Need to vent.

CrowsofFritz

Flamingo!
So today I walked in one of my local guitar shops to try out a couple of acoustics and classicals. There was a man and his two kids (probably between 5-9) running around the shop. When I picked out a guitar and sat down, I noticed the father gave each of his kids a (pretty expensive) guitar while he was browsing around himself. And plugged them in to some amps (uh oh). There were new strings on the guitar I was trying out, so I had to tune them. No biggie? Wrong. The kids were just open-string strumming these fucking out of tune guitars at volume ten distortion! Just non stop! Every time the note was starting to fade and go out, the kids would make sure that the strings were still vibrating. :mad: This went on for the whole thirty minutes I was in the damn shop. I left with a headache, ears ringing, and unable to hear the guitars I tried out at all. But what really crawls under my skin is when the father finally bought his item (I think he spent 30 mins. searching for a fucking strap!) He wen't to his kid and said: "Okay son time to go" and then one of the employees came up and said to the kid "Did you have fun?" As if the guitars were like toys...

:cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

I should have said something. It's like people are afraid to challenge anyone anymore. It used to be when someone had a misbehaved child, or a crying baby in a restaurant, movie, play, etc. They would take them outside and calm them down. But now many just let everyone have a crappy experience.

But, man, that sucks. I totally get the whole thing of kids being kids, but some people don't teach their kids to be well behaved.
Sure, guitars are fun, but calm your shit padre and don't let them plug into an amp :eek:
Back in the day when my young cousins used to come around they had a habit of just open strumming, or slapping random drums. It's not even limited to kids though. This one mutual friend with someone I knew used to come over and just fuck with my hi- hats EVERY SINGLE TIME.

And knew nothing about drums.

I mean, even before I started listening to music when I was young and would see an instrument at school or wherever, yeah I wanted to go put my hands all over it jerry sandusky style, but I was just too shy (and my parents did a good job of teaching me right and wrong) so I just stared and dreamed.

But as they say, good things come to those who wait :D

A while back when I was looking at cars I saw this guys with his 3 kids there.
While he was looking... THEY WERE CLIMBING ALL OVER THIS ROW OF CARS :eek:

WTF?!

Yeah people just need to control their kids and themselves in general. Nothing pisses me off more than when I'm at a gig or church and some random friend just walks up and picks up my guitar and starts to play it. One time one of these "friends" (who barely knew 3 chords, btw) was trying to get my Larrivee acoustic out of its case when I wasn't there. He let the top of the case fall down, one of those metal locking parts on the case scratched the guitar right near the soundhole, and then the thing snapped the high-E string. To top it all off, I wasn't even there. I was in high school at the time and had paid $700 for the guitar (saved for 2 years lol), so needless to say I was beyond furious. I think that was the event that made me hate when people don't ask and just start playing instead.

The music store here has signs posted for everyone - kids and adults alike. "If you would like to handle a guitar, please ask for assistance."

They also have a sign that says "Playing Stairway To Heaven is expressly forbidden."

Next time...grab one of the employees and ask him to tell the father/kids to chill out a bit, as other people are also trying to sample gear.

That's what I would do, that way you don't get directly invovled...or on the other hand, if you prefer, just tell the father.
If that didn't work...I would go to the biggest stack, power it up and proceed to blow their asses away with some dimed chords/leads. :)

sorry for taking it to, too serious of a levell..but speaking of friends grabing guitars without asking..

many years ago, I had got a call, walked into another room to talk for a minute, and found out that my drummer had been killed in a car accident..i came back into the room where my guitar and amp was setup, and a friend of mine who absolutly does NOT play at all..knows ZERO about playing, was just hammering on the strings wide open and basically slamming the whammy bar up and down..he somehow managed to locate the volume knob on my amp, and had it cranked up pretty good too....
even if not for the call..I still would have blown a fuse..but it was especially bad timming let me tell ya..i snatched it out of his hands, and went off the deep end..he never even looked at my guitar again..
Anyway, yeah, that`s just whacked when a guy lets his kids make a bunch of obnoxious racket when someone is trying out an instrument..I mean, I realize there`s gonna be noise going on at a music store..but from what you described, that`s defiantly out of line..

Crowsoffitz,

Please vent away!!!

Nothing gets under my skin more than obnoxious children and distracted parents. I cannot tell you the many times children have ruined my experience at restaurants and retail chains. I just do not understand who in the world lets their kids just go and do whatever they want. I was raised to respect other's property and ask for assistance before touching something I knew very little about. Heck even now as I stand at 28 I often still ask before proceeding with handling something. It is just COMMON sense. Just this past Friday my fiance and some friends went out for a nice dinner. We had not been out in awhile. We visited this nice Mexican restaurant and unfortunately had to sit at the bar area because of the wait. No biggie, we actually got service pretty quickly and I got to watch my love enjoy a Pina Colada :drunk:.

Nevertheless we are sitting there conversing about music and life when all of a sudden my booth seat is slung forward by 6 kids that were sat behind us and there parents took a seat across from their table at a high rise table. Well the whole night was filled with yelling, screaming and just loud shrieks of that's mine and no you didn't. I wanted to turn around and yell Shut The Hell Up!!! I just glanced over at the parents and they were busy drinking up a storm and talking sports at an absurd loud level.

Oh well guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree now does it. I could never understand why you would let your children and yourself run rampant.

To the manager: "I hope the strap that guy just bought covers the damage to the guitars his kids were playing with. I was going to buy a guitar but I want one that hasn't got damage and snotty hand prints from some poser's kids. Fortunately you competitor down the street only lets serious musicians touch their guitars. I'll just go there."

I love it!

They should get "long haired freaky people need not apply" just to complete the set.

I wonder how many here know the reference...

After about 5 minutes, I think I would have given the store personnel my phone number and said, "Please call me when things settle down, here," and left. If they didn't call, it would be their loss.

I wonder how many here know the reference...

After about 5 minutes, I think I would have given the store personnel my phone number and said, "Please call me when things settle down, here," and left. If they didn't call, it would be their loss.

signs...

Back