My Corona

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miro mentioned a current culture of people watching the news on an endless cycle. When something is highly dangerous and threatening in this country.......like war or the Cuban Crisis.....or Iraq.....or Iran.....or an attack on our ship.....or a new virus that kills with no vaccine and any number of things people consider to be important in their lives and the lives of their children......hey man...it's always been the same.......people watch TV constantly. It's our culture and what we were brought up on. The question these days is all about how much truth or fiction is being broadcast and how different networks take a 100% singular view of politics. I can live with that......but not when the facts about a deadly disease are twisted. I'm not going to say what networks IMO are guilty of lies. THAT IS NOT IMPORTANT!! What's important is how every person with a brain and a moral standard decides how to judge them.

If this whole thing turns out that the hospitals do not get overwhelmed........then that's good and Miro's suspicions would have been correct.

Click on the pic to read the full article..

This article follows Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now,

Summary of the article: Strong coronavirus measures today should only last a few weeks, there shouldn’t be a big peak of infections afterwards, and it can all be done for a reasonable cost to society, saving millions of lives along the way. If we don’t take these measures, tens of millions will be infected, many will die, along with anybody else that requires intensive care, because the healthcare system will have collapsed.

Within a week, countries around the world have gone from: “This coronavirus thing is not a big deal” to declaring the state of emergency. Yet many countries are still not doing much. Why?

1*ok3NLISRGvK-4SQyDA5KTg.png

The market I was at the other day was completely reorganized. Limited occupancy. .

Yep this shit is on..We went to Costco and Sam's last night...BTW pretty much anything there we wanted but for a few items. Lots of signs 1 or 2 items only and the stand here stickers 6' apart at the register and at the door where they check your receipt.

One thing China did that we aren't doing that I think should be instituted is at these stores and any public place they should be screening for people with temperatures and if you have a temperature sorry you can't come in...period no questions asked..That in of itself would slow a lot of this shit down. The laser thermometers are cheap and accurate WTF we haven't instituted that is beyond me.

LOTS of people finally wearing mask

I was thinking in Texas the Gov let each county do their own thing.

In a science rab lat way, it would be interesting if one county did the "Do Nothing...lets catch the flu and get it over faster" approach just to have a skeptics data point...…

Seems for the most part the main counties (Dallas/Ft Worth, Houston, Austin, ) are doing the "Stay Home" norm and some countys allowing a little more movement and more business's to decide themselves.

It appears Guitar Centers around here, are apparently not deemed "essential". 2 are open 1 day a week out (wed- short hours) per the webstore, of the 9 stores in my area, leaving 7 totally CLOSED. Seems the GC CEO is going to pay 14 days wages, but the furloughs are probably already done by now allowing unemployed to get unemployment (+ $600 extra ) , post taxes ?...$1400-$1500 month MAX, with the April +$1200 would be $2600 for April.
If the Landlords and Banks/Mortgages allow "floating" the payments a few months it would allow a better situation for people, probably better than normal, actually?

Not sure how all this will hit the global economy, my brains too small for all that.

If this whole thing turns out that the hospitals do not get overwhelmed........then that's good and Miro's suspicions would have been correct.

Dude they are already overwhelmed in many cities.
The reports and chatter from the Nurses and Teams are already ugly aroun' har'. One main hospital in downtown has 32 beds for Lung-type patients. It was already about full before this happened, with a average of 2 beds empty of the 32.

Then this started which last week was averaging 18 new people a day (last week) at the 32 bed Hospital....so the normal patients, ones that were even close to getting released were released early, other younger people get the "go home" good luck! to make room for the glass-shard lung pneumonia like V-19 patients. Im curious what the numbers are this week? 32 beds and 300 patients? I don't know. At 20 new sick lung people a day would be 140 per week, but exponential math says this is ramping up and not a linear line of incoming.

....the Medical Staff is out of face masks and much more in several of the Hospital areas and Staff is being rolled in to help, retiree's asked to backfill as others go to the front line.

But yeah , if a person is in a small town and its peaceful or out in the woods alone, and doesn't talk to people in the hospital world, it might seem pretty crazy to have all this Stay Home orders stuff going on.

Last edited:
Dude they are already overwhelmed in many cities.

It's really only in the big cities, like NYC....but when you have a city with 3.2 million people, all compressed in apartment housing riding subways and busses, and merging in crammed buildings,. it's no surprise that's where you end up with a "hot spot" and more people going to the hospitals.
Also up from NYC in Westchester there are a lot of cases...but those are the people who work in the city mostly...so no surprise it spread there.

Further out from NYC...there is no overflow of sick people...actually, statewide, if you take away NYC/Westchester, the spread is low, which brings us back to the need for statewide shutdowns.
If they needed to quarantine...they should have shut down NYC weeks ago...no going in/out except for essential services...but Cuomo wouldn't do that. He complained when Trump wanted to close all the airports (not trying to go political here, just outlining what happened)...and then all the NYC people spread out.
Many also left their NYC apartments for their weekend homes in Long Island, Connecticut and upstate...and that's why it spread.

Anyway...latest announcement said that in NYC, the rate of doubling in hospital admissions has started to slow down. Which again brings me to my point...that this virus was already here, and the spread was happening BEFORE anything was done about it...so this notion that many lives are being saved by keeping people home, is not really a strong argument at this time...it's just the knee-jerk reaction because they never had any other plans ready to act on...or considered how.

Most scientists will tell you that how a virus moves, why it mutates, why some people have no symptoms and other show heavy symptoms...and all that stuff...is still very much a mystery to them, and many of their projections are much like projecting where a hurricane will hit 10 days out, and what damage it will cause.

Yep this shit is on..We went to Costco and Sam's last night...

See...that's the thing, no matter how much we "hide in place"...we still need to go out for bare necessities. So then, why the need to completely shut everything down if people still need to move about. It's just a "make you feel safer" action imposed on everyone, but it's not going to stop how this virus spreads or how long it is with us.

All that "social distancing" styuff can be practiced in every day life, at work, etc...so no need to stay locked up at home, unless people want to do that to feel safer.
I personally think the 6' stuff is silly for most cases, and as long as someone is not coughing and sneezing at you, you don't need to stay that far away.

The real issue is the hand touching, then the face touching. If people were simply more conscious about that...knowing that they just touched some surfaces that others are touching, and then simply washing their hands...that alone would have slowed the spread to a crawl...but very few people practice that level of personal hygiene consciousness, and they might wash before eating a burger at Mickey D's...but two minutes earlier before they went to wash their hands, they wiped their nose with their hand, then went to the soda machine, then the napkin dispenser, and then they rubbed their eye...etc....then they went to wash.

I see that shit all the time...so no wonder germs spread. People need to be more educated and more focused about something as simple as washing of hands before touching your face....or just washing more regularly.

Right now...many are acting like everyone else has the virus, and they need to stand well clear of everyone, and they walk around with that suspicious look on their faces, as though they can tell if you have the virus or not...it's just so bizarre.

Oh...the other stupidity...the elbow bumps. :facepalm:
Meanwhile, everyone sneezes and coughs into their elbows now, because somewhere that became the "proper" social thing to do.
So when you bump elbows...don't stick your face in your elbow to sneeze, until you wash your elbow! :p

On some yacht in a beautiful blue ocean, some rich Mfer is in total bliss as the total financial takeover is occurring.

Meanwhile........We, those who work and create wealth , cower in place, hiding until our overlords tell us it’s ok to come back out.

People who need to be right about their opinion regarding this virus and how it's being handled...........and have some obvious difficulty seeing much in the way of valid reasoning for either a shutdown or the opposite........need only wait to see the results. Yup.....as always....time will tell. In this case.....no one can surely be right or wrong at this point.

Sadly.......as today's times demonstrate over and over........even when the facts appear over time........those who were wrong will still desperately need to be right.......even when perhaps only a teeny fact backs them up........and those who were right......will need to proclaim that those who were wrong need to be punished.........even if they themselves have been wrong many times in the past. It's called human behavior.

So.......I guess we'll see.....right?

need to be more educated and more focused about something as simple as washing of hands before touching your face....or just washing more regularly.

tell it to China....they seem to be a great producer of these virus's...and the animal disease eating in squalor. (or is it military germ labs)...but whatever.

The "Dont Do Nothing" side, and "everyones stupid" cheer-leading, has always been present. Many didnt want to get involved in WW2 either, its all the same opinion banter and justifiable as anyone else.

I guess for now our current Government and Medical Experts are leaning toward Self Quarantine, maybe its all an ignorant waste of time?

The elbow thing, yeah....Ill pass on that too.

tell it to China....they seem to be a great producer of these virus's...and the animal disease eating in squalor. (or is it military germ labs)...but whatever.

The "Dont Do Nothing" side, and "everyones stupid" cheer-leading, has always been present. Many didnt want to get involved in WW2 either, its all the same opinion banter and justifiable as anyone else.

I guess for now our current Government and Medical Experts are leaning toward Self Quarantine, maybe its all an ignorant waste of time?

The elbow thing, yeah....Ill pass on that too.

I've been saying it for awhile now in other conversations...China needs to be held accountable on some level. This is not the first nasty virus out of China due to how they eat and interact with wild animals. So the whole world is paying the price in both health and economic losses.

AFA the various governments telling us what to do...they use the same brain trusts like they did back in the '50s when they told people to "duck, roll and cover" or told school kids to hide under their desks in the event of an atomic blast. :facepalm:
Don't think for a second that they didn't know that was a total waste of time...:D...but they needed something easy that they could sell to the masses.

So today, we're told to "hide in place" to avoid the virus.
Meanwhile...in NY, Cuomo was told by a NY Task Force in 2015 that their guidelines for ventilators in the even of a pandemic showed NY would need about 16,000 units. Did he get them...?...no. Back then it seemed like a waste of money. Now he wishes he had.
There was no plan for any serious epidemic or pandemic...not local, not state, not nationwide. Not now, not in the past.
Everyone is trying to be proactive, and everyone wants to be right...to be the leader who made the right decisions...but it's so unpredictable what this virus will do, even the scientist don't know for sure....so to make us all "feel" safer...the best they got is "hide in place" until we think it's safe to tell you to come out.

:rolleyes:

Remember in World War Z...when Brad Pitt says that staying in one place is death, and moviment is life (or something like that). ;)
TBH...if we did have a true zombie war...I would bet any amount of money that the governments would tell us exactly that...to stay inside and avoid going out...why?...because there is no other plan in place....duck, roll and cover.

See...that's the thing, no matter how much we "hide in place"...we still need to go out for bare necessities. So then, why the need to completely shut everything down if people still need to move about.

Come on Miro you're smarter than that... it's simple math / numbers. The more we go out, the more we interact with other humans so by reducing the amount of interaction we reduce and slow down the spread. Like old Jack LaLane said about getting up at 5 in the morning to work out..."You think I like getting up at 5 in the morning every day to work out? I hate it! But it's the results that drive me"...Same goes for keeping our asses in our homes and shutting down non essential business's ( LIKE GUITAR CENTER WTF!) We all hate it but baby the results are worth it for those that may never know that their ass or one of their friends or loved ones asses was saved by the sacrifices and minor inconveniences we as a society have deemed necessary to slow the spread of this shit down. SUBMISS AND OBEY MIRO!

Come on Miro you're smarter than that... it's simple math / numbers.

Well...you're smarter than that too.
My point is...you're NOT staying in, are you?
You still went out shopping...so how do you know you or someone else at Costco/Sam's Club wasn't spreading the virus?
Where they testing everyone that came into the store or that worked there...?....No.
Somehow that, and all the rest of the "essential" people that are still moving about...is acceptable.

Today Trump said there is a possibility about putting some areas of NY under quarantine...and Cuomo replied he didn't think you could do that.
So my point is that our hide-in-place approach is not like a true quarantine, where you know 100% you are mitigating the spread.

They should have quarantined NYC...but like 2-3 weeks back, as soon as they saw it start to spread...since that was the point of origin for most of the NE spread...but Cuomo balked at that idea. It's kinda all too late now.

Anyway, I'm waiting to see the numbers from Sweden, with their more relaxed approach...and now it looks like Brazil is going to do the same, and even more relaxed, since their president feels this is not worse than the common flu. I have no idea if their hospitals are overrun with sick people or what, but that's the direction they are going in. Then you have the country in Africa - Malawi, and they have zero cases in their country, but their president has everything locked down, not just their ports of entry. Kinda overkill.

If we knew that this virus was like a wave, and we just needed to hunker down inside for Xdays until it passed, and then it was all over, that would be one thing...but this will most likely be around months and months...so the odds of it spreading are not going to be mitigated by any shutdown that don't run into next winter, which is pretty much not going to happen...and even if we stayed shutdown until then...we would most likely see another wave of some flu-type virus next season, and then how do we react to that...or worse, if it's a COVID-19 mutation, which means what...more shutdown.

It's still too early to really tell, it's only a week or two now...but let's give it another couple of week or even a month, and then see how people feel about it.

There are a effin trillion billion billion unknown viruses that are living in our oceans this very second. Constantly mutating, multiplying, making new ways to invade, populate and multiply. NOBODY, including our forum brother Miro wants people to get sick or worse. That does not mean that it isn't also human nature to point out the fact that no matter how hard we try, something is going to get every single one of us no matter how we defend ourselves from every bad thing.

Insurance does not prevent accidents, IOW it does not actually "insure" that something won't happen. Prevention, by the rules inherent of the physical world we live, is not an absolute, but rather a constantly moving target. It is only human hubris that allows us to even consider the idea that we can "prevent" something from happening.

The idea that we can "isolate" our selves from the natural world is something only a human could come up with but the fact is no animal(yes we are animals) can exist without an ecosystem and that fact makes all animals and life itself, inherently susceptible to random and unpredictable events.

In a perfect world there are always enough ventilators, vaccines, anti virals, doctors and hospital beds. We don't live in that world, we live in a world that will take a life or wipe out a whole species without a thought or a blink and to think differently , while human, is IMHO myopic and a bit disingenuous. Living in fear is not IMO the answer.

We are all doing the best we can and that's all we can do , but I am not convinced that finger pointing and blaming/shaming is anything more than peoples fears manifesting into anti social and un-helpful dogma.

Anyway i hope you are all well, carry on

That's right...my views don't suggest that it's OK to just let people get sick and die...but rather that it's not something we are in any real control of with this virus.
It will run its course, and the most healthcare is doing is making them more comfortable...but each person fights their own battle, and most are winning because their immune system and health were in good shape before the virus infected them.

Kind makes you wonder how we all survived this long as a species if something like this is causing so much fear and panic.

Anyway...it looks like the last three days things are starting to plateau in the USA....but we'll know better over the next several days.

It's difficult to say. We seem to be doing comparatively ok, mainly, I think, because of our low population density and geographic separation.

However, air travel and cruise ships have been troublesome. Interstate travel is banned, as are a whole heap of other things, such as public gatherings, restaurants, bars etc where people congregate.

Here are Australia's daily cases:

Australia Coronavirus: 3,969 Cases and 16 Deaths - Worldometer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back