new music

i just ordered some cds from amazon, and was thinking of a little game we could play.

1. list the type(s) of music you're into

2. list the last 10 albums you've bought, listing them in order from favorite to least favorite.

here's mine:

1. progressive, metal, fusion.

2. meshuggah "obzen"
opeth "watershed"
the ocean "precambrian"
benea reach "alleviat"
neurosis "given to the rising"
behold the arctopus "skullgrid"

unrankable, since i just ordered them:

the ocean "aeolian"
at war with self "torn between dimensions"
intronaut "void"
collapsar "integers"

the object here is to hopefully get turned on to some music i wouldn't have found on my own. i'm always looking for something new.

GO!!!

You could go to an indie site and stream some music for free.

You're always welcome to go to mine. Hmmm, with your choice of genres, I'd have to say that fusion is as close as I come. I'm about as metal as tin foil.:D

But I do fuse harp, git, flute, bass, drums and organ together.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=466247

Listen to:
"End of Days"

"Low Down Dude"

"All There Is" use to be called Xeries. That one and "Get There" are nice spirituals that kind of rock.

They're free to stream, but if you want a CD, I could mail you one. Just pick a dozen songs out of the 55 that I park at Soundclick. A few are remixes, so call it 50 songs.

My favorites are kind of eclectic, like "Dogs On The Beach" and "Catwalking On Keys"

HTH

Last edited:
You could go to an indie site and stream some music for free.

You're always welcome to go to mine. Hmmm, with your choice of genres, I'd have to say that fusion is as close as I come. I'm about as metal as tin foil.:D

But I do fuse harp, git, flute, bass, drums and organ together.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=466247

Listen to:
"End of Days"

"Low Down Dude"

"All There Is" use to be called Xeries. That one and "Get There" are nice spirituals that kind of rock.

They're free to stream, but if you want a CD, I could mail you one. Just pick a dozen songs out of the 55 that I park at Soundclick. A few are remixes, so call it 50 songs.

My favorites are kind of eclectic, like "Dogs On The Beach" and "Catwalking On Keys"

HTH

thanks for the offer--iirc, i critiqued "get there" and "livin' one dollar at a time" in the clinic. really enjoyed the former, so i may take you up on your cd offer. i'll check your other songs out.

but...you didn't play the game!!! :D

Types of music I'm into:

guitar rock
classic rock
prog rock

Last ten titles I bought (I don't buy often, so this literally goes back a year or two):

Neal Morse - ? (That's the title: "?")
Eagles - Long Road out of Eden (double CD; does it count as two?)
Steve Vai - Real Illusions: Reflections
Buck Cherry - 15
Neal Morse - Sola Scriptura
John Petrucci & Jordan Rudess - An Evening With...
Dream Theatre - Score
Gary Hoey - The Best of Gary Hoey
Joe Satriani - Super Colossal
Led Zeppelin - How the West Was Won (5.1 remix of many Zep classics)
Erin Bode - The Little Garden (a jazzy break from my profile!)

Blues Rock
Industrial
Guitar Rock
Robin Trower-Best Of
Mother Love Bone- Apple
Todd Rundgren's Utopia
Tony MacAlpine-Edge Of Insanity
Ministry- Stigmata
Muddy Waters- Hard Again
Mahogany Rush- Strange Universe/Maxoom
Blue Oyster Cult- Agents Of Fortune
Alice In Chains- Dirt
KMFDM- Nihil
I seem to be firmly entrenched in about 1975 lol

OK here goes:

Classic Rock
Jazz Piano and Classical.
Big Sound Classic Drama Rock (Is that a genre?:confused:)

Stones "Sticky Fingers"
Cheryl Crow "Sessions" I think
Bill Adams "Sessions #1
Jimi Hendrix "Greatest Hits"
Brahms "Symphony #1)
Dave Mathews "Under a Table Dreaming"
Bach "The Brandenburg Concertos"
Beethoven "7th Symphony"
Aaron Copeland "That Theme About What's For Dinner, Beef?" "Appalachian Spring?"
Beethoven "Piano Concerto #1"
King Crimson "In The Court Of The Crimson King" Woops, that's 11:D

Classic Alt.
Early 90s Alt.
Alt. Country
Modern Indie

M83 ; Saturday = Youth (electronic with guitars / 80 ish sounding)

South San Gabriel ; The Carlton Cronicles (Alt. Country / Chill /Pedal Steel Guitars)

Torche ; Meanderthal (Low tuned guitars / awesome riffage / almost punkish vocals / no cookie monster vocals)

The National ; Boxer (Indie / low range vocals / well put together songs)

Classic Alt.
Early 90s Alt.
Alt. Country
Modern Indie

South San Gabriel ; The Carlton Cronicles (Alt. Country / Chill /Pedal Steel Guitars)

Torche ; Meanderthal (Low tuned guitars / awesome riffage / almost punkish vocals / no cookie monster vocals)

Thank you! Now I have a concise way to describe that kind of singing/screaming. (Probably old news to most, but I've never heard that phrase before; fits perfectly.)

Classic Alt.
Early 90s Alt.
Alt. Country
Modern Indie

torche is a good pick--i dig those dudes.

Folk/Rock/Indie

Bright Eyes - Cassadaga (just some very well written songs)
Bob Dylan - Modern Times (a collection of blues songs, nice to play in the background while drinking a coffee and reading a book)
The Band - The Collection
The National - Boxer
Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger (NOT Bryan Adams. Some darn good songwriting)
The Felice Brothers - Tonight at the Arizona (a study of solid americana songs)
Wilco - Sky Blue Sky (very warm sounding, reminiscent of grateful dead)
Bruce Springsteen - Magic (very good comeback, mix is kind of "wall of sound" - ish)
The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible (I can only describe it as "interesting". Kind of bowie-ish at times, lots of reverb, recorded in a slew of old churches mostly in Budapest, Hungary)
Blitzen Trapper - Wild Mountain Nation (an interesting blend of country, rock, and certiain kinds of electronic elements)
The Wheat Pool - Township (ass kicking alternative country rock. Reminiscent of early Wilco with more zing to it).

My reccomendation if you want to try something new, The Arcade Fires "Neon Bible" or Wilcos "Sky blue sky". In fact, if you are interested I can send you a copy of either cd (burned, but no worries, I have the originals, I dont donwload) all for the sake of spreading around new music.

Mike

1. Types of music

Metal (Death, Black, Extreme, Progressive), Prog, Industrial, Skacore, Trip Hop, Classical, 'Classic' rock

2. Last 10 CD's I bought (despite normally buying buttloads of CD's all the time, money has been short, so this is about a years worth).

The Black Dahlia Murder - Nocturnal
Dimmu Borgir - In Sortie Diaboli
Turisas - Battle Metal
Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrants
Dream Theater - Train of Thought
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
Portishead - Dummy
Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
Darkane - Expanding Senses
Devildriver -The Last Kind Words

Also a special mention has to go to Neuraxis' Trilateral Progression CD. Even though it's not one of my last 10 albums, I fucking love that album, and highly recommend it to any fans of prgressive/extreme metal. It will tear your face off.

My next purchases will be

Opeth - Watershed
Opeth - Blackwater Park (yes, I should have bought this a long time ago)
Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I-IV
Scars On Broadway
Children of Bodom - Blooddrunk
Darkest Hour - Deliver Us

Bright Eyes - Cassadaga (just some very well written songs)

Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger (NOT Bryan Adams. Some darn good songwriting)

Both Bright Eyes and Ryan Adams are fucking great. Have whole discographies by either.

Alright my picks.

Types of Music
Deathcore, metalcore, post-hardcore (yeah I love cookie monster vocals :rolleyes: :cool: )
Other than that - rock (vintage, southern), pop, punk, rap, techno, indie & country.

Last 10 albums I've acquired, not necessarily bought

August Burns Red - Messengers
August Burns Red - Thrill Seeker
From Autumn To Ashes - Holding A Wolf By The Ears
Bullet For My Valentine - Scream, Aim, Fire
Coheed & Cambria - No World For Tomorrow
Moby - Ambient
One True Thing - Finally
Bring Me The Horizon - Count Your Blessings
Avril Lavigne - Best Damn Thing
Simple Plan - self-titled

I tend to have ecclectic taste in music, and prefer those artists a little further from the mainstream, but it must have good guitar music or fahgedaboudit. So here's a playlist, no particular order listed as:

Artist/Song Tiltle/Album

1) Griffin House/The Guy That Says Goodbye to You is Out of His Mind/Homecoming
2) The Devil Makes Three/Ten Feet Tall/The Devil Makes Three
3) Ray Bonneville/Reckless Feeling/Goin' By Feel
4) Bryan Ferry/If Not for You/Dylanesque
5) The Pines/Goin' Home/Sparrows in the Bell
6) Lynn Miles/Flames of Love/Love Sweet Love
7) Junior Brown/I Hung it Up/Live at the Continental Club
8) Joshua James/FM Radio/The Sun is Always Brighter
9) Greg Brown/Mose Alison Played Here/Slant 6 Mind
10) Peita Brown/Pass You By/Pieta Brown (daughter of #9)

If I had to go on a long car trip and had to listen to someone's i-pod from this thread it would be... drum roll please... ahem...

Nightfire

Good variety of some new, some old. Kinda fun

Strat, you're my first alternate.

This thread was a good idea, if for no other reason than to check out some new names, and see what those who record like to listen to.

Keep 'em coming.

You're right zero, this thread was a great idea. Nice job, drossfile.

If I had to take one of these playlists on a long roadtrip (that's a good way to think about it BTW) I'd take yours, zero. Why? I gotta admit--I don't know much of any of it--but your description combined with the titles makes me want to hear it.

Legionserial--even though your list is the only one with anything in common with mine (the Dream Theater titles--Systemic Chaos belonged on my list too), the rest of your list frightens me. I think I might need a hug from my mom if I listened to that stuff...

Seriously--legionserial, take something extreme/heavy (if you can find anything among all that easy listening) from your list and recommend it to me so I can broaden my horizons. I'm obviously a guitar freak and I like real vocals (cookie monster does nothing for me). Thanks.

Seriously--legionserial, take something extreme/heavy (if you can find anything among all that easy listening) from your list and recommend it to me so I can broaden my horizons. I'm obviously a guitar freak and I like real vocals (cookie monster does nothing for me). Thanks.

Black Dahlia Murder is definately one of those bands.

You don't actually have to get their CDs before you even figure out if you're gonna like them. There's always the magic realm of youtube!

The Black Dahlia Murder - Funeral Thirst
https://youtube.com/watch?v=JBHNiebX2Mo

They're cool, but not my personal favorite.

Here're some of my favorite extreme/heavy stuff -

august burns red-your little suburbia is in ruins
https://youtube.com/watch?v=3yvXqXIv-rs

From Autumn to Ashes "The After Dinner Payback"
https://youtube.com/watch?v=DqJIdu7jv3M

Bullet For My Valentine - Waking The Demon
https://youtube.com/watch?v=aYGQjYi2A30

The Used - Sound Effects and Overdramatics
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ud4bj_SB2PA

Bring me the Horizon - Pray for Plagues
https://youtube.com/watch?v=AWggPLXeOkU

Glassjaw - Siberian Kiss
https://youtube.com/watch?v=CkMXBx9e1_U
^ that's one of my all-time favorite bands dude. VERY Fucked up shit, but I just love it

Last edited:
whitestrat, if you're thinking super-heavy and want something really progressive, you really should look into meshuggah. their newest (obzen) is their best. they're whole premise is polymeter, and it's the best i've ever heard. super-aggressively brutal, but extrememly artful. one of my closest friends has a jazz/fusion collection that's just ridiculous, but he's really gotten into meshuggah, as well as a few other metal bands i'm into.

opeth mixes melodic death metal with folky acoustic guitars. "blackwater park" is widely hailed as their masterwork, but i prefer "deliverance" (which is their heaviest).

and if you're thinking doom metal, check "hope" by swallow the sun. i'm not typically a doom fan, but this album is really incredible. beautiful, haunting, oppressive, and HEAVY.

black dahlia murder, rwake, and the red chord would also be good options for something intense, heavy, brutal, and even a tiny bit proggy.

Mish,

Thanks for taking the time to post all those links. I'm making notes as I listen (watch):

Black Dahlia Murder, August Burns Red, From Autumn to Ashes--Liked the music on all of 'em (especially) Black Dahlia Murder--but I just can't get past the cookie monster vox. (As a guitarist, I'd be mad if my singer got the same cut as me for doing that! :D)

Bullet for My Valentine: We have a winner! This rocks (and the vox have a melody, I'll be darned!) Great doubled lines (guits and vox) and not a bad video either.

The Used: Interesting mix of real singing and screamo. Still too much screamo for me though.

BMTH: Love the guitar. Pure screamo though.

Glassjaw: Again too much cookie monster.

Thanks though, I'm learning.

Yeah meshuggah are cool. They're kind of "slow-heavy" , kinda like Ozzy's Ozzmozis was in it's time. I prefer my music alil more chaotic, with dissonance rather than breakdowns.

Back