Pruning/Closing Threads?

60's guy

The most important thread here for many months had been the "My Corona" thread. In all likelihood, the "My Corona" thread is perhaps the single most important thread that has ever been posted here at HR.

The thread gave all of us an insight as to what was happening day to day, week to week, and month to month during the time of this Pandemic.

Here and there, on occasion, opinions varied as to the severity and the origin of Covid.

Even though recent posts within that thread may have been feverish, there wasn't anything posted that could possibly have been construed as a threat toward another member here at HR.

There was simply zero reason or rational applied to closing the "My Corona" thread.

The Covid virus will still be upon us tomorrow, next week, next month, or for another year or more.

Where do we go from here, and everyone will certainly be reluctant to voice an opinion, or ever share their stories of having lost one of their loved ones to Covid.

Maybe I didn't keep up enough, but I didn't see anything that was that bad.

Chilli did the right thing. When I went to bed at 1.00am UK time the tins of baked beans and canned pineapple were lined up ready for launching.

Besides some topics are always destined to go down a hole. People dying and getting ill or worried about getting ill do not always see anything but their take on it.

Chili has not said he is closing the thread permanently...if he does, he does he's a mod and has the power. I know exactly what he was talking about with regards to pruning and someone got a little aggressive with the personal insults..Made me kind of go WTF?
Hopefully he does the pruning which he has done on several occasions in multiple threads and reopens the thread..though I'd like it to be reopened ....he can do that or not and assuredly life will go on either way...

With regard to the most important thread ever...well thanks man but seriously the Ken D Weber "poised for greatness" Thread was the most important thread ever...I mean it gave us the heads up long before Ken D Weber became the most important figure in modern times that he was on his way.... to greatness....:laughings: Well or the Monty "Beat you with a rake" threads... Man I miss that dudes banter...one of the great ones of the early years...

Chilli did the right thing. When I went to bed at 1.00am UK time the tins of baked beans and canned pineapple were lined up ready for launching.

Besides some topics are always destined to go down a hole. People dying and getting ill or worried about getting ill do not always see anything but their take on it.

Thank you. I might have to try beans and pineapple.

---------- Update ----------

Chili has not said he is closing the thread permanently...

Thank you, TAE. The thread is now open.

Ah, you remembered the basil flakes. My new favorite spice is fennel.

Thanks Mick.

I like Fennel. It's what makes Italian Sweet Sausage taste like Italian Sweet Sausage. Fennel seed. Use in red sauce/gravy and such, and to doctor up homemade or dare I say frozen pizza. Fresh out of sweet sausage? a pinch of Fennel Seed and you almost, I say you almost don't miss the meat(and fat)

Homemade pizza most often involves a burrito size tortilla. A tin of sliced mushrooms, peppers n onions, and a pinch of fennel seed in a saute pan to sweat for a few. Sausage also, if fortunate to have some on hand. Tortilla, (very) light on the red sauce, light on the sauteed toppings, a bit more cheese, a light dollop of red sauce here and there. The piece de resistance, a pinch of oregano snapped into the air and a gentle shower evenly distributed.

My granddaughter always likes that last part, my wife not so much. When I do the cooking, she does the cleaning. Teamwork, I says.

Fennel is a member of the potato family, which is very strange! My wife didn't have any for a recipe she was cooking so substituted the tops of carrots - which look the same. If you have ever accidentally volt tested a 9v battery on your tongue that has leaked, the taste was exactly the same, and your tongue goes numb. Fennel is much nicer.

Did not know fennel was part of the potato family...weird

It grows wild here in Covina I'll toss a few seeds in my mouth when I'm out hiking in the trails here.

many years ago learned how to make Hot Italian sausage with my wife's grandparents...Fennel was part of the recipe...that was an awesome schooling...best sausage ever...and they taught me how to dry it too! OH Damn so good when it is dried...sliced real thin on white bread....mmmmm!

Mick Doobie said:
A tin of sliced mushrooms

Man I like the recipe and thought process but I guess it's a "what your used to" texture thing...Both the wife n I far prefer fresh mushrooms over canned mushrooms...but the tortilla idea is interesting...

On a side job kind of thing with my Chinese partner I have a small percentage of a Kitchen and Bath store of which I do a little baby sitting and make zero money so far...but it is a nice place to take customers and if friends or family need a deal on K&B stuff I can hook them up..So one of the companies that supplies some of our appliances had this blow out deal on outdoor pizza ovens.. A $400 wholesale oven for $150...damn I'm in...We have a natural gas barbecue so I already have a gas line out there...and the wife is always complaining about using the oven in the summer so I thought She'd be all happy when I brought it home.....NOPE WTF? Why did you buy that? We don't need it, I don't want it!...Have I ever thought about divorce? Nope...murder often times but divorce never ;) So there it sits taking up space in my music room until I do the big remodel she has been waiting 20 years for.....Hopefully get to set it up sometime later this year...yes the guy who was a contractor for 20 years, did a ton of kitchens, sold countertop material for the last 20 years and set up a kitchen and bath showroom 3 years ago has made his wife wait over 20+ years to get HER kitchen remodeled...I know I should be beaten with a rake, kicked and whipped and then beat with a rake again...But if she doesn't kill me first the kitchen will get redone this year finally...God help me.

Just yesterday, my wife and I were discussing the idea of building an outdoor pizza oven. Actually, a whole cooking pit: grill, smokehouse and pizza oven. Well, we've been discussing it on and off for a few years, but she was a little more insistent this time. I love the idea, but man, it's a lot of work.

So, can you get another one of these ovens for $150??

...I guess it's a "what your used to" texture thing...Both the wife n I far prefer fresh mushrooms over canned mushrooms.

Well, sure, fresh is always better. But sometimes easier is, easier. Fresh dough would also be better than tortillas, but much more involved.

Back when I was a kid I worked in a pizza joint, New York style. We made an awesome Sicilian style, but very involved. Prepared in bulk. The fresh dough was made. We'd oil heavy square pans pretty liberally and spread the dough in the pans. Pan went into the warm area on top of the ovens. The dough would rise. The dough was then punched down with the tips of your fingers. A small thin layer of sauce was ladled on top. Into the oven it went until the dough was set, par cooked you might say. They were then put into large bags, one up, one (upside) down, one up, one down, etc etc. As they were ordered, back into the pan, cheese, toppings, more cheese, and a splash of sauce here and there...sauce on the top, not on the bottom. A little greasy, but man they were good, buttery.

I'd love to attempt to recreate the good ol' days by making one, but that's a lot of damn work for a pizza.

Back