Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 499

Thread: My Corona

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Trending
    Posts
    19,455
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked 963 Times in 840 Posts
    Rep Power
    21473792
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by notCardio View Post
    And I disagree about the reaction?
    Well...it's one thing to get prepared and take some common sense precautions...but I don't see the need for fear and panic...not for a flu-like virus.
    So if it was something really deadly and fast...imagine the fear and panic then.

    I also don't think that short of the entire world locking down all travel and movement of people...there's not much that we or anyone else could have done to stop the spread, because as you can see from that map...even the most remote regions of the world, where travel to/from is normally quite low...even there the virus is showing up.

    IMO...this virus was around for months before anyone put a name on it...it was just passed off as nothing more than common flu if the symptoms were milder....so that's why it's hard to prepare for this kind of thing.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Slipping through the cracks
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,749
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 78 Times in 75 Posts
    Rep Power
    10840151
    The reason we don't fear a flu-like virus as much is because we are used to having vaccines for the flu, which greatly reduces the numbers infected and affected. Tens of thousands die every year from the 'ordinary' flu, yet many morons still won't get vaccinated. One of the main reasons that Italy is in dire straights is because they didn't take it seriously enough to begin with.

    Fear, yes. Panic, no. And preparation. If everyone kept two weeks worth of supplies for emergencies as is recommended anyway, we wouldn't have nearly the panic buying and shortages we do. I realize that not everyone can do this, but if those that can would, every little bit helps.
    "One thing led to another and, before we knew it, we were dead." --Michael O'Donoghue

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    5,575
    Thanks
    81
    Thanked 119 Times in 113 Posts
    Rep Power
    4877571
    Yeah its strange, young twitter people and celebs claiming 7 days of flu, no big deal...while the Doctors and other Math based reports state up to 2.2 million dead in US and 500k in the UK...and elderly and at-risk people making the majority.

    Texas signed a new Exec Order last night , basically states that " 10 people limit, no bars, restaurant and massage parlors etc...
    For now, free to roam and do drive thru, parks, and use of common sense in isolation and cleanliness....some business's open many seem to be shortening the hours or closed around here. Ö.Governor said this is a 100yr since the last time. This Order until April 3.

    Another debate here is Paid Leave for the working poor.
    If this is Mandatory, the Politicians in each State will have to come up with something to decide about the masses of people being sent home without pay. The Income loss and Financial "flu" will be interesting and hopefully not devastating. In Texas some (Republicans) are fighting against the Paid Leave, while others are trying to get it for the Virus-19 out of work humans. Its weird times....Mandated time off by State and Feds, not really business induced...who pays?

    Will Guitar Center have a Coronavirus Sale? Will they drop prices to try to save their already sinking ship?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails coronavirus-peak-covid-19-pandemic-chart-2368038-jpg  

    if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Trending
    Posts
    19,455
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked 963 Times in 840 Posts
    Rep Power
    21473792
    Quote Originally Posted by notCardio View Post
    Fear, yes. Panic, no.
    The problem is...the two are very often inseparable for most people.

    Frankly...I don't really understand the "fear" unless you are someone with a compromised immune system, or the elderly with preexisting health issues.
    As the numbers indicate...the greater majority infected recover from it same as the common flu...so why the need for fear...?
    I would say the use of common sense and some extra caution...but if more people took that approach as a regular part of life, then even the common flu would cause less sickness and death. If you want to get vaccinated, that's your choice...but I find that tends to bread a lack of common sense and caution, people assume that "I got vaccinated, I won't get sick"...and then every year we have thousands who to anyway, and it turns out the vaccine wasn't *exactly* the right mix for whatever flu virus us around.

    I am amazed at how many people have NO concept of "social hygiene"...being aware that when in public, you take some caution in what you touch and how you keep yourself clean. Being more proactive along those lines would avoid the spread more than the vaccines do, IMO.
    People show up for work sick as a dog...coughing and sneezing...and you tell them to go home, and they ignore you...they figure, I'm already sick so it's not my problem...but if they learned to self-quarantine, or at the least avoid touching and spreading, and maybe wearing a mask when they are sick (not when they are healthy)...then the spread would be minimized in a natural way.

    Well...I'm not in fear of this, and if I get sick, I'll get over it most likely...but what I am in fear of is the near-martial law mentality that is quickly creeping in...and it scares me to think that so many people are championing that because they think it will make them safer...but the fallout will be that we gave up yet more freedom in the process, because precedents will be set.
    Next year when someone says there is a new virus this season...countries will immediately issue lockdown rules, and little by little, they will be able to control world populations by these methods. We depend too much on our governments to safe us and protect us...and we give up too much in return for that.
    Not trying to make this a political discussion...but this is how things change in a big way...because when people buy into fear and panic, they are very easy to manipulate.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Trending
    Posts
    19,455
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked 963 Times in 840 Posts
    Rep Power
    21473792
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post
    Will Guitar Center have a Coronavirus Sale? Will they drop prices to try to save their already sinking ship?
    Yes, there are a lot of projections about the numbers of infected and dead will come out of this...but so far, the actual numbers are not supporting this extremes.
    The thing here...if you compare the number of deaths each year for the elderly and already sick from other issues...you see how much greater they are than what these COVID-19 numbers are.

    Also...if someone has a serious respiratory condition, and they are clinging to life already, with probably not much longer to go...and they get COVID-19, and then die...what really killed them, the virus or their preexisting condition which was already killing them...?
    Someone made a bit of joke WRT that...and they said if someone jumps out of the window because the have COVID-19...do you could it as a virus death or a suicide? They somewhat "dark" point they were making is that there may be a lot of numbers getting associated with a virus caused death...but in reality, it was the preexisting conditions that lead to it. Now, if COVID-19 had a high death rate even with the younger and healthy population...then that would be something totally different, and you could attribute the deaths specifically to the virus.

    AFA the Guitar Center thing......well, TBH, I'm expecting that there will be a lot of lower prices and fire sales caused by the economic downturn, that is bei9ng driven directly by the fear and panic of COVID-19.
    So yeah...I'm expecting some deals will be had...and I don't see that as a negative for the people who can take advantage. I see it as helping to turn the economy around...but at this point, we may not see that for at least a couple of months or more...whenever the governments decide to allow us back on the streets...but of course, there is always online shopping, and it might see a new boom because of these lockdowns.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Fremantle, Australia
    Age
    63
    Posts
    6,002
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 230 Times in 212 Posts
    Rep Power
    12019185
    Well it happened today, because the entitled generation could not self isolate to some degree and still gathered in large groups, for example Bondi beach, the government have closed everything, cafes, gyms, hotels, etc. the boulders to my state Western Australia, are closed, which is not hard in our case.

    So I now not only have no musician or sound engineer income, but I actually have nothing to do as well.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Trending
    Posts
    19,455
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked 963 Times in 840 Posts
    Rep Power
    21473792
    Our brilliant governor of NY State has put us all in shutdown effective 8PM Sunday...and now he's saying we might be shut down for 9 months or more...???


    There will be riots in the streets in less than a month...people will simply not stay lockdown for that long.
    In NY, we have a little over 15k cases with 75 deaths...so we are roughly looking at a 0.5% death rate...which is less than hundreds of other illnesses/year.
    There will be a lot of questions at some point, asking about the reactions and response, and what was the net value of it all.
    If society stops functioning in any normal way, holed up and endlessly waiting for the "all clear" sirens to go off...that's not much different than being dead.

    They want to keep vital services going, the food coming, the infrastructure functioning...but they want everyone to stay home for 9 months...???
    Yeah, OK...we'll see how well that works out.

    Do we want Big Brother to protect us?
    Last edited by miroslav; 03-23-2020 at 04:16.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    HOUSTON, TEXAS
    Posts
    1,015
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked 167 Times in 149 Posts
    Rep Power
    798999
    Isolationism isn't good for a species historically.

    Even the Black Plague and the 1918 Influenza epidemics would not have been as deadly with modern sanitation, sewer and clean water. Not even adding antibiotic technology.

    I think we're far into the institutional "fear of getting sued" mode at this point. As well as the typical politico butt covering.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Joisey
    Posts
    10,636
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 50 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    9012900
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post

    In NY, we have a little over 15k cases with 75 deaths...so we are roughly looking at a .005% death rate...which is less than hundreds of other illnesses/year.
    You seem to be missing the point that the growth is exponential, and NO ONE has immunity to it. It is a ďnovelĒ coronavirus. No ones been exposed to it before and therefore there is no inherent immunity. 15,000 cases begets 45,000 cases, begets 135,000 cases, begets 405,000 cases. Well, you get the point.

    Yes, we can let it run rampant, and eventually herd immunity will develop. That happens once 60% to 80% of the population has already gotten the disease.

    If that happens over a 30 or 60 day period, theyíll be stacking up the bodies. The death rate is somewhat low now because those people seriously infected are being treated. You simply canít treat millions of people at once.

    But yeah, letís do nothing. Itís only grandma.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dachay2tnr For This Useful Post:


  11. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Slipping through the cracks
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,749
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 78 Times in 75 Posts
    Rep Power
    10840151
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    Not even adding antibiotic technology.
    It's a virus. Antibiotics don't work on viruses.
    "One thing led to another and, before we knew it, we were dead." --Michael O'Donoghue

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Corona virus impact
    By witzendoz in forum Live Sound & Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-08-2020, 00:14
  2. Formula 5 Corona Chorus Avenson DI's pickups DIY etc
    By Jonk in forum Free Ads for Music/Recording Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-11-2015, 10:29
  3. A few short duets... relax and have a Corona.
    By XLR in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-29-2007, 06:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •