Remix Contest

I don't know if its really dead here, but I'm a relative newcomer. I enjoy reading what you guys are doing, and learning about about the peculiarities of digital recording.

Although I've been playing music for over 50 years and have dabbled in recording since the mid 70s, its always been a hobby. I've been slowing gathering recording gear, most of it on the lower end of the spectrum compared to what some guys are using. Still, the stuff I'm recording today is worlds better than what I ever got with a tape deck, and its cheap enough that I don't feel guilty about forking out a couple of hundred for something just to try it out.

One thing that I have noticed is there is often a disconnect between the original question (or request for a recommendation) and some of the answers. Case in point was a user who asked about recording guitar, and considering a Blue Yeti vs Scarlet Solo package. One fellow recommended he buy an SM57, and Royer 121 and a U87 along with Neve Portico. That's about $5000 worth of stuff to record a guitar and voice, most likely in a bedroom or den. Its like telling a 16 yr old that he needs to buy at least Mercedes or a Ferrari when he gets his license to drive.

Guilty. :p

I've offered "Google is your friend" as an answer many times when I saw people were just being too lazy to search a bit for their info. :D

I guess it's harder to search Google than post a question and wait 24 hours for an answer. :confused:

One thing that I have noticed is there is often a disconnect between the original question (or request for a recommendation) and some of the answers. Case in point was a user who asked about recording guitar, and considering a Blue Yeti vs Scarlet Solo package. One fellow recommended he buy an SM57, and Royer 121 and a U87 along with Neve Portico. That's about $5000 worth of stuff to record a guitar and voice, most likely in a bedroom or den. Its like telling a 16 yr old that he needs to buy at least Mercedes or a Ferrari when he gets his license to drive.

But often the bigger disconnect around here is with the guys who buy the Blue Yeti...and then are expecting pro quality results.

People take things out of context...and focus on one item or one situation, and they don't see the bigger picture yet they have big goals...or uncertain ones.

If you ask 200 guys who regularly record electric guitars and get optimum results, what mics to get...I think probably 190 of them will mention the SM57 and at least 150 will mention the Royer 121....why, because those are pretty much staples of electric guitar recording, or using some very comparable mic models.
There is a tendency (intentional or unintentional) with the home recording crowd to try and blur the lines that lead to pro results. Sometimes you can get away with it, but there is a reason why certain things work most of the time...and often there is a higher cost associated with that, though I know a lot of people who continue to live in denial.
This is an old discussion on home recording forums. Not to say you can't do some things on the cheap really well, but like so many things, you get what you pay for.

Back