My Corona

Status
Not open for further replies.
nothing too big going on around here. Slow slow turn on of some weird reality post a pandemic.

the economy and the virus. my personal info to the hospitals is the tests aren't 100% reliable, and obviously probably 90% aren't even tested or know with any certainty anything than a guess.

the hospital downtown are laying off thousands of nurses in other non-critical areas, due to the virus & rules...and psychology effect.

the financials seem to be based on psychology and whatever spin the writers writes, or is paid to write.

I think the term is "25% open! with safe rules!" but no one is enforcing anything, so its a mix match of people wearing masks and others not.

my family in the small rural places haven't had any deaths or cases , of course no one is being tested either. ..and again, the tests are not consistent, so what do the numbers really mean with inconsistent results?

the State is doing budgets and who knows whats going to happen in the next 3 months? or 6 months.

be safe, good hygiene stay away from coughing germ fest slobs as usual, or maybe even more so?

You know guys, I don't think we're making any progress here.

You believe what you want to believe. It's what you're going to do anyway, as am I.

My problem is that, if you go out into a social situation without proper precautions, it's not your life that you're risking, however small that risk is.

And to me, risking someone else's life should be unacceptable in a civilized society, just like drunk driving.

But, like I said, we're obviously not going to make any headway towards a solution here.

My problem is that, if you go out into a social situation without proper precautions, it's not your life that you're risking, however small that risk is.

And to me, risking someone else's life should be unacceptable in a civilized society, just like drunk driving.

OK...but what is it that you think should be done to eliminate the risk...AND also be able to go out, do some socializing, but more importantly, live your life with some sense of normalcy, by doing things that make life worth living...?

The rest below, I'm not directing just at you...but simply using your concerns to voice my own perspective on the situation.

Right now, the accepted precautions are pretty simple...masks, some distancing, and most important, washing your hands before touching your face, because in the end, you want to worry about protecting yourself as much, if not more, than just protecting others.

TBH...I think the masks and the distancing are pointless to a good degree, especially the masks, because 95% of the masks people are wearing, are not going to stop you from inhaling virus particles or exhaling them. It's all just a placebo effect to make people feel safe.
AFA the distancing, OK, we can do that without the in-your-face kind of thing, and I think most people prefer at least that 3' personal space thing anyway when it comes to being in public, even without the virus.

That said...AFA the virus, considering the size of the population, and the numbers of infected...unless you are living in known hot zones, assuming that everyone around you is carrying the virus, is more about fear than reality. You might as well carry a bag of test kits with you, and check yourself every day...if you can find tests that are 100% accurate and will give you an immediate result.

I mean...if you're going to assume that any time you go out in public you're getting infected...and so that means no matter how you feel, you're always passing the virus to others...well then, let's just all do 100% quarantine for the next 2 years...which is impossible to do, and survive. Heck, two months of this shutdown stuff, and we are already on the brink of economic collapse...never mined the mental health aspect of being isolated...so forget the 100% quarantine for a year or more until all traces of the virus are gone or being cured.

So...with the "drunk driver" analogy...we live with and accept lots of risk every day, without even counting this virus...and TBH, most of the time we don't even give it a second thought, we just get on with life.
If you considered that there a potential drunk driver out there that can kill you any time you go out on the roads...you would never leave.

I'm know I'm not sick or infected...simply because I've always practiced a high-level of social hygiene, so I'm not infecting anyone...if anything, I'm more concerned about someone infecting me, because I've seen how poorly many people practice good, social hygiene...but then, because I do practice it, I'm not even worried all that much about getting infected.

Last edited:
risking someone else's life should be unacceptable in a civilized society, just like drunk driving.

But, like I said, we're obviously not going to make any headway towards a solution here.

Ya, don't do anything half way. Keep it fair. Legalize drinking and driving, but make them wear a mask.

The ones that don't get sick you hit with the car.

problem solved.

Ya, don't do anything half way. Keep it fair. Legalize drinking and driving, but make them wear a mask.

The ones that don't get sick you hit with the car.

problem solved.

Sorta like an every day "Purge" episode. :D

History shows that in recent years we already socialize much less than in the past...which is not really normal for humans.
We can't let this virus create permanent barriers to interaction...we can't accept some kind of prophylactic for everything in our lives, just so we can feel safe all the time....because it will kill us as a race in a different way. Virtual reality is an oxymoron...there is no such thing, it's just the modern way to describe isolation FROM reality.

It seems there are pretty much two schools of thought here.
A)Those who are sufficiently scared of this virus and feel these draconian lockdown measures are warranted, or are not enough.
B) Those who feel that the virus isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be, and that the lockdown measures and the efforts to contain it are causing more damage than the virus itself.

Let’s take two places, both very densely populated..... New York City and Japan.

Japan immediately closed it’s borders but did not lockdown like the west. It had a very low death rate. People in Japan are not very touchy feely and practice very good hygiene

New York...very high death rate. Varying degrees of hygiene from disgusting to germ phobic OCD. The city is filthy compared to Japan. Subway and trains could be mistaken for a third world country.
But the lockdown was hard core and still didn’t deliver low numbers like Japan.

That seems to indicate the lockdowns aren’t effective but hygiene is.

Just a thought :)

Im reading that all the bars are reopening around here. Theres no masks, obviously for drinking alcohol, though some masks are worn by a small minority and maybe the bouncers/club workers.
Lets face it , theres not going to be much distancing either. Bars are the last place to be opened. The crowd age of 25-35 have been told they are not the critical age for this Wuhan Flu. Maybe the bars didn't need to close at all? Nothing makes much sense yet.

I asked myself "would I go back to the bars?" and I dont think so, not yet.
I'll wait and watch if the hospitals see another spike in the ICU.
As an old stogie...I don't require the bar-scene meat market blaring music anymore.

Major Hospital downtown has 18 beds being used in the ICU, with 100 now setup for CV19.
Another major Texas hospital chain is laying off thousands due to the over-spending and over-reacting to the CV19 that didn't happen or due to economy shutdown. Thousands let go, but its 3% - 5% of the total employees.

"recession is when your neighbor is laid off, a depression is when you get laid off"- unknown

Maybe the government should put out one of them executive orders that all vehicles must be equipped with breathalyzer ignition systems to greatly reduce drunk driving deaths? Don't take it personal, it's not about you, it's about saving lives. A symbol you're down with the community at large for a good cause. Conformity, Submission. To resist, selfishness, clearly you just want other people to die.

Maybe the government should put out one of them executive orders that all vehicles must be equipped with breathalyzer ignition systems to greatly reduce drunk driving deaths? Don't take it personal, it's not about you, it's about saving lives. A symbol you're down with the community at large for a good cause. Conformity, Submission. To resist, selfishness, clearly you just want other people to die.

Well, I wouldn't have a problem with that. How many people are going to stand up and say they are for repealing teh laws against drunk driving? They've cracked down on that in recent years and as a result, drunk driving deaths are way down. Now, it's people looking at their phones, and more people who are high.

In case it wasn't apparent, sarcasm.

It is one thing when the government says you cannot do something. Things get a bit more sketchy when the government starts telling you things you must do, ordering you. I don't mean things like get a driver's license before driving, building permit before building. I'm talking about things like, stay home, keep your distance from other people, wear a mask or you cannot go to the store to buy a loaf of bread. I've read that roughly 50% of folks would not get the vaccine if one was found. What's next, strongly advised by the government to get the vaccine, or your movements will be restricted, can't enter a business to buy a loaf of bread? If you starve, you starve? Afterall, it's not about you. It's about community, conformity. Submission to a greater cause.

Personally, I don't fuckin' buy it. That kind of thinking resulted in millions of deaths in the 20th century. Today is day 1 here in Virginia of an "executive order" that you must wear a mask to go into any business, until further notice. I ain't diggin' it. Can't say for sure, but I almost suspect it is being forced upon us so in the future when there is no so called second wave we've been warned of the government can take credit for its prevention.

Fauci has been quoted as saying masks are largely ineffective and symbolic. Mm hm, symbolic of what?

Reactions: RFR
The legislature legislates. In other words they pass laws.
Every year thousands of new laws are passed.

They do one of two things
A) Make something that was previously legal now illegal so we cannot do something we used to be able to do.

B) Make a law forcing us to do something we previously didn’t have to.

Geez. And they still call this a free country??

Last edited:
Free country? To a certain degree, this country does remain a free country, in spite of the fact that as I write this......stupid.....uneducated people have been torching and looting the city's they live in. I saw a woman outside of the Target store in Minneapolis encouraging her husband/boyfriend or son to dash out as quickly as possible when he was holding a 50" flat screen tv that he was shouldering after having looted the Target store. And tonight......protests and violence are occurring in other cities.

In all seriousness, I have to call into question, how it is that people protest, loot, and burn the city's they live in. To what end?

In all seriousness, I have to call into question, how it is that people protest, loot, and burn the city's they live in. To what end?

That's what rioter always do...destroy their own neighborhoods.
The part I like...is that "social distancing" has been abandoned...but they all still wear masks so they can't be identified when they are seen walking out with that flat screen.
This is not about protest...it's just an excuse to cause destruction. Many are the same that run with the gangs. You think they really care about Floyd...?

Free country? To a certain degree, this country does remain a free country, in spite of the fact that as I write this......stupid.....uneducated people have been torching and looting the city's they live in. I saw a woman outside of the Target store in Minneapolis encouraging her husband/boyfriend or son to dash out as quickly as possible when he was holding a 50" flat screen tv that he was shouldering after having looted the Target store. And tonight......protests and violence are occurring in other cities.

Other’s opinions may differ, but I think what happened to Floyd was a travesty. A crime that needs to be punished, and those involved should be made an example of to discourage other police from acting that way.

Now the looters & rioters...... that’s even worse.

However, in some ways they’re acting just like our governments are acting with the covid.

The “cure” is worse than the disease.

In their alleged, stated mission of getting justice, it’s turned into massive destruction.

Both they (rioters) and the governments are completely insane and destructive.

But in all fairness to the peaceful protesters, There’s the possibility that some agent provocateurs in the crowds helped the insanity along. It’s happened before, and an angry crowd is easy to agitate into an escalation of violence Crowds can get crazy all on their own though. I learned in LA to stay away from the Raiders crowd. Those fools would riot when the raiders lost and sometimes even when they won. Crazy

With the current riots, you never know the whole picture...... but I'm sure there’s more to the story than we know.

There’s an old Italian saying.... “The fish rots from the head down.”

Edit: Damn!!!! This shit is spreading and getting crazy. In part I blame the rap culture which glorifies “ gangsta thug life”. I also blame the lockdowns making some people insane.

This is a powder keg and the fuse was just lit.

I sure hope it stops soon. Bad enough with the covid lockdowns, but now it could develop into full blown Marshal law.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back