Music making and recording - post virus...?

My mother’s in hospital at the moment again. Last week she was just old and weak but didn’t have it. Now she’s back in hospital and they’re waiting for the test results again. She’s only had contact with the medics so she probably caught it in hospital or on the way back from hospital.

Here in England we’ll come out of it. However, here, we have lost a number of small and large venues already. Closed and no income and no bank balance to see it through. When it’s over I wonder how many will be able to find the funds to open again. Other music venues have lost key people and getting them back might be a problem and two hire companies I use are selling kit on ebay and nobody is buying! I looked at a five grand item for 900 but I darent risk spending what I have saved. Love to but it would be stupid. I’m looking at work for when it’s over but the infrastructure is gone. One venue I look after is essentially abandoned. I reckon to get it going and clean for customers is likely to cost ten grand at least and that’s before a complete restock of beer and food items. They will have to borrow money to start up and I don’t know if it’s affordable. It’s probable here in just my area that around half have given up and won’t open again. The remainder intend to and are shouting about it. Entertainment will be different. Annoyingly I’m due to retire before it will get fixed so my retirement can either be delayed or I will be significantly poorer in my old age.

One other thing will be entertainment as a career is damaged. Parents will not promote the arts to their kids. Go work for a bank, don’t make music is sadly sensible advice. We’re suffering and lots of higher earning professions are not! If you are a parent what would you advise your kids?

I’m speculating that venues that do reopen will have new revised “maximum occupancy” codes instituted in line with the new “social distance” norms.
Without enough people filling places up they’ll cease to be profitable.

Nope...that's not accurate. Right now in the USA it's just up to 2%, with that being the partly due to the anticipated spike that was expected this and next week.

I'm using logic and the numbers provided by the CDC to make decisions and come to conclusions...not fear and panic.

But you're not using logic or numbers... because even if you want to use the 2% instead of the 3% (which is worldwide) you're still at a 20x more death rate than the flu at 0.1%. That's 20 people out of 1000 for COVID-19 and 1 person out of 1000 for the Flu. You are correct in the stress on the healthcare system... which is what makes it way worse than the Flu, even if the numbers were comparable, which they're not...

Anyhow... I'm not trying to argue, just wish people wouldn't use the "Flu" as some comparison which it isn't... You've obviously heard some "figure head" spout off about the "Flu" being a comparable... it isn't. Hope you weren't a fan of Fountains of Wayne.

But you're not using logic or numbers... because even if you want to use the 2% instead of the 3% (which is worldwide) you're still at a 20x more death rate than the flu at 0.1%. That's 20 people out of 1000 for COVID-19 and 1 person out of 1000 for the Flu.

The final numbers will tell the real tale.
If flu ends up being the bigger total killer in a given year...then you can't just dismiss that as irrelevant when you start talking about saving lives...and THAT has been my point. We seem to dismiss the flu and the strain it causes on healthcare and the total number of yearly deaths as a "normal" part of life.

There are 1,015,191 cases world wide, and there have been 53,180 deaths. That's a rate of just over 5%. USA's rate is about 2.5%

There are 1,015,191 cases world wide, and there have been 53,180 deaths. That's a rate of just over 5%. USA's rate is about 2.5%

Good math dude! Real numbers.... Where these talking heads are getting theirs I don't know but they sure don't line up with the real available data. BTW Italy is @ 12 out of 100 not making it :eek: that's way above the world wide 5% average ...sad shit

Getting back to the whole music making thing during and post virus...

I've been checking my local musician's classifieds where they also do a calendar of upcoming events...and while some are plainly cancelled, others are not, and I've followed it for the last couple of weeks now, so these are not old, forgotten dates...but current/future ones.

Hudson Valley, NY Calendar of Music Events

Also...local radio stations do an "arts calendar"...and though it isn't as plentiful as usual, they do mention certain dates for current/future events.

I guess it's puzzling to me, since in NYS, they closed all the bars and restaurants...so how are these events still taking place...???

I get my figures from here:
Coronavirus Update (Live): 1,015,531 Cases and 53,198 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

But yes . . . back to the topic.

I am in a fairly fortunate position in that I can do things remotely. So a lot of people are sending me stuff they've recorded, I do things to them: add, change and subtract, and send it back, then we repeat the process. It's more difficult for those without the technology. They just have to wait until it's all clear to move around again.

It has been quieter, but that has proved to be an advantage. Since 2018 (possibly even earlier) I've had two SSDs in my box; one with Windows 10 and one with XP. I had been running XP for years, but since getting the two drives, I've occasionally swapped out the XP one to load W10, and have slowly been configuring it to take over. However, I had been reluctant to make the transition fully because I had been very busy, and didn't want things to go wrong while I still had major projects on the go. Now I have had the time and lack of interruptions to make the transition properly. When business resumes, I'll be set for full W10 operation.

Yo brother Miro just to be clear when I said Talking Heads I was speaking of Trump and knuckleheads like my awesome governor out here in Cali spouting off Whack numbers that they have to be getting from somebody operating with HUA that absolutely are impossible to validate...really bothersome 100K to 250,000 deaths in the U.S. / Half of all of Californian's will get the virus ( I guess cause we're "special") Dart board prognostication and pretty shitty dart throwing IMO...

Your two sources are fine for looking just at the U.S. but to get reliable statistics and get the BIG picture worldometer is a much better resource and you'll find on par with the CDC's USA numbers..

so how are these events still taking place...???
Based on what I'm seeing on the news today we're about a week from this becoming a nationally required thing not left up to individual states. I don't believe we're going to be seeing any group of 10+ events for a good few months at minimum...There will be however a cornucopia of online events as we're all jonesing to get our ya ya's out..

...as we're all jonesing to get our ya ya's out..

Speaking about that...and to change the direction of this thread a little...how is everyone occupying all their stay at home time with music making or anything music related?

I've been wanted to get back to some playing and recording, which I can certainly do while at home...though I was going to start gearing up to get back out for some live gig stuff, but now that's probably on hold at least until the fall the way things are going.
Right now I'm still trying to wrap up the finish work on the new studio space...I can't seem to get past having to paint something every time I turn around...:facepalm:
...but hopefully in the next week I'm going to start moving some gear into the new space, and first on my list will be to get at least one amp plugged in, so I can go in there every day an just jam a bit. I haven't picked up a guitar in months because of this construction...but now I'm eager to get those fingers back in action and some callouses back on them.

If I can get the new studio set up in the next month or so, and we are still in this shutdown mode...I'm just going to get back to working on some songs, and eventually recording them solo, but I was looking forward to inviting people over for some recording projects...I'm just not sure when folks will be motivated and willing to do that sort of thing without feeling uncomfortable with all the social distancing stuff and precautions everyone is adopting.

Recording is on hold for me
I’m busy putting together a classroom to accommodate this new “distance learning” school setup. I guess it will be like regular school except through skype.

Recording is on hold for me
I’m busy putting together a classroom to accommodate this new “distance learning” school setup. I guess it will be like regular school except through skype.

Oh...is that what they are doing out there by you?

Around here, there is some expectation that the schools will be back in session by May 1...and then they can do some catch up and actually get this year done normally, maybe just a few weeks late, since they managed to piggyback their spring break plus the bunch of unused snow days to cover a good chunk of this shutdown.

With all the parents home with the kids...they should get back to the old frontier ways of home schooling.
You know...maybe some of the positive fallout from this virus stay-at-home stuff is that families get some better bonding time, especially with the kids, who usually spend most of their days in school.

You know...maybe some of the positive fallout from this virus stay-at-home stuff is that families get some better bonding time, especially with the kids, who usually spend most of their days in school.

Big +1 to that. There's always good to be found.
This situation is a disaster, no doubt, but there's a huge amount of good coming from it in terms of how many families, and communities, are pulling together and supporting each other.
With any luck some of that will stick with younger folks, long term.

Big +1 to that.

LOL I don't know about that.... My daughter with 3 kids ( 8, 5 and 4 ) locked up in her house without any other adults for a 10+ hour stretch each work day told my son in law "BRING WINE!" I am about to go bonkers...He brought her a bottle of white grape juice :laughings:

Absolutely this will be a unforgettable chapter in all of our lives and will change how we go about a lot of things going forward. Would not be surprised to see much more of the cyber classrooms...Both of my daughters are educators here in Cali and lets just say Ol Ben Franklin's saying "Necessity is the Mother of invention" is hard at work......and getting back on the topic of music...That is how Frank came up with the name Mothers of invention...cause music is a necessity! Rock on!

LOL I don't know about that.... My daughter with 3 kids ( 8, 5 and 4 ) locked up in her house without any other adults for a 10+ hour stretch each work day told my son in law "BRING WINE!" I am about to go bonkers...He brought her a bottle of white grape juice :laughings:

:laughings:I'm sure there's a lot of that going on!

Well...I hope it doesn't go there...but I totally agree that widespread fear and panic is an open door for full-on government control...and many people would be OK with it, if they believe it will make them feel safer.'
It's a "Matrix" reality...you know, where that one guy says he doesn't care if it's not real as long as it seems real to him, he was willing to get plugged back into the Matrix grid and give up his freedom.

Anyway...I'll tell you what's really been bugging me lately on the music side.

As I've been endlessly working with my studio construction, I've had my little "shop" radio always on. It's simpler than screwing around with internet and playlists and all that stuff...the radio I can plug in and dial in some station, and just let it go.
I mostly listen to a fairly diverse station...everything from world music to Punk and Blues...and also some more current stuff, but not from the typical general public artists...but lesser known stuff.

Of course, at some point, I kinda get tired of their playlists, or a couple of their odd programs, so I'll dial in something more common on some "classic Rock" station, because I grew up with that stuff...and man, it's so annoying to listen to those classic Rock stations, because they just cycle the same playlists day in and day out.

I mean..as soon as they say there's a song from Zep, or Van Halen or any classic Rock artists...I know exactly which song they will play before they play it, because they only stick to a specific playlist for all the classic Rock artists...even if you move from one classic Rock station to another...it's the SAME songs.
I mean, it's so pathetic, that after a couple of hours, I'm sick of listening to it.
If they would actuality look at the discography of those artists, they would see that there were MANY other good songs to pick from but now...they just recycle the same ones. :facepalm:

I get so tired of it...that I end up tuning in a classical music station just to cleanse my palate. :D

My local radio stations are the same way. I recently discovered this Radio Garden – Explore live radio by rotating the globe
If you have a smart phone it makes for a great radio. The site is just a globe, which you can rotate, and radio station from around the world are pin pointed with a green dot. Select a dot, and that station starts playing, and a pop up appears telling you where it is exactly, station, band and song name. Ive found some interesting stuff on there.

Back