Merry Christmas to all you Home wreckers!

Oyster Stew is delicious. I've seen different versions, or recipes, but i'm a purist, no potatoes or anything like that. It's pretty simple. On about medium to medium high heat, melt about 3/4 to one stick of real sweet cream unsalted butter in a pot. Don't brown. Dump in a quart of oysters in their own liquor into the pot. Add salt and some black pepper. Let it gently simmer until the oysters start to curl. Then add about 3/4 gallon of whole milk. Set the heat to medium low and let stew for at least an hour. During, check the level of salt. Salt will draw the flavor out of the oysters, but it shouldn't be too salty. To each their own, but I like a lot of oyster crackers in mine. I don't want to drink it, I want to eat it. In a bowl, or soup mug, oyster stew and a fair amount of crackers. Once the crackers get soggy and soak up the stew, go at it. It becomes almost like a light porridge, the soggy crackers keep it in the taste zone rather than going quickly down the hatch. IMO, cheap crackers with not as much toasty taste are preferable. It can go pretty quick, so best to be prepared to make more, or use a bigger pot. It ain't cheap eats, Oysters these days are going for about $20 a pint. Worth every penny. Oysters cooked(or raw on the half shell) in any fashion are my #1 favorite. An oyster shooter, raw oyster in a small glass, a bit of cocktail sauce, a couple ounces of beer. Shoot it, but you gotta chew! Oh yeah.

Oysters are interesting little creatures. Here, Chesapeake Bay area in Virginia where I live, best oysters in the world. At a time in history they were everywhere, the natives had an unlimited and constant replenishing supply. They are making a comeback, somewhat. Efforts to clean The Bay, aquaculture, etc have helped. Although it is illegal to harvest them, I see them all the time fishing or kayaking in the tributaries. The beds are exposed as the tide ebbs. They spit little streams of water, it is both amusing and beautiful, a dance. They filter the water.

The good book says we should not eat oysters, forbidden. We are all flawed, we all sin to some extent or another. It is important that we acknowledge this fact. According to The New Testament, Jesus came to forgive us of our sins. He taught, provided an example, and ultimately suffered greatly so that we may be forgiven. He could have saved himself, yet He did not, He fulfilled prophecy. He died for each and every one of us. He loves us with a love we cannot fully comprehend. Think of it how your heart swells when you look at your grandchild, that rush of emotion, as if you could not love anything more, or didn't realize you had the capacity to love so much. That, and more. He is our savior and redemptor. Yet, in celebration of his birth, we do that which is forbidden, by eating oysters. Perhaps it is fitting that we do so?

Merry Christmas, brother Snowman, and everyone.

The good book says we should not eat oysters, forbidden
To be honest, that was only specific to Israel and then, time specific in that Jesus' coming signalled the beginning of the end of those dietary laws as a strict and mandatory thing.
It's a long, but interesting story. I've been in Christ for 35 years having been atheist prior to that and the bible as we tend to think about it is actually quite a hard book to get everything in context.....but by no means impossible.

Yet, in celebration of his birth, we do that which is forbidden, by eating oysters. Perhaps it is fitting that we do so?

Sinner! :laughings:

Like GT said that is old testament Jewish stuff...we can eat shellfish and not be breaking any rules..

Thanks for the explanation / recipe ...gonna have to try it out...We probably discussed this before but a very close business partners of mine resided in Chesapeake until he passed last year...Dave's Cabinets, Dave's Granite...such a bitchin brother miss that son of a gun. A true bloodline descendant of the infamous Daniel Boone. I still communicate with his sons I'll have to ask them about the stew.

Merry Christmas Mick!

To be honest, that was only specific to Israel and then, time specific in that Jesus' coming signalled the beginning of the end of those dietary laws as a strict and mandatory thing.
It's a long, but interesting story. I've been in Christ for 35 years having been atheist prior to that and the bible as we tend to think about it is actually quite a hard book to get everything in context.....but by no means impossible.

Those dietary laws had as much to do with food safety at the time than anything, I would think. Although obviously some would differ about an end to dietary laws, it's not an important issue for debate, here.

The point, Jesus loves you, and oysters are delicious. Do you enjoy eating oysters, ever had oyster stew?

Sinner! :laughings:

Like GT said that is old testament Jewish stuff...we can eat shellfish and not be breaking any rules..

Thanks for the explanation / recipe ...gonna have to try it out...We probably discussed this before but a very close business partners of mine resided in Chesapeake until he passed last year...Dave's Cabinets, Dave's Granite...such a bitchin brother miss that son of a gun. A true bloodline descendant of the infamous Daniel Boone. I still communicate with his sons I'll have to ask them about the stew.

Merry Christmas Mick!

lol @ Jewish stuff :laughings:

I am a sinner! I often ask for forgiveness and request an intervention. Jesus did say he did not come to destroy the law but to fulfill it. On the other hand he also said, it is not what you put in your mouth that can defile you, but what comes out of it. Truth, at times i'm a grumpy old bastard and not as good an example of a Christian as i'd like or should be. Although I do try, if anyone needs Jesus....

I think I remember that name, Dave's Cabinets. Sorry about your friend's passing.

A few years back Food Lion had some oysters after Christmas that they had marked down to get rid of, I reckon. West coast oysters. Washington state, I think. Date was good, liquor was nice and clear, so I bought some and made a pot of stew. Those oysters were huge! Not as much taste and the damn bulbous part was about as big around as a golf ball. Yeah, I dig oysters, but they were a bit of a challenge. I think i'll stick with east coast oysters, for sure.

A few years back Food Lion had some oysters after Christmas that they had marked down to get rid of, I reckon. West coast oysters. Washington state, I think. Date was good, liquor was nice and clear, so I bought some and made a pot of stew. Those oysters were huge! Not as much taste and the damn bulbous part was about as big around as a golf ball. Yeah, I dig oysters, but they were a bit of a challenge. I think i'll stick with east coast oysters, for sure.
Last time I made Oysters Rockefeller (1984), I bought jarred oysters at the local Giant Food in Md. I can't say where they were from but they also were huuuge. I had gotten some large oyster half-shells for the dish and these oysters nearly filled them completely.

You know who we need in this thread? Miroslav. He off ban yet? I'm tired of taking all the damn heat! :mad:

:laughings:

Merry Christmas, Miroslav!

Don't go there, please.
Yo brother that was GT and then I that went there not Mick and it was not in any way disrespecting Judaism... just discussing the dietary laws that were set in place prior to Christianity and that in GT and my opinion they are not expected to be adhered to in todays Christianity rule book..

You know who we need in this thread? Miroslav. He off ban yet? I'm tired of taking all the damn heat! :mad:

Merry Christmas, Miroslav!

Yeah pretty sure they only gave Miro a month in the hole but have not seen hide nor hair of him since. Hopefully he did not take getting the ban so seriously as to say adios to us all. Definitely a stubborn hard head but he brings a spice to the party that keeps things interesting, albeit God damn annoying sometimes :laughings: but basically a good brother!

Why would Miroslav get banned for a month? Why would anyone get banned for a month? FREEDOM of SPEECH. Be as big a "you know what" as you want. People can either ignore or argue. That's my thought anyway. I'm not one for time outs.

STICKY TOFFEE PUDDING

I don't have a clue as to what's in it. But, Karen makes a delicious one. It's definitely from the UK. I couldn't describe the taste. But, I love caramel. The melted topping has that caramel taste.

Years ago I went to see Slade 2/Suzi Quatro in Brighton and spent a day in London. I ate at a place "Ruby in the Sand" and tried what IMO was the most magnificent dessert I'd ever had. It was a dark chocolate warm cake, with the richest caramel topping I'd ever had. It was delicious. I went back before I came home and they were out of stock. When I returned years later to see Carbon Silicon they'd gone out of business. Sticky Toffee Pudding (it looks like cake) is not quite as good as Ruby's. But, it's close enough.
sticky-toffee-pudding-recipe.jpg

What I am absolutely dying to have is a REAL watercrest sandwich. Not because of it's British ties. But, I remember on I Love Lucy her and Elsa Lancaster buy watercrest sandwiches and try to tell the waitress that the other is a killer (from what I remember).

The few times I've been to the UK I've wanted to have high tea. But, not where you pay $150 a person at a hotel. But, a little more reasonable. Where normal citizens eat. I couldn't find a place. Not only that, I could barely find tea. There are plenty of coffee houses and the pubs were mobbed at lunch time. But, tea? I guess the British have turned their backs on it.

Why would Miroslav get banned for a month? Why would anyone get banned for a month? FREEDOM of SPEECH. Be as big a "you know what" as you want. People can either ignore or argue. That's my thought anyway. I'm not one for time outs.

I am not sure of the details as I didn't give the time out. But be sure there was a reason for it.

None of us mods here really give a shit about personal things as long as it is in the guidelines of the TOS we are supposed to adhere to. Even then we tend to let things go.

Pretty sure it was a trolling thing... In any case, freedom of speech is only relevant in a place not owned by a business. No shoes, no shirt, no service. Same applies here.

Strangely, there is much to be said about that lately with FB and using the ability to manipulate peoples posts for a monetary or political gain.

I can assure you, that was not the case with Miro.

Where is that guy anyway? I miss the banter myself! :)

STICKY TOFFEE PUDDING

I don't have a clue as to what's in it. But, Karen makes a delicious one. It's definitely from the UK. I couldn't describe the taste. But, I love caramel. The melted topping has that caramel taste.

Years ago I went to see Slade 2/Suzi Quatro in Brighton and spent a day in London. I ate at a place "Ruby in the Sand" and tried what IMO was the most magnificent dessert I'd ever had. It was a dark chocolate warm cake, with the richest caramel topping I'd ever had. It was delicious. I went back before I came home and they were out of stock. When I returned years later to see Carbon Silicon they'd gone out of business. Sticky Toffee Pudding (it looks like cake) is not quite as good as Ruby's. But, it's close enough.
View attachment 107667

What I am absolutely dying to have is a REAL watercrest sandwich. Not because of it's British ties. But, I remember on I Love Lucy her and Elsa Lancaster buy watercrest sandwiches and try to tell the waitress that the other is a killer (from what I remember).

The few times I've been to the UK I've wanted to have high tea. But, not where you pay $150 a person at a hotel. But, a little more reasonable. Where normal citizens eat. I couldn't find a place. Not only that, I could barely find tea. There are plenty of coffee houses and the pubs were mobbed at lunch time. But, tea? I guess the British have turned their backs on it.

Yummy!

Yeah, I think Miro got the ban for what a particular mod saw as overzealous responses to another poster who has a tendency towards dissecting other's posts sentence by sentence. Go figure. Apparently there is some history there of which I am unaware or haven't cared to pay attention. I did see where that mod seemed sandy bottomed and wanted to shut discussion down in the covid thread. Appeared to give Miro a warning for......being too discussiony?

I'd like to see Miro return, let bygones be bygones.

Those dietary laws had as much to do with food safety at the time than anything, I would think
Not really. God had a specific reason for wanting the Israelites to be set apart and different from the nations around them and that's reflected in much of their Torah. People for example think that the pig was regarded as unclean because it didn't chew the cud. But there were animals that chewed the cud but were unclean. The criteria is kind of arbitrary and was more about whether the people would obey instructions trusting God.
Often they didn't.
Although obviously some would differ about an end to dietary laws, it's not an important issue for debate, here
Can't argue with that....unless someone wants to debate it !
oysters are delicious. Do you enjoy eating oysters, ever had oyster stew?
I don't think I've ever had oysters. I don't even think I've ever been offered oysters. Come to think of it, I don't even think I've seen oysters ! But I'm not beyond trying them.

Ha ha, I wonder who that could be ?

As I said, it's not an important issue to debate, here. That was a polite way of saying I do not wish to be hounded and dragged into an extended back and forth. If you can't respect that, i'm sorry, there's nothing further that can be done than for Steen to ban you for 30 days.

I kid :D.........sorta

Back