty good at two or three things in my life, I'm still an idiot. YMMV

musical quality is more important than sound quality

Despite the truth of that, I hear lots of stuff that just sounds bad. I'm like: "What? You couldn't even go to the trouble of making it SOUND good?"

They're both something to aim at. I esteem both.

I set up a room in my house in Vegas with everything I need to mix. I still have the Genelecs, but I sold the Urei 813's to a guy in Poland.

I've sold most of my mics and preamps and all the other stuff that is used solely for recording. All I have left is my Langevin dual vocal combo, AT4033, a few 57's, and boxes of mic cables and misfit snakes.

What are you recording these days?

Recording trumps all in the Clinic, which is as it should be. If you want feedback about the song itself rather than the mix, there's the songwriting forum for that. When I post something in the Clinic, I'm after mix critique. The people who want to comment on my chord structure or lyrics can go auto-eroticize.

Recording trumps all in the Clinic, which is as it should be. If you want feedback about the song itself rather than the mix, there's the songwriting forum for that. When I post something in the Clinic, I'm after mix critique. The people who want to comment on my chord structure or lyrics can go auto-eroticize.
I respectfully disagree (please don't ban me jimmy69).I look at recording, and the medium being recorded to, as simply the canvas onto which music gets put together. I don't feel any need to separate it out into recording/writing...blah blah...they're part of the same process, and the mp3 I post in the MP3 mixing clinic is the product of it.

Well, okay - let me rewrite what I wrote before then.

Recording trumps all in the Clinic, for me anyway. How's that?

I'll just tactfully ignore comments on the song itself, cuz I don't find them useful for what I'm doing.

The Clinic's great, though. There are enough people in there who really care about making good music to come up with stuff I really like. In about the past week I've heard some of my favorite stuff from Heatmiser, RAMI and Fritsthegirl. The place works.

Back