Movies about the business

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I just watched That's The Way Of The World (1975) for the first time. Another excellent movie I had no idea existed in my youth.

From the build-up, I thought it was going to be a sort of docu-drama about Earth, Wind and Fire making it in the business - but, nooOOOoooo... They were merely an excellent group which the producer guy wanted to take to the top. He gets kicked around and comes out nicely in the end with a twist. Really a good movie.

I'm giving this one 5 Stars.

I've always had a soft spot for Paul Simon's One Trick Pony. There's some OUTSTANDING playing in that movie, the "band" that he had with Steve Gadd, Eric Gale, Richard Tee and Tony Levin were TIGHT!

Its also a bit funny to hear them playing at the Agora in Cleveland, only to be "outdone" by the B52's Rock Lobster.

Another oldie. How about............ 'That'll be the day' .... 1973. Then the follow up 'Stardust' .... 1974.

Starred Keith Moon, Ringo Starr, David Essex and more.

Story of struggling young ones getting first contracts and then all the dirty stuff starts. Splits and the downward spiral. I found the end got lost a bit but the rest good. As it was in the 60's and 70s'.

Last edited:
That Thing You Do!

While it doesn't focus heavily on the biz angle, it's a cute little film. Light hearted viewing about a one hit wonder band in the 60s. There are illustrations of some familiar pit falls. I'm sure a lot of us have at least at one time been in a band that was too clever by half and named the band something that was mispronounced just as often as not. They were initially called The Oneders(The O Nee Ders!), until professionals get involved and they just go with The Wonders. There's a cute little scene where you get to share in the excitement of hearing yourself on the radio for the first time. There is controversy when on the Sullivan Show they scan from band member to band member with a caption for each, they get to the lead singer and the caption reads, "Careful girls, he's engaged!". which in a way harkens back to hding the fact that John Lennon was married and not available for adoration. While not necessarily a Yoko, there's even a chick hang about. It has a pretty decent soundtrack of as far as I know all original pop tunes. I've seen it a couple of times and enjoyed it both times.

In a similar vein to That Thing You Do was the movie Music and Lyrics.

Its the story of a former member of pop duo called "Pop". Its like following the life of the other guy in Wham! after George Michael left. This is the opening of the movie. Some of the music was written by Adam Schlesinger. Cute movie, Drew Barrymore is quite adorable.

I caught this one on a flight back from China...I'm old, I dig the main song and the intertwining of song writing and relationships and the birth of a song ...the end of a musical moment.

I suppose each one of our personal musical journeys stories could be dramatized into a movie.

Once...

Rudderless was good. It's not a movie primarily about the music business, but music is a prominent element.

"The Rutles - All you need is cash" has a few funny moments but in its Beatle spoofiness, tries a bit too hard at times. I did like the controversy over Ron Nasty supposedly saying the band were bigger than God and it turns out he said "Rod" as in Stewart.
But aside from the actual film, it's their music that is utterly amazing. I still laugh at their spoofs but the thing is that the songs are magnificent. Some of them are as brilliant as the actual Beatle songs they parody ~ and I say that as a Beatle lover for 45 years.

Last edited:
Certainly has its moments. Some of them are a bit close to the bone but the songs are way better than the movie.

Well....It looks like we are in for an "interesting and informative" Beatles documentary. Sometime in 2021 time...maybe
But this is good enough for now...me likey!

It's great to see them smiling, laughing and having fun. Just beautiful. Ringo's snare reminded me of when we had acoustic practices in one of our living rooms.. our drummer had towels over all his drums.

Back