Queen movie...in the theater

CoolCat

Saw the movie. Pretty good... moved fast. With Netflix Im getting used to 10 episodes, movies are short and fast.
It was well done imo, some interesting points made. Some things I didnt know about the band.

My memory is of the first albums being harder rock, then the bigger sellers were not the same but...er....huge selling.

We had 1,II, then Sheer Heart Attack....and I stopped buying it, but everyone was playing Bohemian Rhap and I recall thinking, its not at all like the "real" band, the early albums. lol

I didnt know they put out so many other CD's.

1970...1980....anyone else see it yet? any queen concerts?

I haphazardly bought a ticket last minute waiting around and saw the Crazy Thing Called Love Tour....they were alright but they seemed kind of lost in that era of Long Long Hairs getting the 1980 chopped off hair buzz head looks...so half the band converted and half were still like the Queen 1 album.... I recall thinking the guitarist kicked ass, and was the best in the show.

Brian's no slouch, either.. May was awarded a PhD in astrophysics from Imperial College London in 2007 and was Chancellor of Liverpool John Moores University from 2008 to 2013. He was a "science team collaborator" with NASA's New Horizons Pluto mission.

Saw it last night. It was pretty stupid and very inaccurate. Although the Brian May actor killed it. I'll give him that.

Inaccurate in what way...?

I watched a Freddie Mercury documentary not to long ago, which I believe covered everything accurately...so it will be interesting to see what they messed up in the movie.

They chose to move the timeline around for the movie.
The big one that everyone's freaking out about is that, in the movie, Freddie had been diagnosed prior to Live Aid.
In reality it was a few years later.

I think the formation of the band and, in particular, Deacon's joining was sped up or just skipped over too.

I never really got people freaking about about taking these sorts of liberties.
It was never billed as a documentary and there's no shortage of those, if that's what someone wants.
I can see it being a little disappointing or grating for someone who knows the facts pretty well, though, I suppose.

They chose to move the timeline around for the movie.
The big one that everyone's freaking out about is that, in the movie, Freddie had been diagnosed prior to Live Aid.
In reality it was a few years later.

I think the formation of the band and, in particular, Deacon's joining was sped up or just skipped over too.

I never really got people freaking about about taking these sorts of liberties.
It was never billed as a documentary and there's no shortage of those, if that's what someone wants.
I can see it being a little disappointing or grating for someone who knows the facts pretty well, though, I suppose.
All of this exactly. I suppose if you didn't know anything about the band it would probably be better. It was cheesy which is fine, it's just the timeline of everything was weird. There was a documentary about the band a few years ago that was perfect. This was just weird. And I get that this wasn't a documentary but it was a movie about a real life event so I would think the filmmaker would have tried to get it right.

It was Hollywoodized. If they hadn't done that, it would have been another boring rock bio documentary. I thought the actors all did well, the use of the music - Freddie's lyrics matching things going on the movie (albeit with the distorted timeline) worked well. The first big world tour segment, with the city names flashing up was stupid - that was actually the tour when I saw them live, 1976 or 77 in Montreal.

It was Hollywoodized. If they hadn't done that, it would have been another boring rock bio documentary. I thought the actors all did well, the use of the music - Freddie's lyrics matching things going on the movie (albeit with the distorted timeline) worked well. The first big world tour segment, with the city names flashing up was stupid - that was actually the tour when I saw them live, 1976 or 77 in Montreal.

I don't disagree with any of this necessarily. It was targeted to the masses for obvious reasons.

Couldn't get to see it. Hopefully it will be back by me soon.

1986 Wembley and Knebworth .... I thought ....'nah I will leave it to next year'. Not one of my better ideas. :wtf:

Last edited:
I was thoroughly entertained with Bohemian Rhapsody. The music was great, the acting was great. Yes there were some liberties taken with the story/time line thing. I appreciated they didn't go down the dark nitty-gritty path of Freddy's personal life to much. It would have ruined the movie.
The blu-ray will include some cut scenes. They could have made this a 2-part movie.
Even though I'm a metal/punk guy, I always liked Queen.

Not a Queen fan and really never listened to them (had moved on from r&r to more acoustic stuff by that point), save the inescapable hits that are played at some venues, but I was aware of them and heard raves about the Live Aid show from similarly minded friends (who had TVs and so could watch it!). Anyway, went with wife & son yesterday. I thought it was fine. Definitely dramatized, even if I hadn't read some of the comments here, but, like those same friends that watched Queen's Live Aid performance and went to the movie, thought it was good entertainment. Can't complain - at least it wasn't another one targeted at teenage males...

Back