Remix Contest

DM60

OK everyone, need some help here. This board is dead. I mean dead. But I think it is a great board. How do we get this place rocking? Show old school (we know what we are doing), with new school ideas.

Here it is, take an old song and remix it, cut it up, make it new. Post your mix where ever and give us the link. OK, is it legal, I don't know and I really don't care. This is for fun, and know one is going to make money anyway, so I am pretty sure you're not going to court.

Take the song, so your vuudo that you do so well and lets post.

Mods, tell us where we should post. But lets show we have the knowledge and the talent to make this really cool! The DAW is an instrument.

OK everyone, need some help here. This board is dead. I mean dead. But I think it is a great board. How do we get this place rocking?

I'm not remixing anything but I don't want you to be ignored so I'll chime in. If I were you, I'd take the things that you find most awesome about this site and suggest the people that are running this place do more of that. For instance, I like beer. You know what's better than one beer? Twelve beers. I will go to a place for a beer, but return and stay for all the beer I can drink. Seems reasonable, right? I mean, your suggestions will go ignored at best but at least you can say you tried. And that's something.

I'm not remixing anything but I don't want you to be ignored so I'll chime in. If I were you, I'd take the things that you find most awesome about this site and suggest the people that are running this place do more of that. For instance, I like beer. You know what's better than one beer? Twelve beers. I will go to a place for a beer, but return and stay for all the beer I can drink. Seems reasonable, right? I mean, your suggestions will go ignored at best but at least you can say you tried. And that's something.

Well, thought since everyone knew how to mix and manipulate, might have been fun. But maybe the idea wasn't as good as I thought when I posted. :)

Well, thought since everyone knew how to mix and manipulate, might have been fun. But maybe the idea wasn't as good as I thought when I posted. :)

I'm not saying it's not a great idea at all, I just meant that I won't be doing. It's not a bad idea really. I'd say go for it.

Hmmmmm..........a subjective contest that involves music. While it's true that things are dead around here.......maybe this isn't the way to go.

Hmmmmm..........a subjective contest that involves music. While it's true that things are dead around here.......maybe this isn't the way to go.

See Post #2 in this thread.

Also, and this too is subjective, ain't nothing bringing this dead ass joint back to life until the people running it want to revive it. And being that they killed it, it seems unlikely but THAT'S JUST MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION and I think we are still allowed to share those but I'm sorry if I have violated the updated TOS. lol.

I'm not sure that I would call this place dead. Comatose? Maybe. On life support? Probably. I haven't seen a priest giving last rites, but that doesn't mean he's not here somewhere.

What's the solution? I'm not sure that there is one. In the era of social media, the age of the BBS may have passed. At least, the concept of an active, organic BBS. From all appearances, this place still thrives as a database for anyone interested in home recording. At any one time, there are hundreds of guests here and, presumably, they are searching for information. Are they registering, posting, and discussing recording? No. They are lurking, gathering, and probably taking in an add or two. Apparently, Sweetwater still believes that this place is alive. :D

Realistically, the only option to liven something that's almost dead would be a direct injection of adrenalin. And the only adrenalin on the internet seems to be something resembling social media. If you can figure out what that looks like, aerosolize it, and spray it liberally, signs of life may return. What looks like social media inside a BBS? Probably some dark cave-like structure infested with bats, miscreants, and other social misfits.

About a month ago, I posted this:

Oddball Covers-Post 'em if you got 'em

I thought that maybe people would enjoy posting and hearing some oddball covers. I mistakenly assumed that we all had them laying around. I was wrong. Most of the stuff I posted got less than one or two views. I mean, seriously, you post a cover of Mother's Little Helper in the style of 1980's Belgian post punk and only one person bothers to gives it a listen? :facepalm:

It's funny that the only recent activity of note on HREC was the arrival and subsequent banning of a troll--Mr. Average. He stirred quite a few debates. Granted, most of them were idiotic. But at least people engaged and engaged in numbers. This leads me to believe that the only way to liven things up here would be fighting or some form of hooliganism. And that's not likely to happen. Those good old days aren't coming back. The most we can hope for is that Mr. Average will come back under an assumed alias and start up again. And that's not much of a shot of adrenalin. After all, he was old and sleep apnea. :D

dwillis45;451++++++///4536 said:
I mean, seriously, you post a cover of Mother's Little Helper in the style of 1980's Belgian post punk and only one person bothers to gives it a listen? :facepalm:

Wow!
You had that many?

We've done this before around here...tried to find things that could liven up the place...but as it stands now, it's no longer designed to be livened up anymore.
There's probably even some rules against that...somewhere.

AFA music demos...I hate to say this, but I don't think anyone really cares anymore...as you can see from your own experience.
There were a handful of people who kept posting their stuff over and over...mostly for the self-promotion...and they've all gone too.
It's been pretty soporific for a couple of years now. Once in awhile the sleep apnea causes someone to snore a bit louder or cough up some phlegm...but that's about it.

I suspect the rise of YouTube is the primary factor in the decline. If you have a recording question, you can pretty much depend on getting multiple tutorials on how to solve the issue. If you want to post music, you can do that even without having actual video. There is also social interaction or at least commenting that resembles some form of interaction. And if you are looking for validation, criticism, or disrespect, you can certainly get that, too. So what's left for the average recording BBS? Not much. A few old contacts and personalities and a few people (myself included) who prefer the format to more general forms of social media. But like everything else in this world, this demographic is getting older. Hell, I was dwillis45 when I signed up here. Now I'm dwillis60. The internet world moves forward and only a few stragglers are left behind. Maybe the best strategy is to get all the stragglers in once place. Is that here? I doubt it. There are enough competing BBS sites (we all know the names) to insure that we are a divided community. And, rightly or wrongly, HREC and it's history have helped create some of those competing sites. So, perhaps it's time to, as they say, "stick a fork in it."

It's funny that the only recent activity of note on HREC was the arrival and subsequent banning of a troll--Mr. Average. He stirred quite a few debates. Granted, most of them were idiotic. But at least people engaged and engaged in numbers. This leads me to believe that the only way to liven things up here would be fighting or some form of hooliganism. And that's not likely to happen. Those good old days aren't coming back. The most we can hope for is that Mr. Average will come back under an assumed alias and start up again. And that's not much of a shot of adrenalin. After all, he was old and sleep apnea. :D

Granted.......Mr Average did stir up some of this pot.......but I’d be willing to bet that characters like him do more to drive away people in the long run. I was almost one of those. I do agree that other media such as YouTube are getting more traffic for advice and other things. The main idea for this forum IMO was to provide a singular, reliable, place for good advice in a field that has grown exponentially since its inception. That growth has spawned a number of other sites like this one. That adds to the competition for posts of course. I know I’m just stating the obvious.

The main idea for this forum IMO was to provide a singular, reliable, place for good advice in a field that has grown exponentially since its inception.

The advice has always varied with the experience of the responding poster. I've seen good advice here as well as bad advice and wrong advice. In the old days, there were quite a few known professionals who would drop by, clear the dust, and give a more or less definitive opinion. Or at least have it out with someone of equal standing. These days, not so much. So it's not much of a one-stop place anymore. You really have to triangulate your research from a variety of other sources. Of course, the old advice is stilled buried deep if anyone bothers to search. And there are a few relevant stickies. I just wouldn't post an expect "expert" advice. Those folks seem to have vanished.

The other thing about this place is that you get a lot of perspective--as opposed to fact. The Mr. Average posts showed that pretty clearly. By perspective, I mean the kind of global thinking that doesn't really leave the reader with anything but generalized wisdom. Nothing concrete. Just philosophy. For example, I constantly hear people who say "just use your ears" or "experience will give you the answer." That's all well and good, but it's not helpful. It doesn't give neophytes any kind of a road map to follow. It simply implies that the responder has both experience and good ears, and the newbie does not. Of course, this is only my perspective. :D

For example, I constantly hear people who say "just use your ears" or "experience will give you the answer." That's all well and good, but it's not helpful. It doesn't give neophytes any kind of a road map to follow. It simply implies that the responder has both experience and good ears, and the newbie does not. Of course, this is only my perspective. :D

I think that too often newbs are given specific answers to general questions about subjective recording situations, because helpful people want to sound "in the know"...and the newbs then accept them as absolute.
Those specific answers may be 100% correct, for a given situation...but newbs won't consider that. Then...they get 10 more different specific answers...which may lead to more confusion...but when all of those answers are considered as a whole, what they are really telling the newb is..."use your ears" and find the solution that best fits your goals. :)

I think from now on I will recommend that people use their nose. If it stinks, you'll know it's not the right solution. :D ;)

I think that too often newbs are given specific answers to general questions about subjective recording situations, because helpful people want to sound "in the know"...and the newbs then accept them as absolute.
Those specific answers may be 100% correct, for a given situation...but newbs won't consider that. Then...they get 10 more different specific answers...which may lead to more confusion...but when all of those answers are considered as a whole, what they are really telling the newb is..."use your ears" and find the solution that best fits your goals. :)

I think from now on I will recommend that people use their nose. If it stinks, you'll know it's not the right solution. :D ;)

I'm just going to tell them to look it up on Google. :laughings:

I get this perspective on perspective. Sometimes there is no simple answer. Sometimes it comes down to fundamentals. Lately, I've been preaching the fundamentals of room acoustics. It seems like a good idea, but nobody wants to hear it when they are looking for new monitors. :D

Maybe this place has reached it's logical limit because every question has been asked and answered. There is always new gear and questions about that, but the big debates are over. I mean, how many times can people argue about mixing with headphones versus monitors. :confused:

Back