Music making and recording - post virus...?

miroslav

Cosmic Cowboy
I don't want to segue the other thread...so a new one mainly to discuss the aftermath possibilities for music.
I'm sure there will be other issues more important than that, following the virus period, which I'm confident will pass...but we are musicians and studio cats...so let's keep it to that here.

I've been kinda concerned that no matter the outcome, the fearand panic we are seeing spreading faster and deeper than the virus itself, will leave a permanent scar on social behavior...and that could potentially wipe out many of the social/recreational things we like to engage in.
Like...will people go to concerts again, without some arcane and complicated "social distancing" rules that will make the whole thing not enjoyable...?
What about the local clubs and bars...will they have to impose crowed limits...or will it even matter, because people will just continue to be in fear of ever catching anything again from anyone.

There's a lot of other things...like even going to a jam at someone's house...will that be done with disinfectant and gloves...?

That's the kind of stuff that scares me more than the virus, the social reaction...or overreaction...that will turn us all into a cautious and wary society, which will be endlessly fueled by new fears every fall/winter when the usual cold and flu seasons kick in, which is when all the social stuff is normally at a heightened state...the holidays and all that.
I would really hate to see society go that far...but mostly for me, the music and the desire to interact with other musicians and fans that want to hear your stuff...all that could be permanently destroyed, if we allow this virus to change too dramatically how we interact as a society.
Heck...would people even want to go into a studio to record tracks...or will everyone get use to the idea of staying, playing and recording only at home...???

I'm kind of hoping it has the opposite affect. YouTube is cool but let's go see some music live because we can sort of post reaction.

Speculation is just that... speculation. My fear is that so many of the small places that host local music will just not have the cash flow (at least initially) to be able to afford music as they scramble to bring customers back in and pay the bills.
Here in the US, land of excess, I think there will be a percentage of people who change their lifestyles completely, but a majority will not change (after all,the people who go out to concerts and local shows are a minority of that group).

In other words, maybe people will appreciate it more after this virus panic is over. Because live music is better than anything on video. That was what I was trying to say.

Oh...then I really DO hope you are right. I just keep seeing some folks saying how after the virus, nothing will ever be the same, especially from the social perspective.

Much of my future plans revolve around getting out to play and also bringing people into my new studio to record.
I would hate to see everyone get all "freaky" about socializing indefinitely...like it becomes some new world order or something. :(

I guess that's also why I've been trying to downplay the virus...not in some blind way, I know it's straining our healthcare systems...but just as a counter to some of the fear and panic I've seen with a lot of people. I think the media is mostly to blame for that...they just pound away on all the negative aspects. I wish they would do the opposite...try to calm folks and not spend too much time speculating on how bad it could get, etc.

Most people need to be told how to behave...so driving the fear and panic doesn't help anything.

Anyway...I'm really hoping for the sake of social interaction and all that...that this stuff blows over faster than projected...and the economy would bounce back that much more for sure if it's not too prolonged. We need to get back to feeling good about being out and about.

Once they come up with a treatment protocol, Covid 19 will be a memory, and people will be back to their normal socializing selves.

I remember when I was a kid, polio was a BIG DEAL. Once the Salk and Sabin vaccines were introduced, polio virtually disappeared, at least until the Hollywood know-it-alls decided that they didn't need to have their children vaccinated. I actually have the copy of my immunization paperwork (my parents kept it for all these years).

Once they come up with a treatment protocol, Covid 19 will be a memory, and people will be back to their normal socializing selves.

I think the polio thing was more "singular"...we don't have a variety of polios, unlike respiratory viruses, which are many, and constantly changing.

Yes, the specific COVID-19 virus may become just a memory...but I'm curious if it will permanently change how people behave socially, considering that every couple of years we have some new virus.

From the music perspective...concerts, clubs and bars...etc...it's hard not to be all crammed in together.

I think we’re screwed. As long as fear is pumped into the society via govt and the media we’ll all act on it.
This experiment in social control has been wildly successful, probably more than was hoped for. We will see more “pandemics” like this in the future and they’ll be easier to pull off. Most will believe and comply.
Sadly, I believe freedom to live your life is gone.
Amazing how easily the land of the free and home of the brave, has been transformed into land of the fee and home of the slave.

I think we’re screwed. As long as fear is pumped into the society via govt and the media we’ll all act on it.
This experiment in social control has been wildly successful, probably more than was hoped for. We will see more “pandemics” like this in the future and they’ll be easier to pull off. Most will believe and comply.
Sadly, I believe freedom to live your life is gone.
Amazing how easily the land of the free and home of the brave, has been transformed into land of the fee and home of the slave.

Well...I hope it doesn't go there...but I totally agree that widespread fear and panic is an open door for full-on government control...and many people would be OK with it, if they believe it will make them feel safer.'
It's a "Matrix" reality...you know, where that one guy says he doesn't care if it's not real as long as it seems real to him, he was willing to get plugged back into the Matrix grid and give up his freedom.

Anyway...I'll tell you what's really been bugging me lately on the music side.

As I've been endlessly working with my studio construction, I've had my little "shop" radio always on. It's simpler than screwing around with internet and playlists and all that stuff...the radio I can plug in and dial in some station, and just let it go.
I mostly listen to a fairly diverse station...everything from world music to Punk and Blues...and also some more current stuff, but not from the typical general public artists...but lesser known stuff.

Of course, at some point, I kinda get tired of their playlists, or a couple of their odd programs, so I'll dial in something more common on some "classic Rock" station, because I grew up with that stuff...and man, it's so annoying to listen to those classic Rock stations, because they just cycle the same playlists day in and day out.

I mean..as soon as they say there's a song from Zep, or Van Halen or any classic Rock artists...I know exactly which song they will play before they play it, because they only stick to a specific playlist for all the classic Rock artists...even if you move from one classic Rock station to another...it's the SAME songs.
I mean, it's so pathetic, that after a couple of hours, I'm sick of listening to it.
If they would actuality look at the discography of those artists, they would see that there were MANY other good songs to pick from but now...they just recycle the same ones. :facepalm:

I get so tired of it...that I end up tuning in a classical music station just to cleanse my palate. :D

Classical is good. There’s a reason it has lasted through time. It’s good :)

I get what you’re saying about the classic rock stations. Don’t misunderstand me, I love classic rock. There’s a large body of some great work. The problem is that they play the same damn hits over and over and over again.
The same stuff you got sick of 40 years ago.

Last edited:
Yes...exactly.
Back in the day, DJs were more....ahh...inquisitive/daring...they would play the B-sides, and delve into the lesser played cuts on albums.
Now days, when they focus on "Classic Rock"...they just do the most common "hits" of the era, and ignore all the other great work that those artists did...often on the SAME albums that the hits were pulled from.

I don't know if that is just laziness...or some corporate formula that has analyzed which songs are the most requested...or have they simply forgotten all the rest, and now are turning "Classic Rock" into a cliché genre that is all to predictable to listen to on most stations.

So how are you personally doing out there? Has it forced you to change a lot of your daily lifestyle habits?
I talk to my CA buddy every couple of days on the phone, he's down just southeast of LA...Rancho Santa Margarita. He and his wife are doing OK, both home and all that...but he's already getting concerned about his job...he works for a door/window biz, and he's pretty much the prime sales guy. He can do a lot from home, so the owner of the biz is still paying him, but he's not sure how well the biz will survive if this goes too long. Orders are not coming in, and he can't go out like he use to if he needed to be on-site or visit homeowners, etc.

I just saw that Trump caved in to the fear and panic bunch...and is now extending the nationwide "stay-home" thing until April 30. I'm curious to see how well people take that...I mean, when they days and weeks pass by. For some, it's not going to be easy, mentally or economically.

Well...I'm going back to my studio project work. I got enough to keep me busy for at least a couple of more months. :)

It sounds like I-Heart has taken over your area too! Its a "media conglomerate" situation around here. They own all the bigger stations, including all the old independents that would have DJs that played better music. They used to still have some local announcers, but there was another purge late last year. I think another dozen were cut, including a local sports announcer that had been with the station for about 40 years. It was as if they looked down the salary list and started to scratch off anyone near the top of the list. They were then replaced with a syndicated show.

I've got hundreds of my CDs ripped to hard drive, so I can just drag about dozen albums to media player, and hit play. I'm good for the day.

As I posted in another thread on another site...The Kumbaya effect that has been a side effect of this situation is pretty cool...The amazing generosity and kindness...the other side of the coin of hoarders and troublemakers has been equally amazing.

This all said...we are going through something that not one breathing soul on earth has ever been through before and the after effects and changes in how we go about life have been and will forever be changed. This has forced all of us to ...stop, take a look around, evaluate and strategize how we are going to get through this. Innovation is rampant, the use of Zoom / Hangouts . people who have never posted videos of themselves performing live..People with gun to head being forced to learn how to use that damn computer to communicate and do virtual business. This catastrophe is causing a permanent paradigm shift in how we go about life and doing business and in many ways it has forced us to move forward with technology while educating us on how to avoid getting colds and flus of the future...Some amazing insight into mankind going on here... There is a positive side to all of this though this is certainly a not so fun situation right now...Y'all be safe and now that you have some extra spare time get some recording and videos out there to share with this dismal world that needs some cheering up! :guitar:

Let's bang on relentlessly about that bridge when we come to it.

Or lets burn that bridge after we get over it ;)

Who said anything about a bridge...?...after the second verse, we go right into the chorus.
I guess you guys didn't learn your parts. :(

That's what practice is for, to get ready for what's to come, and sometimes you have to practice relentlessly. ;)

So how are you personally doing out there? Has it forced you to change a lot of your daily lifestyle habits?

I just saw that Trump caved in to the fear and panic bunch...and is now extending the nationwide "stay-home" thing until April 30. I'm curious to see how well people take that...I mean, when they days and weeks pass by. For some, it's not going to be easy, mentally or economically.
:)
Yup Trump caved. His “advisors” got to him.

I don’t doubt that this virus exists.... but I can’t believe a word our govt or media tells us. These are two authoritative entities that have been caught lying again and again, and now we’re supposed to believe them???
“ come on, trust us. We’re telling you the truth now......really....honest!”

I have a buddy who’s been fighting cancer the last 5 years. He recently came back from a Mexico vacation. He developed pneumonia like symptoms and went to a prestigious hospital emergency room. Said he was the ONLY one there with covid symptoms. It was all filled up with accident victims. No fevers, hacking etc. just dumbasses. Oh, his tests came back neg.

For me life hasn’t changed much. I’m out of the city, and things are relatively normal. Working from home is a blessing, but I fear the ripple effects of the government’s shutdown will cause massive music industry problems.
This is touring season. Or was. All at a standstill now.

The “cure” is based on hyped numbers and models, and is akin to burning down your house because you have cockroaches.

I fear there will be more ruined lives and suicides based on the government’s actions than the disease would cause.

But hey, they care, they’re trying to save lives.
BS!

Working from home is a blessing, but I fear the ripple effects of the government’s shutdown will cause massive music industry problems.
This is touring season. Or was. All at a standstill now.

Yeah...that's what I was thinking too...it's going to be hard to kickstart all those concerts and all the local venues that have music...not to mention, it will be difficult to get the paying public feeling comfortable about going to them.

All the stuff they are telling us to do is so very much like the "duck, roll and cover" advice back in the '50s. :D

The damage has been done. People are in fear, and willingly have bought into the agenda.

They have created the perfect control system. Get us scared of each other. Your friend, your neighbor, or even your spouse, could be the carrier of that silent invisible killer!

Long after these draconian control measures are lifted (most likely just partially) most people will still be self regulating these recommendations.

Back