Long term musical memory

grimtraveller

If only for a moment.....
Have you ever had the experience where you heard a song or piece or tune just the once and then didn't hear it for years/decades but remembered it throughout that time......and then heard it again ?
That's happened to me a few times. Sometimes, the song was almost nothing like I had remembered it all those years. But on other occasions, it was scarily accurate.

No idea why but I can still remember the fruity marshmallow crispies song from the commercial. That's probably 32 years ago.

Alice Cooper sang "Dead Babies" on a sunday mystery of the week "Snoop Sisters" episode. This was about 1973 ish. I was maybe 9-10 and I couldn't believe I just heard the sentences
"dead babies can't fend for themselves, dead babies don't know what they want". I just heard it again last week in a special on Axes tv Alice Cooper doc.

Not on a single listen. But. many songs I haven't heard in years always sound nice when I eventually rehear them.

Many many moons ago I was taking the train home, and these guys were playing a Raggae cassette (back when people carried boom boxes) and it had extreme melodies over the usual Raggae sound. It was magnificent. I was too drunk to ask who it was. But, it was a great ride. A few times I asked in Jamaican music shops what I was looking for, and no one even understood what I was talking about. I know I wouldn't recognize the songs, but I know I'd recognize the sound. While this is extreme (and not correct) it'd be like Frank Sinatra singing over a Bob Marley musical track. It didn't sound like it should mix, but it mixed beautifully.

Back