Ollie's Trolley

Burgers, fries, dogs, chili.. They use a proprietary blend of unusual, savory spices (not hot).

lava.jpg

Its been a couple of months since I've been there. They have the BEST fries anywhere!!! I always ask for extra seasoning on the fries. There's a line around the place at lunch time.
We used to have about 8 or so around the metro area. This is the only one left. At one time, there was a "graveyard" of old Trolleys downtown near the Ohio River.

There is still an Ollies Trolley in Cincinnati, but they have expanded the menu far beyond what Ollies originally served. I don't know if their version of the Ollie Burger and Fries are true to the original.

So, were you in the area recently?

Not in the area. That menu I posted was a random one from the internet. I was recalling many excellent meals at the now defunct Trolley in Arlington, Va. which I frequented in the late 70s, early 80s. The flavor of their seasoning blend has haunted me ever since. From what I can gather, the few remaining Trolleys are privately owned and some have indeed expanded their menus. I believe the original recipe has been lost, or is privately held in secret with only a near-perfect version of it being distributed to the remaining Trolleys that still use it. Can't uncover the true story behind that.

The Louisville Trolley is spot on to the original recipe. I once read that there was a place that sold the spice blends. There were two, one for the burger, one for the fries. That was many years ago.

John Y Brown (who built KFCs franchise business) tried to do the same with Lums and Ollies.

You might check out this place. Its in Port Richey, Fla. If this guy managed Lums, he may well have the blend. Who knows, he might invite you over to eat some burgers if you drive there!

Ollieburger Spices USA, Inc. | Bringing Lums to back to Life

The Louisville Trolley is spot on to the original recipe. I once read that there was a place that sold the spice blends. There were two, one for the burger, one for the fries. That was many years ago.

John Y Brown (who built KFCs franchise business) tried to do the same with Lums and Ollies.

You might check out this place. Its in Port Richey, Fla. If this guy managed Lums, he may well have the blend. Who knows, he might invite you over to eat some burgers if you drive there!

Never heard of Ollies, but I used to LOVE Lums. I was sad to see them bite the dust.

Burgers, fries, dogs, chili.. They use a proprietary blend of unusual, savory spices (not hot).

I grew up on diner/luncheonette food...my family owned several of those types of establishments over the years when I was young.

I use to say that if I was ever asked what I wanted for my last meal...it would be a burger and fries! :D

Oh I love more fancier beef cuts too...but something about a good burger, smothered with onions and maybe some mushrooms, with a side of fries and a tall frosted root beer....mmm...that's something I don't think I would ever turn down.

One thing though...I'm not big on all the "secret recipe" stuff...where they load up the beef with all kinds of spices.
To me...good beef only needs some salt, pepper...and then onions on top, but even without the onions is fine. I like to taste the beef, not some spice mix.
That said...there are times when a subtle sprinkle of certain spices can be tasty if not overdone.

Same thing with hot food. I like it...but sometimes there is this desire to make it hotter than anything else, and at that point, after 1-2 bites, your taste buds are shot...so you don't even taste what you are eating anymore, it's just way too hot.

Same thing with hot food. I like it...but sometimes there is this desire to make it hotter than anything else, and at that point, after 1-2 bites, your taste buds are shot...so you don't even taste what you are eating anymore, it's just way too hot.

I'm guessing that I don't need to send you any of the ghost peppers growing on the patio... This year has been a particularly productive year. One pepper in a pot of chili is all the heat you need. No "spoonful of crushed red pepper" needed. I've got dried ghost peppers in a grinder. One quick twist will put a bit of heat to the pizza.

Thanks for that link! Every 3-4 years I scour the internet looking for Ollie's info I haven't come across yet. Heard there was an ex-manager supplying original recipe spices, but no contact details. Some reviewers stated it's not exactly the same, but very close because the ex-manager never had the recipe to work from, only prepackaged bags from the company, from which he's reconstructed based on experience and knowledge and experimentation. I guess the only thing to do is buy and try for myself.

I also understand some of the burger flavor is due to it's being deep fried like the fries. I don't use deep fryers so that is another factor.
___

I use habaneros for my salsa verde. I happily add at least 6 to each quart - put it on my eggs every morning. Less than that just doesn't work for me. That's as hot as I've tried. Looking forward to the reaper.. then the ghost..? (twice as hot!!!) :eek:

Never heard of Ollies, but I used to LOVE Lums. I was sad to see them bite the dust.
At some point Lums aquired Ollie's, but since I have never dined at a Lums after that I can't say if Ollie's foods survived the trip. Years earlier, my family used to eat at Lums and I would always order the hot dogs steamed in beer (Heineken, was it?).

I grew up on diner/luncheonette food...my family owned several of those types of establishments over the years when I was young.

...but something about a good burger, smothered with onions and maybe some mushrooms, with a side of fries and a tall frosted root beer....mmm...that's something I don't think I would ever turn down.

One thing though...I'm not big on all the "secret recipe" stuff...where they load up the beef with all kinds of spices.
To me...good beef only needs some salt, pepper...and then onions on top, but even without the onions is fine. I like to taste the beef, not some spice mix.

That said...there are times when a subtle sprinkle of certain spices can be tasty if not overdone....
We appreciate the same flavors in burgers. Looks like you may not go for Ollie's burgers or fries.. as your first bite will probably result in a WOW! What's that..!? But it's a good What's that!? Very prominent, but allows the beef to peek through.

We appreciate the same flavors in burgers. Looks like you may not go for Ollie's burgers or fries.. as your first bite will probably result in a WOW! What's that..!? But it's a good What's that!? Very prominent, but allows the beef to peek through.

My Mom use to like adding Montreal Seasoning to her steak...and I tried it, and for sure, there was that WOW!...but then after awhile I realized I was mostly tasting spice, rather than beef.

I'm the same way with baked potatoes. Some folks like to smother than with sour cream, chives, bacon, cheese, butter...etc...etc...and for sure, that can have a nice taste, but I do like the taste of plain potatoes, with just some salt on them...though like beef, some fired onions never upsets the taste too much. :)

Ollie's Trolly Ollieburger Seasoning Recipe..... Maybe? Found this for ya googlin...might have to try meself!

The actual recipe for Ollie Burgers is a carefully-guarded secret
(much like the ingredients of Coca-Cola or the herbs & spices of KFC.)
I first tasted this delectable hamburger in Louisville, when I was
visiting for a convention. I was so impressed by the taste that after
I got back home (to Oklahoma, which had not a single Ollie's Trolley
restaurant,) I mailed a letter to the Ollie's Trolley in downtown
Louisville asking for the recipe. They sent me a cheerful form-letter
which said that their recipe was their livelihood, and suggesting that
if I craved more Ollie Burgers, I might consider making frequent
repeat visits to Louisville!

Fortunately, enterprising cooks have devised a clever simulation. This
recipe comes from the Copycat/Restaurant Message Board at The Recipe
Link:

LUM'S OLLIE BURGER

Marinade:

3 T. lemon juice

1 1/2 t. seasoned salt

1 T. worcestershire

1 T. soy sauce

1 T. A-1 steak sauce

1 T. corn oil

1/2 c. canned beef broth

1 t. Heinz 57 sauce

1/4 t. garlic salt

1 t. vinegar

Mix the above ingredients. Take 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. of ground round and
shape meat into round patties, 3/4" thick and 3 1/2" round.

Place in a covered container and pour the marinade mixture over them.
Cover tightly and refrigerate 12 hours or overnight.

Turn the patties frequently. Remove from marinade and sear over high
heat to seal in the juices, then turn down heat and cook to your
desired doneness.

For more flavorful burgers, double the ingredients except the broth,
reduce it by half.

**I have a recipe that also adds this**
1 t. coarse ground pepper

Recipe Link: Ollie Burger Recipe
Recipelink.com - Find Lost Recipes - Cooking on the Net Since 1996

I have tried the recipe listed above, and it is superb. I recommend
including at least one teaspoon of ground black pepper. As the recipe
suggests, doubling all the ingredients (except the broth, which should
be halved) gives a more intense flavor, which is the way I like it.
Some children might find the doubled-ingredients burgers to be a bit
too spicy, but most adults just love 'em. I cook mine on the George
Foreman Grill, which sears in the flavor very nicely.

You may be interested to learn that there is still at least one
surviving Ollie's Trolley restaurant, in Louisville, Kentucky. Here's
a bit of information about it:

Last edited:
Years earlier, my family used to eat at Lums and I would always order the hot dogs steamed in beer (Heineken, was it?).

You think it was Heineken? I would have thought they would have used something cheaper. I don't even really like Heineken, but those dogs and kraut sure were good! And it didn't hurt that they had 130 beers to choose from.

You think it was Heineken? I would have thought they would have used something cheaper. I don't even really like Heineken, but those dogs and kraut sure were good! And it didn't hurt that they had 130 beers to choose from.

I was below drinking age in those days and always ate my dogs with nothing on them - just dog and steamed bun. Whatever flavor was imparted by the beer was very noticeable to me.

I'm thinking the beer was Heineken as I recall either reading it on a menu, or featured on some sort of promotion card at the table.. or being told by our waitress. I'm 98% sure I read it on their menu, but the waitress could have been the one - possibly telling us it was Heineken to impress us. Years later, when I was able to buy beer, I tried Heineken and it instantly reminded me of Lums' dogs.

Ollie's Trolly Ollieburger Seasoning Recipe..... Maybe? Found this for ya googlin...might have to try meself!

Fortunately, enterprising cooks have devised a clever simulation. This
recipe comes from the Copycat/Restaurant Message Board at The Recipe
Link:

I have tried the recipe listed above, and it is superb. I recommend
including at least one teaspoon of ground black pepper. As the recipe
suggests, doubling all the ingredients (except the broth, which should
be halved) gives a more intense flavor, which is the way I like it.
Some children might find the doubled-ingredients burgers to be a bit
too spicy, but most adults just love 'em. I cook mine on the George
Foreman Grill, which sears in the flavor very nicely.

If you think this recipe is superb, that's good enough for me;)

I believe there is at least one missing ingredient which is visually prominent in the fries' seasoning. I think it may also be in the burger recipe but never listed : My suggestion is Fennel Seed

Have you seen this mentioned anywhere?

I was below drinking age in those days and always ate my dogs with nothing on them - just dog and steamed bun. Whatever flavor was imparted by the beer was very noticeable to me.

I'm thinking the beer was Heineken as I recall either reading it on a menu, or featured on some sort of promotion card at the table.. or being told by our waitress. I'm 98% sure I read it on their menu, but the waitress could have been the one - possibly telling us it was Heineken to impress us. Years later, when I was able to buy beer, I tried Heineken and it instantly reminded me of Lums' dogs.

My first exposure to Lums was in Daytona and I had just turned 16 (but I looked older). The kraut was cooked in beer, too.

I'm not familiar with Ollie's, but I love places like that, secret recipe generationally passed down.

They deep fry their burgers?

The Ollies that I have been to don't deep fry them. The burgers are marinated, then popped on the griddle

If you guys keep talking Ollies, you KNOW I'm going to end up there before long. I've almost cleared out the leftovers for my lunches anyway, so Mon or Tues might be the day. The only problem is they are only open from 10 to 4 M-F. No chance to run down on a Saturday afternoon. Its strictly for the downtown lunch crowd.

Back