My Corona

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's difficult to say. We seem to be doing comparatively ok, mainly, I think, because of our low population density and geographic separation.

However, air travel and cruise ships have been troublesome. Interstate travel is banned, as are a whole heap of other things, such as public gatherings, restaurants, bars etc where people congregate.

Here are Australia's daily cases:

Australia Coronavirus: 3,969 Cases and 16 Deaths - Worldometer

Higher population density=faster infection rate. US average infection rate numbers are colored by those of high pop density areas, when those numbers are removed the results differ.

I know.......I always have the option of not reading this thread......but does anyone really think it's leading anywhere or helping anyone? It's interesting to learn about some of the people here and how they actually think. I understand the reasonable views that all sides are making. This thread is now all about who backs down first. The human need for validation and stature is overwhelmingly strong and a part of most peoples personality. Ok.....that stuff comes from my wife who....as some of you know......is a Clinical Psychologist. She's read this thread. She may not be correct.... but......she's pretty good at her job.

My point is...you're NOT staying in, are you?
Today Trump said there is a possibility about putting some areas of NY under quarantine...and Cuomo replied he didn't think you could do that. So my point is that our hide-in-place approach is not like a true quarantine, where you know 100% you are mitigating the spread.

Gotchya...Yes we do go out for essentials and do our best when we are out to avoid other humans as best we can..use wipes when we get back to the car and wash our hands when we get home. But you're right it's not sitting at home with security tape on the door waiting for the officials to bring us our essentials.
Fact remains by doing what we are doing much less social interaction than normal we certainly are lowering the risk of us getting it and spreading it exponentially by however much we don't go out or didn't take precautions. Everything we can do to reduce the odds helps a little more than doing nothing at all ...of course there is that old AA saying "Half measures availed us nothing"... with us 12 weeks into knowing this bug exist and the tracking worldwide of the stats, it is already very clear the stronger the restrictions, the more severe the isolation, the lower the amount cases and deaths. For certain if Sweden and Brazil are foolish enough to go at this with even less aggressive measures than the U.S. (which is certainly not on par with China or South Koreas efforts) based on what we are seeing statistically they will end up with many more cases per capita than the U.S. has....which is already embarrassingly higher than countries that went at this more aggressively / took it more seriously sooner.. On that I'll bet ya a socially distanced lunch.

......but does anyone really think it's leading anywhere or helping anyone?

yes.
1. Slows the spread to others
2. keeps myself out of the hospital
3, reduces the stress on the hospitals
4. the $1200 gov check will pay off my Gear card 100% with much left over.

Im kind of Pro-Choice in about everything though and think if people want to roam around and "tough guy" it out and be the rebel that sees the New Order Rules, as some imposing dictatorship like thing, then go ahead...and sit in a bar or a restaurant and cough on each other....with others of the same belief religion... . ..and legalize weed.:D

but the Rules are made by those that wanted to be the King and so they get to make the rules , Other wanna be kings who didn't get the job can revolt or throw things in protest....but for now, I think the elected leaders are basing the decision off the Medical Experts which seems to be hyped by the media...so I suggest going to the CDC web page directly.

Texas is great, the State Governor follows the Presidents order adding his own twist, then allows the Counties to make their own tweaks to the rules. One blurry definition is the term "essential".....I noticed being out yesterday to get medicine, the Oil Change place was open with a dude walking around on the sidewalk with a large sign $20 off Oil Changes....so someone deemed that job Essential.

Then I thought I'd zip to a CVS store and get some medicines over the counter and chips and saw the Hamburger drive-thru open, and got inline, at the window I noticed the kids wearing gloves, handing out food and touching the credit cards. I immediately pulled over and wiped everything down which is something I don't do in normal times. I wondered do we really need Drive-Thru's open? or maybe its really on me to make that decision to go there or not? am I risking my health by going thru the drive-thru, risking life over a hamburger? and who made the decision the Drive-Thru window teenagers job is "essential"? Are hamburgers essential?I heard in Colorado the weed stores are still open because someone deemed them "essential" too.
Who determines what essential means?

For now Trump is the rule maker and he says April 12!! everyone will start going back to normal and the virus-crisis will go away then. Biden, who looks like he just had a bad face lift or stroke, will take the opposite side of anything Trump does. The middle party, is the invisible man who uses sign language to talk so no one hears him.

The unemployed getting an extra $600 a week with unemployment is the Gov when it works. My sons friends are getting hit the worst, low pay 36hr a week jobs...(36hr so the company doesn't have to pay for medical coverage)…..and they are all furloughed unless they have a drive -thru....then they are essential...I think? .,,,never mind..

Attachments

• maharishi love.png
    maharishi love.png
    897 KB · Views: 1
I wondered do we really need Drive-Thru's open? or maybe its really on me to make that decision to go there or not? am I risking my health by going thru the drive-thru, risking life over a hamburger? and who made the decision the Drive-Thru window teenagers job is "essential"? Are hamburgers essential?I heard in Colorado the weed stores are still open because someone deemed them "essential" too. Who determines what essential means?

LOL yeah I am really have a hard time with take out and we do a lot of take out normally probably at least 10 times a week...last week twice and both times I cringed through the whole ordeal..

First was a subway tuna sandwich the wife and I split...oh dam as I bit into that cold sandwich crawling with covid-19 :eek:

Held off until a few nights ago and went and picked up a chile releno burrito to split with the wife...now it was warm so maybe less...but I know it was still crawling with them bugs...:cursing:

Really trying not to do take out for the next few weeks and we have a ton of hot pot dehydrated stuff , canned goods , cereal just going to try and avoid the cringe worthy take outs at this time...

BTW I'll take your picture of the Stones with the Marharishi and raise you one with Eddie and Dave getting their munch down at Mickey D's whilst on tour somewhere where it was cold and snowing back in 79....Their faces are exactly how I felt eating that take out this week....

Mickey V's.jpg

yes.
1. Slows the spread to others
2. keeps myself out of the hospital
3, reduces the stress on the hospitals
4. the $1200 gov check will pay off my Gear card 100% with much left over.

Im kind of Pro-Choice in about everything though and think if people want to roam around and "tough guy" it out and be the rebel that sees the New Order Rules, as some imposing dictatorship like thing, then go ahead...and sit in a bar or a restaurant and cough on each other....with others of the same belief religion... . ..and legalize weed.:D

but the Rules are made by those that wanted to be the King and so they get to make the rules , Other wanna be kings who didn't get the job can revolt or throw things in protest....but for now, I think the elected leaders are basing the decision off the Medical Experts which seems to be hyped by the media...so I suggest going to the CDC web page directly.

Texas is great, the State Governor follows the Presidents order adding his own twist, then allows the Counties to make their own tweaks to the rules. One blurry definition is the term "essential".....I noticed being out yesterday to get medicine, the Oil Change place was open with a dude walking around on the sidewalk with a large sign $20 off Oil Changes....so someone deemed that job Essential.

Then I thought I'd zip to a CVS store and get some medicines over the counter and chips and saw the Hamburger drive-thru open, and got inline, at the window I noticed the kids wearing gloves, handing out food and touching the credit cards. I immediately pulled over and wiped everything down which is something I don't do in normal times. I wondered do we really need Drive-Thru's open? or maybe its really on me to make that decision to go there or not? am I risking my health by going thru the drive-thru, risking life over a hamburger? and who made the decision the Drive-Thru window teenagers job is "essential"? Are hamburgers essential?I heard in Colorado the weed stores are still open because someone deemed them "essential" too.
Who determines what essential means?

For now Trump is the rule maker and he says April 12!! everyone will start going back to normal and the virus-crisis will go away then. Biden, who looks like he just had a bad face lift or stroke, will take the opposite side of anything Trump does. The middle party, is the invisible man who uses sign language to talk so no one hears him.

The unemployed getting an extra $600 a week with unemployment is the Gov when it works. My sons friends are getting hit the worst, low pay 36hr a week jobs...(36hr so the company doesn't have to pay for medical coverage)…..and they are all furloughed unless they have a drive -thru....then they are essential...I think? .,,,never mind..

Hey CoolCat......I think you may have misunderstood my post. I was trying to ask if THIS THREAD was actually leading anywhere or helping anyone. I wasn't making a comment on any current policy or rules or politics or viewpoints or the like.

A claim that's seems somewhat heroic based on the graph of daily cases in here:

United States Coronavirus: 123,781 Cases and 2,229 Deaths - Worldometer

Well...even our governor has stated that the daily doubling rate seems to have slowed...so I don't know if that too is a heroic claim...mostly just looking at the daily numbers of a week ago compared to the last 3 days.
Number of infected increases, but it seems to be leveling off each day VS doubling each day...but like I said, this next week will tell if that's a momentary thing or the top of the curve.

Hey CoolCat......I think you may have misunderstood my post. I was trying to ask if THIS THREAD was actually leading anywhere or helping anyone. I wasn't making a comment on any current policy or rules or politics or viewpoints or the like.

Over the years...most threads at HR (and other web forums) never lead to anything...just a lot of banter....but then, that IS what forums are meant for, and not a place to come to global conclusions...explain that to your wife. ;)
It's something to do...back in the day, women would stop at the fence line while hanging clothes to dry, and they would chat and gossip....while the men went to the pub to raise a few points and talk about stuff.

So from her Clinical Psychologist perspective...what does she think we should be doing in the thread that would be more productive...that would actually help the virus situation?
I'm also curious...does she believe we should be hunkered down with this hide-in-place mentality until the government tells us it's OK to come out...or does she lean more toward a relaxed approach...which are the two main topics in this thread...?

Naa...irony has nothing to do with it...it's called shut-in boredom...
...although in my case, I've been relatively shut in for months already because of my construction, so the web and the forums are the main source of interaction and entertainment.

Over the years...most threads at HR (and other web forums) never lead to anything...just a lot of banter....but then, that IS what forums are meant for, and not a place to come to global conclusions...explain that to your wife. ;)
It's something to do...back in the day, women would stop at the fence line while hanging clothes to dry, and they would chat and gossip....while the men went to the pub to raise a few points and talk about stuff.

So from her Clinical Psychologist perspective...what does she think we should be doing in the thread that would be more productive...that would actually help the virus situation?
I'm also curious...does she believe we should be hunkered down with this hide-in-place mentality until the government tells us it's OK to come out...or does she lean more toward a relaxed approach...which are the two main topics in this thread...?

Miro....

My answer: I think lots of threads here come to conclusions and help lots of people get to concrete answers. But I love the long conversations about this and that too.

Her answers: She has no idea what a conversation / thread would look like that would solve any of the questions and issues raised. That's over her pay grade. She gets that this is an over the fence conversation between friends.

She thinks that there's going to be a point in time.......based on economic circumstance and the progress of the virus.......where getting back to normal is absolutely critical and there should be no objections by anyone when that time comes. She warns that people will fight that when there's no longer a need. She doesn't think the time is now. She does think there's a lot of un-needed hand wringing over the virus......and the worries about the economy are also over hyped by people that hate to be controlled in any way. By that she means that those with the LOUDEST cries over the shutdown mandate are likely more about being controlled than about actual $$$. When people bring up the big brother thing........that's what she's pointing out. She thinks that BOTH sides have legit worries and fears that shouldn't be dismissed or demeaned by anyone. That said.........she doesn't want to be a part of our group conversation. Ouch....can't blame her for that.

Reactions: TAE
Yeah, you can find conclusions and helpful info in many threads...but my point was that often the debates and discussion continue on...which is a normal thing on forums. I always hate when some people say, "OK, can we please stop talking about this"...or when threads are closed just because they've gone on a long time, even though there may not be any real arguing, just endless debate. It's a forum...that's what it's for...to talk about stuff. :)

I think your wife has some good views, and I agree...a lot of people will fight getting back to normal out of future fears...you can already see it on a variety of social sites by the comments some people are making about what we need to do in the future.

AFA the Big Brother thing...while we are not currently in that situation...don't kid yourself that the existence of fear and panic by a majority of the population is not an open door for Big Brother to come in. If the majority of people were to decide post-virus that they wanted to feel "safe" and at any cost, and they had the numbers to vote into place whatever legislation was proposed to achieve that...well, that worry about being controlled would become a reality for those who didn't want to give up everything to feel safe.

Up in Canada, Trudeau was just recently saying that he wanted to have access to all cell phone activity..."to help fight the virus"...???
People were like...WTF?...how's that a legitimate action. Now I don't think he will get it...but just making the point that Big Brother mentality is not far away.

I like to consider that huge number of life risks we already live with every day, and many have been around for ages, and the best we can do is pay insurance against them, but many risks we can't control. As one example, just look at how many deaths/accidents are caused by drunk drivers. You would think if people focused as hard on those numbers, that we would be in another prohibition era...but no, people simply accept that risk...they think it will not be them that some drunk driver ever hits and kills.
It's something about the virus...the fact that it's small, unseen, has its own process that we can't control...etc....and that seems to freak people out more than any drunk driver will...but when you consider that in a given year, we have well over 10,000 deaths from drunk drivers....year after year...it's a serious number, but we are OK with that.
That's just one example of the risk involved with living.

I use the ride a motorcycle back in the day, and I use to be a hardcore skier. I read somewhere that people who those things, and stuff like skydiving, etc...have some "death wish" mentality...because the risk is a lot higher than other activities, but we still do those things because they make living worthwhile.
You see some of those SciFi movies that depict a very sheltred/controlled society in the future....and in all of them, the plot ends up with some people rebelling against that, so I think it's human nature not to be controlled...but then...we have history (and current reality in some places) that tells us entire populations have accepted being controlled with some sort of collective mindset, and it's never been good. It can happen, all to easily.

I caught a 1 hour documentary on the coronavirus....looks like it was put together a few weeks ago, since the story ended around early March.

They went through the basic stuff...how it started, how it spread...etc...but there were two things I learned that I don't recall anyone discussing in the media all that much.

The first one...it turns out that the reason the USA didn't have test kits in those first few weeks when everyone was asking for them wasn't really Trump's fault, or some government SNAFU. It looks like it was due to some CDC decision.
It appears that the WHO already had a test kit for COVID-19...but here in the USA, the CDC decided that they wanted to come up with their own test, rather than use the one that the WHO had developed.
So that slowed things down...and then, the initial test kits turned out to have some faults...so then it took some more time for them to get that sorted out.
Once they did, then the test kit production went full-tilt.
Now I don't think the CDC acted on some government directive to not use the WHO tests...it was probably because they wanted to make sure the test met their guidelines and all that...but it ended up taking more time, and they lost some footing in their fight to test people rapidly.

The second thing I learned...which pretty much confirmed what I've been saying, that all this lockdown stuff will only prolong the virus...is that the game plan now IS to intentionally prolong the virus spread...with the reason being that but "flattening the curve" they are not expecting to reduce the number of people being infected...they just want to slow that process down, so the healthcare systems can catch up.
So the spread of the virus will NOT be lessened with all this lockdown stuff, which is what I've felt would be the case all along, and the virus will just run its course.
They're just stalling for time...but they still expect 70-80% will be infected in the USA, regardless how long we stay shut in, because the virus isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Now I get their reasoning...but they are setting up a huge trade off, with an almost guaranteed recession if they keeps us locked down for a couple of months ore more...and if it turns out to be several months, it could be even worse, maybe a depression...but the takeaway is that this lockdown will not lower the number of infected in the long run....so people keep saying staying home will save lives, but it's just going to prolong the inevitable, and the only way more lives may be saved is if the healthcare systems can recover quickly and get ahead of the spread, thereby being able to provide more/better care, and that may save more lives./

I dunno...seems to me like a roll of the dice...with nothing guaranteed...but people need to understand that the virus will be with us for quite awhile, and many more will still get infected, not matter how much we stay inside.

Oh...it was also kinda interesting and curious...that they ran this documentary between 2-3AM on the east coast...and I checked their programming for the next few days to see if it will be on again, maybe during the daytime...and nope, couldn't find a replay...though I only went out a couple of days.
Anyway...you would think it would be on during primetime....but maybe they don't want people to have too much info.

Yes....yes......the idea is certainly to prolong the virus.....yes........in order to not overwhelm the hospitals......so that everyone can get a chance at the best possible treatment. That was always the idea.

I got rid of my 2001 Harley Softail last year. I've had a bike ever since I was 15. Riding around Florida was like taking my life in my hands. People texting and driving would wander between lanes........stop on a dime......and not stop behind me at a light. I'll tell you.......when I first got to Florida in 2001....riding around I saw some older people wander and drive slow.......but it was nothing like facing all those idiots who couldn't take their eyes off their cell phones.

I got rid of my 2001 Harley Softail last year. I've had a bike ever since I was 15. Riding around Florida was like taking my life in my hands. People texting and driving would wander between lanes........stop on a dime......and not stop behind me at a light.

I never actually owned a motorcycle but I borrowed one for a few months when I was a teen..Several friends and relatives owned Harleys but I just could never justify the bike with business and raising the family thing. That said the plan was that once the kids were out of the house and there was some disposable money I'd get one...Finally the day came that we were in a position to let me have my bike. I called my cousin who always owned one and was always bugging me to get one so we could do rides together..No cuz don't do it...it's not the same anymore..I sold mine last year after another friend was killed by these dumbass drivers and their cell phones... I was a little disappointed but just backed off and realized I've ended up with some cooler things than a Harley that won't get me killed ( hopefully ) They are called grand kids...woo hoo! Bonus round! I may get a dirt bike but damn falling is a bitch when you're bangin on 67 so I guess we'll see... .

Yes....yes......the idea is certainly to prolong the virus.....yes........in order to not overwhelm the hospitals......so that everyone can get a chance at the best possible treatment. That was always the idea.

OK...but how are the overwhelmed hospitals in NYC being helped by prolonging the virus spread statewide...?
IOW...up where I am, if anyone gets sick, they are not going to drive 1-2 hours down to NYC hospitals....they will use the local hospitals, none of which are overwhelmed AFAIK.
The other point...most people are under the impression that we are staying home so that the virus passes by and we don't get infected...but that's not the case.
AFA waiting for a vaccine...12-18 months, at least.

So by prolonging the infectious spread...it will just delay the inevitable.
Now I better understand where Sweden was coming from with their thinking. Get it over with faster by letting it run its course faster.
AFA the overwhelmed hospitals in the cities...they're still not seeing a slowdown with new cases, which is not surprising considering that this virus had already spread long before we closed the gates.

My motorcycle story...
When I was in my early 20s, I wanted to get a chopper, because that was the cool thing. I was still living at home, kinda still going to school...so my parents were against the idea of a bike, but I persisted, and finally my dad said OK, but at least get a stock bike, rather than a chopper.
Well, I couldn't afford a Harley even back then when they didn't cost as much as a small house...so I figured if I can't get a chopper or a stock Harley, I'll get the meanest, fastest bike at the time...which was a Kawasaki Z1R....it could hit 140MPH, though the most I ever pushed it was 120MPH, which was cool at the time, but kinda nuts when I think back, because one slip, a blown tire, etc...and I would have been a bug on someone's windshield.

Still had me some fun with that bike. Road it all the way from NJ (use to live there) down the outer banks of NC, and went camping on Ocracoke Island with three girls who drove down in a pick-up. One of them ended up becoming my girlfriend...and her and I later went camping with the bike, all loaded up with sleeping bags and pots-n-pans...it was a sight to behold, but good times all around. :D

After awhile, the bike wasn't getting as much use...always had to use a car for things, so eventually I sold it...but at the time, that Z1R was a screamer.
Had it set up with pull-back handlebars, and a two-tier seat with backrest. :cool:

Brother Miro.......you're still not willing to even think that there is any possibility of any person being saved by a hospital that had what they needed to do so....anywhere? If not....then what? It was inevitable? That doesn't seem like you. I think most people are indeed staying home hoping they won't get this thing.......but knowing it could happen....and hoping they'll be able to get the care they need if it does. There's nothing unreasonable about that sort of thinking right now. In my case I'm hoping I can skate by until a vaccine arrives.......but I know I might get it. BTW.....NYC is reporting that the infection rate MAY be lowering and the next week or two might tell the story.

Where did you live in NJ? I lived up there for quite a while in Montville in Morris County.

Yup....I remember that Kawasaki. Guys like you used to pull up next to me and my Harley and dare me to take them "off the line". As you know......that's like a turtle trying to outrun a deer. I don't have a 3 girl story like yours. As with your new studio......I now have another reason to be jealous of you. Oh well.......what can I say?

I sold my bike after 15 tears of riding this last time. I just wasn't fun, you have to drive so defensive there is no joy. So I bought a bug. Not much safer and it is so low powered you have to really drive the thing in a hilly area. Plus parts are are so easy to get for them, except for 67, a one off year.

This thread is now all about who backs down first. The human need for validation and stature is overwhelmingly strong and a part of most peoples personality. Ok.....that stuff comes from my wife who....as some of you know......is a Clinical Psychologist. She's read this thread. She may not be correct.... but......she's pretty good at her job.

OH DAMN! We're being analyzed! :eek: For free! :D

Well she had to get a giggle or two and at least a few head shakes out of this quagmire of myopic opinions and testosteronically fueled egos... arf! no..... ARFITY ARF ARF! ...arf! :laughings:

Brother Miro.......you're still not willing to even think that there is any possibility of any person being saved by a hospital that had what they needed to do so....anywhere?

You're misunderstanding me.
I never said that the hospital care was a waste of time...just that in most cases, the people who can be saved, are probably saved thanks to their own survival mechanism. I'm sure some were helped by the support from the hospital.
My real point is that staying home is not going to stop the spread, which was well underway before we ever got that directive...and then fact that we are not really under actual quarantine status, so there are still a lot of people out and about simply due to the nature of essential needs.

The other point...someone staying at home up in the Catskills of NY...is not going to have any impact on NYC hospital overcrowding which is caused by infected city dwellers.
If anything...they should have *quarantined* the entire city, but instead, many city people headed out for LI and up north....so that's where the spread here came from.
Right now, we're just killing time, but the virus will most likely still be here 3 months from now, so when they finally relax things...will you feel any more safer going out than you do now?

I lived in a few places in NJ, mostly central Jersey...my last address was in Jamesburg, down between East Brunswick and Englishtown.

Oh...speaking of the girls....that one summer was a blast.
I went camping with as many as 5 of them a couple of times, until I finally cut the one out of the heard and we became an item. :)

Speaking of Harleys and the Kawasaki...even though my Z1R was a screamer, I was still envious of the people riding Hogs.
One time I pulled into a bar to meet some friends, and there were a bunch of bikes parked outside, mostly Harleys.
So when I finally came out to leave...some of the riders were outside on their Harleys...and as I got on my Kawasaki, a couple of them were singing the theme "Kawasaki let's the good times roll"... :D ...kinda busting my chops, but I knew they couldn't catch me if I had to make a run for it. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back